Should "shotgun' for sitting in the front seat be

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2021, 9:56 am

Should saying "shotgun" for when you sit in the front seat be changed to something else that doesn't mention guns?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 10:50 am

Comes from the old west stage coaches. The guy on the left holds the reins on the team of horses, while the guy on the right has his hands free, and so can cradle a shotgun in arms to fend off wild Indians and bandits.

The expression does not encourage gun violence. Canceling it would not decrease gun violence. As far as I can see.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 11:23 am

Too much canceling. Not enough solutions...

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2021, 1:00 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Comes from the old west stage coaches. The guy on the left holds the reins on the team of horses, while the guy on the right has his hands free, and so can cradle a shotgun in arms to fend off wild Indians and bandits.

The expression does not encourage gun violence. Canceling it would not decrease gun violence. As far as I can see.

I guess that the expression does not really encourage gun violence much like referring to things as "the bomb" does not encourage bombings.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 2:57 pm

I think bigger priorities exist than changing the term used for claiming the front seat.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jun 2021, 10:45 pm

The term "shotgun" is pretty dated these days. I think the updated term would be something like "machine gun" or "Uzi" . The passenger uses a machine gun when doing drive-bys. More seriously though, changing the term is a case of political correctness worrying about terminology instead of trying to take real action to reduce gun violence. Instead of trying to address the root causes of violence like poor mental health care, poverty, drugs, influence in the media(movies, video-games, music), ease of access to guns, a culture of bullying, racism, & religious discrimination. Changing the slang term "shutgun" to another term for front seat will be as effective as having a moment of silence after every mass shooting.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 10:54 pm

If you use the expression

you might

TRIGGER somebody!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 11:10 pm

"Shotgun" and "shots" are also drinking terms.
So is "bomb".