Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:14 am

It makes sense, it is just I heard that he was send to some psychiatric word of some sort. He may never be released to the public, because of how severe his crime was.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:18 am

I think in the case of Sky, as long as he received adequate psychiatric care and kept under observation he would eventually be deemed not to be a danger.

We also don't know what triggered him to kill his mother?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:20 am

I could think of the other mental disorders that could had caused to murder his mom

Lists:

* Psychosis
* Conduct Disorder
* Or Intellectual Disability that is so profound that a person is developmentally insane.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:23 am

FranzOren wrote:
I could think of the other mental disorders that could had caused to murder his mom

Lists:

* Psychosis
* Conduct Disorder
* Or Intellectual Disability that is so profound that a person is developmentally insane.

Good point Franz. We don't know his comorbidities. While its natural to be concerned and empathetic, it's just another reason to not to get too invested in his predicament as they likely have nothing to do with what you or other aspies have.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:29 am

I could say that in very rare cases a developmental disorder can be used as a criminal defense depending on the severity of developmental disorder, but statistically, a lot of people with developmental disorders that commit crimes have co-morbid diagnosis of ADHD, Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features, conduct disorders, some form of personality disorders and specific paraphilic disorders. A developmental disorder alone does not cause you to commit crimes, but in very rare cases it can. In fact, most people with mental health and developmental disorders are 20 times more likely to be victims and ten times less likely to commit crimes than most population.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:42 am

FranzOren wrote:
A developmental disorder alone does not cause you to commit crimes, but in very rare cases it can. In fact, most people with mental health and developmental disorders are 20 times more likely to be victims and ten times less likely to commit crimes than most population.

Good points

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:44 am

Thank you!

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 5:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
There is a link between aspergers and crime but correlation is not causation and I think its more important to take personal responsibility for your own actions and not worry about what other people with autism have done.

In Sky Walker's case his ID may not protect him from the criminal justice system as people with ID are 3-4 times overrepresented in the long term prison population. Criminal justice is about punitive measures made to take people classified as dangerous away from the community. But in the case of murder the general public (and the family of victims) usually demand imprisonment rather than psychiatric care as a form of deterrent but also to appease public anger where people often demand punishment.

There was a massive case here decades ago with Jon Venables and Robert Thompson. Both were 10 years old when they killed a very young child after tormenting and torturing him. They were just barely over the age of criminal culpability and were convicted for murder and sentenced to life imprisonment with a very short minimum term of 8 years I believe. They were released after just 8 years for the brutal and sadistic murder of a young child and the general public were outraged at the length of the sentence. Before their release they were given new identities and a fresh slate to start on.

I feel if they served longer sentences, the public wouldn't be baying for blood even to this day. If their identities are ever revealed, they would be in huge danger from vigilantism.

When sentencing people with ID who are equally immature as the boys in the case I just mentioned, I feel there is a balancing act with sentencing. To short or soft and the public will forever hound and vilify the criminal if their crime was particularly nasty when they are released. Longer and obviously the sentence might not fit the crime but the public will still think justice was done and let the criminal get on their merry way after the sentence.

I think reductions in the amount of time served for people with ID should always be made but not to the point of turning the public against them. If Jon Venables and Robert Thompson served a 20 year minimum instead of 8, they would have still been out by now but faded into obscurity and could have genuinely got on with their lives properly.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 6:01 am

Nades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
There is a link between aspergers and crime but correlation is not causation and I think its more important to take personal responsibility for your own actions and not worry about what other people with autism have done.

In Sky Walker's case his ID may not protect him from the criminal justice system as people with ID are 3-4 times overrepresented in the long term prison population. Criminal justice is about punitive measures made to take people classified as dangerous away from the community. But in the case of murder the general public (and the family of victims) usually demand imprisonment rather than psychiatric care as a form of deterrent but also to appease public anger where people often demand punishment.

There was a massive case here decades ago with Jon Venables and Robert Thompson. Both were 10 years old when they killed a very young child after tormenting and torturing him. They were just barely over the age of criminal culpability and were convicted for murder and sentenced to life imprisonment with a very short minimum term of 8 years I believe. They were released after just 8 years for the brutal and sadistic murder of a young child and the general public were outraged at the length of the sentence. Before their release they were given new identities and a fresh slate to start on.

I feel if they served longer sentences, the public wouldn't be baying for blood even to this day. If their identities are ever revealed, they would be in huge danger from vigilantism.

When sentencing people with ID who are equally immature as the boys in the case I just mentioned, I feel there is a balancing act with sentencing. To short or soft and the public will forever hound and vilify the criminal if their crime was particularly nasty when they are released. Longer and obviously the sentence might not fit the crime but the public will still think justice was done and let the criminal get on their merry way after the sentence.

I think reductions in the amount of time served for people with ID should always be made but not to the point of turning the public against them. If Jon Venables and Robert Thompson served a 20 year minimum instead of 8, they would have still been out by now but faded into obscurity and could have genuinely got on with their lives properly.

An excellent post and some valid points. There is, however, some nuance.

Venables and Thompson are deemed to be of normal intelligence and very young so in juvenile rehabilitation deemed capable of being educated/learning the consequences of what they did, This might have been a mitigating factor in their reduced sentencing.

In the case of somebody with ID its less likely the criminal justice system would rehabilitate them and there is a perception (rightly or wrongly) that they would be unable to cognitively override their urges when released. But this will vary on a case by case basis and on the severity of the crime.

As it turned out, Venables is a pedophile and likely a danger to children. After parole he's been thrown back in jail.

Thompson has (apparently) successfully assimilated back in society and got married.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 6:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Nades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

An excellent post and some valid points. There is, however, some nuance.

Venables and Thompson are deemed to be of normal intelligence and very young so in juvenile rehabilitation deemed capable of being educated/learning the consequences of what they did, This might have been a mitigating factor in their reduced sentencing.

In the case of somebody with ID its less likely the criminal justice system would rehabilitate them and there is a perception (rightly or wrongly) that they would be unable to cognitively override their urges when released. But this will vary on a case by case basis and on the severity of the crime.

As it turned out, Venables is a pedophile and likely a danger to children. After parole he's been thrown back in jail.

Thompson has (apparently) successfully assimilated back in society and got married.

Yeah. I guess the age difference and the fact they had normal intellect allowed them to objectively reflect on their crimes and the severity of them. A fully grown adult with ID will likely never be able too do that.

Venables even started a university course years ago but had to pull out due to lack of money so the difference between a 30 year old Venables and a 30 year old ID man is huge. Still, he was a pedophile and a smart one at that.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 11:29 am

It makes sense.