Is war a time to do terrible things ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 7:40 am

I remember watching something where they were debating waterboarding terrorist suspects and whether or not leaders should act on the information being forced out by the suspects to act fast in the event of a coming terrorist attack. It seems quite problematic as I don't really agree with torture and I think I would question the evidence particular if torture was involved as they may have been tortured to say things they didn't want in order to stop the torture. I remember someone saying ''Well, unfortunately it has to be done, it may seem wrong but sometimes we have to do something wrong in order to win the war and we have to terrify them into not fighting and terrorising us.'' Its like fighting fire with fire. I also remember watch a world war 2 documentary about when the British sank the French fleet, because of the fear it could get into German hands over a 1,000 French sailors were killed, it seemed like such a shameful thing to do against an ally and people have argued it may have been something that went too far but sacrifices had to made for the greater good otherwise the Germans would have had a fleet much bigger than the Royal Navy and we would have lost the war. The French are even today still very bitter against us for carrying out that attack and both sides have probably never forgiven each other.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2021, 8:28 pm

I'm 3rd generation family who were active hot war military participants, by circumstance. Your question and thoughts are very important one's for all to ask before "hot war times," because things happen too fast in war.

The actions "in war" can all be "studied" as choices between getting damaged or doing damage to prevent being damaged. High emotional states don't allow real time "in war" studies tho.

Hurts and damages do happen and all those giving or getting such, get damaged, incuding those who just watch. My grandfather was a Navy MD, he said the post war effects then were called "soldiers heart" and accepted as an almost "state of nature consequence." But war is where people do hurt, and do damage.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 11:48 pm

Well, if you think it through and start deciding what should and shouldn't be done, you'd soon realize that war is pointless in the first place. But IF you've reached the point where war is happening...then, yes, WAR is hell. Anything goes. Not saying I agree with that, or with WAR as a concept. But if there were self-imposed limits, then there'd be no war to begin with. If two or more parties have reached the point of warfare, atrocities (terrible as they are) shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jun 2021, 10:15 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I remember someone saying ''Well, unfortunately it has to be done, it may seem wrong but sometimes we have to do something wrong in order to win the war and we have to terrify them into not fighting and terrorising us.'' Its like fighting fire with fire.
This is why war starts in the 1st place. One or both sides are afraid of each other & instead of trying to work things out peacefully, they decide they need to fight back & both sides consider each other mortal enemies. War could be avoided if both sides were wanting to find compromises instead of only wanting to slaughter each other without giving one flying f#ck about their own people who are ordered to die in their name. Does hating each other really justify all those lives that are lost :?: I think NOT but I am very well aware that I am in the minority.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 12:49 am

That's why the expression is "War is Hell."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 10:18 am

They say that "all is fair in love and in war". Maybe true of love, but it isnt really true in war, because there are rules in warfare set down by international law.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Jun 2021, 11:06 am

naturalplastic wrote:
They say that "all is fair in love and in war". Maybe true of love, but it isnt really true in war, because there are rules in warfare set down by international law.
There may be official rules in warfare determined by international law but plenty of countries break those rules. Sometimes one side is trying to fight fair & the other is fighting dirty & other times both sides are fighting dirty. The citizens in those countries are the 1s who have to suffer the most because their rulers do not care at all about them. Some wars last for many decades & neither sides really knows how the war even got started in the 1st place like the Israelis & the Palestinians. Both sides just know that they hate the other side because of the terrible things that were done to them but nobody remembers the terrible things that their own side has done to the other.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2021, 1:20 pm

A war has size and duration when studied. At the smaller scales it's you and bullys. It's "very terrible things" times at places! It's supported, condoned or stoped, all with damges, often very terrible things