Are you truely responsible for your own life?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 7:39 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
It's becoming increasingly difficult to convince people that not everything in one's own life is self-determined.

There are indeed some situations and some cases, which are beyond our reach and beyond what we can act on to make any difference, yet it can have huge effects on our own lives.

But we're not allowed to lay blame on external factors, what so ever.

It's almost as if an earthquake could hit, and you're becoming homeless. And that's all YOUR responsibility and you should not expect society to help.

Or illness, disabilities etc. making it impossible to get a job, but you're not allowed to blame your illness and you should not expect welfare.

What do you call this phenomenon? And how to react against it?

By the way go here. viewtopic.php?t=392491

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 7:51 am

There's a game human beings, like all other organisms, are playing called Darwinian Stomp-Out. At the human level and for higher social primates of the sort whose social spheres are more primary than the physical part of the psychological game is - wherever possible inflate your ego and feed your sense of grandiose because it's part of how you menace and intimidate the people you're in genetic warfare with - which is pretty much anyone who isn't your immediate family.

This is one of those spaces where the point isn't to see the truth, it's to have a story about one's own genetic superiority. It's just one of many aggressive social climbing tools one's supposed to use if they want to step on heads to get ahead or be 'apex predators' of the human world.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 7:27 pm

you can't prepare for being born with certain genes, in a certain environment. you're not responsible for how your metabolism gets shaped by the nutritional state your mother was in when pregnant.

your genetic makeup and your environment are therefore, by this logic, "acts of god".
what books you encounter in life. someone else's life, which you may involuntarily play a supporting role in, or maybe you're just an extra.

given the amount of factors that are compmetely outside your control, like all the circumstances that led to your existence in the way you are existing right now, rich people talking about responsibility are just gaslighting poor people to avoid getting guillotined.

jesus, if I were to take responsibility, chances are I'd start shooting people. I mean, that's exactly where French existentialism ended: in revolutionary violence.

but don't worry abput the victims of revolutionary violence - it's their responsibility to prepare for violence, isn't it?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 8:10 pm

i would think hard about putting some of those bastards in the apparatus facing UP.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 1:11 am

If you know how a vacuum cleaner works, you won't vacuum in a different way, as neuroscientist Dick Swaab famously said.