Are you truely responsible for your own life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 4:20 pm

It's becoming increasingly difficult to convince people that not everything in one's own life is self-determined.

There are indeed some situations and some cases, which are beyond our reach and beyond what we can act on to make any difference, yet it can have huge effects on our own lives.

But we're not allowed to lay blame on external factors, what so ever.

It's almost as if an earthquake could hit, and you're becoming homeless. And that's all YOUR responsibility and you should not expect society to help.

Or illness, disabilities etc. making it impossible to get a job, but you're not allowed to blame your illness and you should not expect welfare.

What do you call this phenomenon? And how to react against it?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 6:10 pm

It's called *maturity*.

Mature people realize bad things can happen, so they prepare.

"Save your money for a rainy day"
"Plan for the worst, hope for the best"
"Chance favors the prepared mind"

Be the hero of your life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 7:28 pm

We, as individuals, are responsible for our own lives.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 11:54 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Or illness, disabilities etc. making it impossible to get a job, but you're not allowed to blame your illness and you should not expect welfare.

"An act of God" is the name of natural disasters beyond one's control that can seriously unsettle one's life. Doesn't matter if you believe in God or not, it's a figure of speech to describe natural events that couldn't be avoided or planned for and have long-lasting life consequences.

"Genetic Determinism" for the things we couldn't help, things that either limit or enhance our abilities to function in life, all due to genetics.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 12:23 am

It's becoming increasingly difficult to convince people that not everything in one's own life is self-determined.

There are indeed some situations and some cases, which are beyond our reach and beyond what we can act on to make any difference, yet it can have huge effects on our own lives.

But we're not allowed to lay blame on external factors, what so ever.

It's almost as if an earthquake could hit, and you're becoming homeless. And that's all YOUR responsibility and you should not expect society to help.

I say yay to blaming external factors, since it turns out that is actually significant when it comes to poor people.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 12:26 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
It's called *maturity*.

What if you don't make enough to save for that rainy day?

What if your plans for the worst are misguided and would not actually make you safer.

Also, just seems like plenty of prepared minds could not handle the consequences and are bitching about them, just look at the capital insurrectionists insisting there is no reason for them to get arrested.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 2:49 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
It's called *maturity*.

There's a lot of stuff you cannot prepare for, and many people don't have enough money to prepare for stuff like this.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 5:00 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

What if your plans for the worst are misguided and would not actually make you safer.

Also, just seems like plenty of prepared minds could not handle the consequences and are bitching about them, just look at the capital insurrectionists insisting there is no reason for them to get arrested.

People who cannot (or don't) prepare for risk are likely more often victims than those that do.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 6:05 am

One size does not fit all.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 6:09 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

People who cannot (or don't) prepare for risk are likely more often victims than those that do.

If they cannot prepare for a risk, it's not their own fault or responsibility.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 9:32 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

If they cannot prepare for a risk, it's not their own fault or responsibility.

It's everyone responsibility to prepare for risk.

If you can't, then it's your responsibility to minimize risk and be as careful as possible.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 10:00 pm

some of us have nothing in our lives remotely suggested of "free will."

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 2:25 am

"Are You Truely Responsible For Your Own Life?"

If by 'you' you mean the subconscious, then the answer is a bit yes, the subconscious is the "maker" of your behaviour, to hold this maker responsible for your actions does not seem tenable to me. This subconscious makes the decision before it reaches our conscious mind.

If by 'you' you mean consciousness the answer is no, the conscious is the 100% slave of subconsciousness. That i don't have free will feels like a great liberation to me, it may sound strange, but that's how i feel. I only realize that i have no free will when i am in a robot mode. A robot that draws conclusions from machines such as an fmri scanner.
In everyday life, say 99% of the time, I do live in the illusion that I do have free will.
This illusion has come through evolution.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 5:17 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
If you can't, then it's your responsibility to minimize risk and be as careful as possible.

That's not good enough. I've been as careful as possible, yet I've been injured, despite being very, very careful.

How's it my own fault that I got injured, when I tried everything to AVOID getting that exact injury?

If I have to be even more careful, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning, out of fear that I might get injured. Meaning I'll get even more illnesses - physical illness like diabetes or worse, because of lack of exercise.

You can't prepare for everything, and even if you could, you still cannot avoid fate.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2021, 7:06 am

It's not a 100%-yes-or-no answer. The usual analogy is a game of cards - you can play your best with your hand (set of cards), and to an extent learn how to play better (and bluffing tactics are as valid as card-value algorithms), but you don't control what you get dealt. Sometimes, people just get a terrible starting point, and the only way they have a chance to get ahead is pure luck of the cards, not anything they can do themselves.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 7:35 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
It's called *maturity*.

Is it possible to prepare for all bad things and if yes then how?