4 Catholic Churches burned down (so far!) in BC

Page 9 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 3:21 pm

Yeah, the schools in Canada and the U.S. were horrible.

Kill the Indian, Save the Man

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 3:27 pm

/\ Funeral,I am truly sorry all that happened.
And I agree that reparations should be made.
I don’t like the lone wolf or small group arsonists that could endanger innocent living people that are now living near those churches.
I didn’t scream throw the book at them.
No one even knows who did it yet.It could have been drunken teenagers, a former victim, or someone who just likes to set fires.If enough of them are set ,it’s just a matter of time before someone gets hurt or injured and that will just cause more suffering.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 3:42 pm

Misslizard wrote:
/\ Funeral,I am truly sorry all that happened.
And I agree that reparations should be made.
I don’t like the lone wolf or small group arsonists that could endanger innocent living people that are now living near those churches.
I didn’t scream throw the book at them.
No one even knows who did it yet.It could have been drunken teenagers, a former victim, or someone who just likes to set fires.If enough of them are set ,it’s just a matter of time before someone gets hurt or injured and that will just cause more suffering.

Framing it as murderous intent earlier made it hard to not interpret your position as being one in favour of strictly punishing the perps instead of treating them in a compassionate manner.

I need to read up more on how Canada has come to accommodate FN peoples and our sovereignty within the criminal justice system because some of my concerns might actually already be addressed.

It might matter where the crimes occurred, fires that didn't occur on native land might be handled differently than the ones that did.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 3:48 pm

I didn’t intend for it to come across as murderous intent.If someone is ever charged ,then that would depend on the person and their mental state.
I do have to wonder about the services those churches may have been offering the community now.I’m not Christian ,but I use their food bank every month and it truly does help me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 7:59 pm

<—- small part native. Friends and family by marriage have been directly affected by residential schools, but not Me or my immediate family/close relatives.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 8:05 pm

I had DNA done and mine is really an insignificant amount ,like less than 10%.Not really enough for me to claim any heritage.
No family members were ever in residential schools because they all intermarried with settlers and assimilated.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 8:07 pm

I'm a band member, my grandma's maiden name is really common among Abenaki.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 8:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I need to read up more on how Canada has come to accommodate FN peoples and our sovereignty within the criminal justice system because some of my concerns might actually already be addressed..

I am assuming governments in Canada and Australia opted for the forced assimilation roadmap? Here in Australia as recently as the 1960s children were being removed from aboriginal homes and put into foster care with white families. The idea was to breed them out.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 8:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Any ties to the Narragansett?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 8:29 pm

Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

No, the languages have some relation but I don't believe I have any relations to any Narragansett people.

I think there were dancers and drummers from Rhode Island when I went to a powwow at Odenak years ago. There were a lot of people who had travelled quite a distance to participate.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 8:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

No, the languages have some relation but I don't believe I have any relations to any Narragansett people.

I think there were dancers and drummers from Rhode Island when I went to a powwow at Odenak years ago. There were a lot of people who had travelled quite a distance to participate.

Ok , I thought your tribe was from that area.My mistake.I’m not familiar with most of the names in Canada.Here it’s mostly tribal cards from the Cherokee and a few Choctaw.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 9:05 pm

Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Ok , I thought your tribe was from that area.My mistake.I’m not familiar with most of the names in Canada.Here it’s mostly tribal cards from the Cherokee and a few Choctaw.

Abenaki are from southern Quebec and Vermont.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 9:08 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Abenaki are from southern Quebec and Vermont.

Never been but I’ve seen photos.Beautiful country.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 11:53 pm

Act of God:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.6096476

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 11:55 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Or....God helping with the Act

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 12:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Or....God helping with the Act

I'd suggest unrelated to any others.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う