Saying the steps of doing a task in your head?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jun 2021, 12:50 pm

I notice I do this a lot at work, even with things I've done tons of times. I find myself "talking" myself through the steps of doing something in my head. Even typing in passwords into my computer I will spell it out in my head as I am typing. I think it is because I'm afraid I will forget or mess something up if I don't do so. I also will talk in my head "ok do this then that, don't forget that" even at work with tasks I do every day it doesn't matter. Work gets so anxiety inducing because they don't care if you are doing a good job, they only notice if something gets messed up. I don't think I tend to do it as much at home, but I'm usually not doing anything that has too many steps to it, and also I'm not usually stressed out at home.

differentpage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2021, 2:54 pm

Yeah, I do that if it's complicated. I think it's more due to not trusting my memory, and maybe a mild ADD.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 12:40 pm

Whenever I need to keep my thoughts clear I'll put them into words in my head (which would often include the steps of doing a task), though I thought that was normal. Some people claim to think in words, presumably they say everything in their heads.

I also find it a helpful clarifier to speak my thoughts out loud rather than just speak them with my "mind's mouth." I sometimes dislike it when I'm pondering something difficult alone and people move within earshot of me, because I'm not too sure if it's socially acceptable to talk to myself.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 3:28 pm

Yes, talk myself through most things - mainly in my head though sometimes out loud if I am on my own.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 4:23 pm

I talk things through in my mind, or if particularly scatter brained that day, I'll say it out loud.

If I'm having trouble remembering a task, such as having to move from my office to home, or even to another room, I will saying to myself, out loud or under my breath, over and over again, "stamps, stamps, stamps, stamps" until I get the stamps. Then I have to say "envelope, envelope, envelope" until I get the envelope. I can usually manage from there. :D

It feels weird or even stupid to have to do this, but at least I am at an age where I really don't care about that stuff anymore. Whatever works is my motto.

differentpage

18 Jul 2021, 7:27 pm

Blazing Star, we are in the same boat. I wonder if it's our age, or if we have ADD tendencies. Some days I have to chant "pay attention, pay attention, pay attention" when I'm driving because my mind wanders and I almost get into accidents. Scatterbrained is a good description.

Lady Strange, might you have ADD? There may be different degrees of it as there seem to be with so many malfunctions.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 7:29 pm

Telecommute

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 3:19 am

Lady Strange wrote:
I notice I do this a lot at work, even with things I've done tons of times. I find myself "talking" myself through the steps of doing something in my head. Even typing in passwords into my computer I will spell it out in my head as I am typing. I think it is because I'm afraid I will forget or mess something up if I don't do so. I also will talk in my head "ok do this then that, don't forget that" even at work with tasks I do every day it doesn't matter. Work gets so anxiety inducing because they don't care if you are doing a good job, they only notice if something gets messed up. I don't think I tend to do it as much at home, but I'm usually not doing anything that has too many steps to it, and also I'm not usually stressed out at home.

I also do this. It's incredibly annoying in fact so much so often it causes nme so much stress, anxiety and depression, on top of feeling like an autistic ret*d, s**t c**t, scum and often to f**k off as everyone hates me, literally. I can't stand this anymore and am totally immensely suicidal! If I had a handgun I wouldn't hesitate to kill my self. I just want a pain free death. Plus I'm conscious about not wanting to traumatise others. I'm traumatised enough.. I've nobody in my life.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 7:40 pm

differentpage wrote:
Blazing Star, we are in the same boat. I wonder if it's our age, or if we have ADD tendencies. Some days I have to chant "pay attention, pay attention, pay attention" when I'm driving because my mind wanders and I almost get into accidents. Scatterbrained is a good description.

Lady Strange, might you have ADD? There may be different degrees of it as there seem to be with so many malfunctions.

I suspect some of it is age.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2021, 8:50 pm

Not sure if I have ADD, heck maybe I do I don't know. I always have to write stuff down too to remember it. If I can get away with it without looking crazy I talk out loud to myself all the time.

Danusaurus, I am sorry you are having such a rough time. All this can be just crap to deal with, and there are plenty of times I just want to give up too. I'm glad I've found all of you because its good to talk to others who can understand.