Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 4:45 pm

I did some research that a person named Sky Walker with profound Intellectual Disability and ASD was charged for the murder of his mother and was set to mental hospital for further treatments. Some people believe that since he is so profoundly intellectually disabled, he instead should have been in prison for manslaughter due to his mental state, because he did not mean to kill his mother, because of how severe his Intellectual Disability is.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sky+Wal ... CA4&uact=5

I have a question, besides just blaming his Intellectual Disability and ASD for the murder of his mother, did he have Conduct Disorder? Did he have psychosis? And in extreme cases, did he have untreated Antisocial Personality Disorder of some sort? Did he have all of these disorders co-morbid together?

I don't want innocent people with ID and ASD to be discriminated against, it is very rare for a person with Intellectual Disability to commit murder, in fact most people with ID and ASD are 20 times more likely to be victims and ten times less likely to commit crimes than most population combined. But there needs to be more study about Intellectual Disability and crime in order to prevent crimes by people with ID in very rare cases.

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2021, 12:17 pm

I just found this post and noticed there were no comments on it, and I felt bad for you too (I also just posted something but no one responded to it, not that they need to but it would be nice, provided they are nice about it.) Since I want people to comment on my posts, least I can do is do the same for others!

Enough digressing, let's get on topic!

I am so sorry to hear what happened. I haven't read the link yet, but such a shame what happened!

I don't want us autistic people being discriminated against either, that's just not fair! Not all of us are dangerous, just like not all blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, etc are dangerous! Just makes me sick we live in a world so cold and judgmental, not to mention discriminatory! Okay now I'm getting angry, better talk about something else!

I don't exactly know what happened but if he didn't mean to kill his mother he shouldn't be in prison but does need to be monitored, no way around that. If he did mean to murder, that's the horse of a different color! Not saying he meant to, I don't know for sure and it's wrong to falsely accuse people of anything!

I'm not totally sure he should go to prison for being intellectually disabled, that seems unfair. If it was willful then most definitely he should go to prison! But again, I don't know that. All I know is he will need help and needs to be monitored so he doesn't murder anymore people.

This also breaks my heart because I love my mother. Sometimes we argue but I would not know what to do without her! And when I have dreams about my mother dying, almost dying, seemingly like she's about to though she might not, or crying, I get sad when I wake and cry immediately after, minutes after or hours after. It's also making me sad because my mother is in the hospital right now and has been for two weeks now! :cry: And I don't know when or if she's coming back home, she's even said she would but things came up to make her stay.

So this is really sad and heart-breaking indeed!

I'm sorry if this wasn't the reply you were looking for but I did speak my feelings about this. Best wishes for Sky Walker!

Also hope you get more comments, and more helpful ones than mine!

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 12:22 pm

He killed his mother without intending to, because he could not control himself and he is profoundly intellectually disabled as well.

You are right, I think mental hospital is the right choice for people like him.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jul 2021, 1:11 pm

[quote="FranzOren"
I have a question, besides just blaming his Intellectual Disability and ASD for the murder of his mother, did he have Conduct Disorder? Did he have psychosis? And in extreme cases, did he have untreated Antisocial Personality Disorder of some sort? Did he have all of these disorders co-morbid together?

I don't want innocent people with ID and ASD to be discriminated against, it is very rare for a person with Intellectual Disability to commit murder, in fact most people with ID and ASD are 20 times more likely to be victims and ten times less likely to commit crimes than most population combined. But there needs to be more study about Intellectual Disability and crime in order to prevent crimes by people with ID in very rare cases.
[/quote]

I agree with this, people on the spectrum are much more likely to be victims. But just as in any other demographic, there are always exceptions to general rules and expectations. Those few who do murder are more likely to land up in an institution than prison.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 1:16 pm

It makes sense.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 3:17 pm

Looking at your favourite topics, I have to wonder if you are busy preparing an alibi.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 4:03 pm

What do you mean by that?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 7:58 pm

FranzOren wrote:

He means that you're so heavily focused on studying the link between autism and crime, that he feels you plan on using autism as an mitigating factor/excuse to commit some unknown crime in the future yourself.

Whether he meant it light heartedly, I don't know.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 8:01 pm

No, I just have strong interests in abnormal psychology and forensic psychology.

I study psychosis, conduct, personality disorders, ASD and crime, to see if there are links between HFA and crime or not.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 8:07 pm

I also felt very worried, because few studies linked High-functioning Autism to criminal behaviors, even though most studies and statistics point out that most people with ASD are ten times more likely to be victims and five times less likely to commit crimes than the general population.

People with especially Intellectual Disabilities are 20 times more likely to be victims and ten times less likely to commit crimes than the general population.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 8:08 pm

Nades wrote:
FranzOren wrote:

He means that you're so heavily focused on studying the link between autism and crime, that he feels you plan on using autism as an mitigating factor/excuse to commit some unknown crime in the future yourself.

Whether he meant it light heartedly, I don't know.

What does
Quote:
unknown crime
mean?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 8:36 pm

FranzOren wrote:
No, I just have strong interests in abnormal psychology and forensic psychology.

I study psychosis, conduct, personality disorders, ASD and crime, to see if there are links between HFA and crime or not.

I don't think autism has a particularly strong link to criminal activity. If anything, autistics are sticklers for the rules and obey them rigidly more often than not, even to the point of annoyance of others around them.

On the extreme end of the spectrum covering the most serious of crimes, they might have a loosely tied connection to autism due to an autistic having such a weak, fragile and often negative view society and peers around him/her that they develop no empathy for society as a whole and the harm they can cause.

Saying that as a now ex aspie criminal myself. Autism possibly contributed to me committing a crime. I was pressured into getting a job by my parents after failing Uni. I was hardly a social butterfly myself and Uni really went against my grain and with pressures quickly mounting up at home with a father who has always been hot headed demanding I make some money and get a job (which I never thought I could hold down anyway being an aspie) I done some pretty stupid stuff for money in a gross over reaction to pressure I feel an NT would have handled far better and holy God did I pay the price later.

My lawyers tried to play the aspie get out of free jail card and even that didn't work. I got dragged off in a bit of a shocked daze after a severe scorning by a judge. My family and friends went into a complete meltdown hours later. My appeal was refused and I wasn't even allowed to go into a low security prison.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 8:45 pm

It makes sense.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 9:18 pm

I think autistics vary enormously in intellect, vulnerability and overall mental wellbeing and they might well overlap in ways that end up causing crimes.

A highly strung low functioning autistics I imagine sometimes commit crimes by lashing out impulsively when stressed. Higher functioning autistics generally don't commit crimes at all. There are obviously exceptions, me being one but they are usually more mellow though seemingly incessantly depressed.

I'm certainly a lot more chilled out now than I was in he past and in a much better position overall. I probably started calming down a lot after the first month or so of the sentence once everything concluded. For the first time I have an actual diagnosis for the mystery disorder I suspected I had, my family started getting considerably less pushy with me (when I returned home at least) and obviously the long running saga came to an end. If only the diagnosis happened years earlier I feel things might have been different. My parents just seen me as a delinquent going against the flow and not an autistic.

The bizarrely refreshing time in prison also help me get back on track despite it boring me senseless and medication time being right in the middle of the evening movies.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 11:15 pm

It makes sense.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:10 am

There is a link between aspergers and crime but correlation is not causation and I think its more important to take personal responsibility for your own actions and not worry about what other people with autism have done.

In Sky Walker's case his ID may not protect him from the criminal justice system as people with ID are 3-4 times overrepresented in the long term prison population. Criminal justice is about punitive measures made to take people classified as dangerous away from the community. But in the case of murder the general public (and the family of victims) usually demand imprisonment rather than psychiatric care as a form of deterrent but also to appease public anger where people often demand punishment.