Your cursing Cortex, and Cursing basal ganglia (BrainFacts)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Peter Crawford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2021, 12:36 pm

It seems like people who loose the ability to speak sometimes retain their capacity to swear.

An article from the site "BrainFacts.org" on the appearingly very primitive ability to curse :

https://www.brainfacts.org/thinking-sensing-and-behaving/language/2019/your-cursing-cortex-071019

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 12:44 pm

Interesting.

That might explain Tourettes Syndrome - curse words being assigned to a different part of the human brain than the rest of speech.

Peter Crawford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2021, 8:10 am

I think there is something about Tourette syndrome somewhere in the document yes.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 7:30 pm

Ty, @OP

I'll add that the ability to sing is at least partially separate from the ability to speak. Often ppl with 'expressive aphasia' can sing what they want to say, though they cannot speak it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 7:36 pm

Peter Crawford wrote:
It seems like people who loose the ability to speak sometimes retain their capacity to swear.

Well that's explains everything about me, then! :twisted:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 8:34 pm

Reminds me of work today. We go into stores and physically count their inventor by scanning the barcodes on products with little laser gun computer things.

The sales lady from the Dept store were serving, happened to be an Asian Indian. I pointed out that some of the clothes I was counted had non functioning barcodes. She said "its the those f*****g people who work here...they should know that you cant scan triple zeros". I dunno. The F bomb coming out of the lips of a foreign immigrant just seems funny to me. Like when the president of Mexico said of Trump that "were not paying for his f*****g wall".

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 9:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Reminds me of work today. We go into stores and physically count their inventor by scanning the barcodes on products with little laser gun computer things.

The sales lady from the Dept store were serving, happened to be an Asian Indian. I pointed out that some of the clothes I was counted had non functioning barcodes. She said "its the those f*****g people who work here...they should know that you cant scan triple zeros". I dunno. The F bomb coming out of the lips of a foreign immigrant just seems funny to me. Like when the president of Mexico said of Trump that "were not paying for his f*****g wall".

My kinda woman. :heart: