Third Choice Major: Is Pre-Psychology Worthwhile For Me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2021, 9:26 pm

I secured a General Studies Associate's, and successfully transferred to university, but only into my third-choice major. My first 2 choices were both forms of engineering, and my third choice was a BA in psychology.

I don't have any other options, I have to tell my dad that it seems changing my career plan is necessary, but I don't see my 2nd choice major in any other local universities if he tells me I need to apply to another university instead.

The reason I currently depend on my dad, actually one of the reasons, is that any full-time work is barred from me since I have to look after my disabled Mom when her aides aren't there. Another is that I currently haven't been able, up until even now, to get a part-time position anywhere ever since late 2017 when I was an 18-year-old. I do doordash occasionally, but that does take up gas.

I'm just feeling unsure about my job prospects if I do end up getting the Psychology BA. I'm also feeling unsure if any job I could get with that degree would be right for me. I wanted to be an engineer for years, and I usually will pass science courses, but it DOES take me plenty of discipline to pass an advanced-level class such as Calculus, which I only passed with a C. I'm extremely good at understanding the social sciences, but on the other hand, am not sure if even excelling at those courses will land me a job, since you need a Master's to be a therapist if I remember correctly.

I'm feeling overwhelmed with indecisiveness - it may look like a done deal since I was only accepted into my 3rd choice major, but there are other local universities I haven't yet applied to.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 9:51 pm

I work p/t as an education consultant in the university sector so I can give you some directions if you want to listen.

Looking at your choices you seem to be aiming at a career in engineering. I assume you either a) have an aptitude/interest in engineering and/or b) see it as having good job prospects and/or good career path/salary etc...

Psychology generally has poor job prospects for people intending to work in the field so your prospects are better with an engineering degree and possibly a minor in IT.

In that respect I would pick another engineering school for your third option but consider taking psychology as part of a minor or (if you are interested in psychology) a double major. However, engineering is generally considered to be a tough course at university here in Australia so very few students would double major,

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2021, 6:43 am

I wasn't thinking of the pre-psychology helping in finding engineering jobs, but just any jobs.

At the moment, I'll see if I can apply to other universities.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 7:47 am

I would stick to trying a college where u could get engineering degree.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 3:50 pm

Psychology bachelor's degrees are a way overpopulated field, with poor job prospects. Unless you love it, and plan on going for the master's, I wouldn't recommend it.

In lieu of engineering, where other students might have an advantage over you if you haven't done well in calculus, maybe you could find a niche field that would be profitable and satisfying. Maybe designing orthotics and prosthetics that could be created using 3-D printers?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 6:32 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
In lieu of engineering, where other students might have an advantage over you if you haven't done well in calculus,

Ah I missed that bit. Yep, a pass in calculus will mean struggling but that's why aptitude is often more important than competence. If a student is keen to do an engineering degree then diligent application and work you can improve your grades.

I think the OP needs to explore whether his strength in social sciences means he should re-think his first two choices?

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2021, 12:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
In lieu of engineering, where other students might have an advantage over you if you haven't done well in calculus,

Ah I missed that bit. Yep, a pass in calculus will mean struggling but that's why aptitude is often more important than competence. If a student is keen to do an engineering degree then diligent application and work you can improve your grades.

I think the OP needs to explore whether his strength in social sciences means he should re-think his first two choices?

What are my choices for work after studying the social sciences? It seems like being a therapist is out of the question, given that my dad is about ready to kick me out (this would be figurative, a metaphor representing him cutting off his funds to me, since I live with my Mom)... It would be prudent for me to get any bachelor's rather than a Master's at the moment, ya see? Unless I find a way to get a lot of money real quick...

I have written an unpublished manuscript. It's a science fiction novel, and while I have fully written it out - for now - I am in the editing process. I want to edit this more so that I can finally get it published (self-publishing route, I don't expect to impress any of the big publishers) since I started the writing of it 7+ years ago, but for now I am wondering when to tell my dad about my situation... Of only getting accepted into my third-choice major, that is. So I would say the further editing of what cannot be more than a fifth of the book (by the time next semester starts, that's probably all I'll be able to manage) would have to wait anywhen from a few days to two weeks while I mull over my options.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 1:04 am

2007kid wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

What are my choices for work after studying the social sciences? It seems like being a therapist is out of the question, given that my dad is about ready to kick me out (this would be figurative, a metaphor representing him cutting off his funds to me, since I live with my Mom)... It would be prudent for me to get any bachelor's rather than a Master's at the moment, ya see? Unless I find a way to get a lot of money real quick...

I have written an unpublished manuscript. It's a science fiction novel, and while I have fully written it out - for now - I am in the editing process. I want to edit this more so that I can finally get it published (self-publishing route, I don't expect to impress any of the big publishers) since I started the writing of it 7+ years ago, but for now I am wondering when to tell my dad about my situation... Of only getting accepted into my third-choice major, that is. So I would say the further editing of what cannot be more than a fifth of the book (by the time next semester starts, that's probably all I'll be able to manage) would have to wait anywhen from a few days to two weeks while I mull over my options.

`well i guess if u did not want to be a counselor, you could possibly be adjunct instructor at a institution of higher learning.I dont advise PhD to teach at the college level because I heard its real hard to get tenured.You could maybe be a teacher or a tutor.You could maybe get a degree in industrial psychochology where you could help design grocery stores using psychology.But honestrly i would just advise getting a bachelor's because of student loans.I would still try my best to pass calc because engineering has much better potential in my opinion.But i have heard u cant really do a lot with just a bachelors in the social scinences.

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2021, 4:15 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Psychology bachelor's degrees are a way overpopulated field, with poor job prospects. Unless you love it, and plan on going for the master's, I wouldn't recommend it.

In lieu of engineering, where other students might have an advantage over you if you haven't done well in calculus, maybe you could find a niche field that would be profitable and satisfying. Maybe designing orthotics and prosthetics that could be created using 3-D printers?

Any other possible niche fields you know about?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 6:30 pm

2007kid wrote:
What are my choices for work after studying the social sciences? .

In 2021 the choices are broad but jobs are limited for a social sciences graduate. Basically you can apply to many different sectors but you will be competing against a tidal wave of other applicants. What you are eligible for depends on your major. The most useful area would be teaching/journalism/law but you first need to consider whether you have an aptitude or are motivated to take on that type of career. A lot of public servants are social science graduates

2007kid wrote:
I have written an unpublished manuscript. It's a science fiction novel, and while I have fully written it out - for now - I am in the editing process. .

That's not going to get you very far. You need to have a strong track record in publishing if you want to compete with other people for jobs in writing/publishing. Again, in addition to a track record portfolio, your aptitude, competence and performance (e.g. grades) are also taken into consideration when working in publishing, journalism or freelance writing.

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2021, 6:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
That's not going to get you very far. You need to have a strong track record in publishing if you want to compete with other people for jobs in writing/publishing. Again, in addition to a track record portfolio, your aptitude, competence and performance (e.g. grades) are also taken into consideration when working in publishing, journalism or freelance writing.

I'm well aware that traditional publishers only pay a full mind to "established" writers. That's why I'm going the self-publishing route once it's fully edited.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 7:24 pm

2007kid wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I'm well aware that traditional publishers only pay a full mind to "established" writers. That's why I'm going the self-publishing route once it's fully edited.

Ok good luck :)

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 1:58 am

2007kid wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

One self-publishing stragy u could possibly pursue is to make a deal with a network marketing company to promote your book.Maybe get a youtube or instagrammer to promote it in exchange for money.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 8:52 am

How do you do in science, aside from calculus? If you could handle the science, you might be a good fit for a health care field, and that is a growth area in all specialties. This could be nursing or any of a number of allied careers such as respiratory therapist, lab tech, physical therapy, physician assistant, etc. They pay pretty well.

A good way to research your fit for these things is to shadow someone in the field. Your college might be able to help set this up.

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2021, 3:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
2007kid wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Ok good luck :)

I'm intending to go with an SPSC (self-publishing service company), and, in particular, Lulu. I'm wondering if I should hire an art lawyer first, that being said.

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2021, 3:14 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
How do you do in science, aside from calculus? If you could handle the science, you might be a good fit for a health care field, and that is a growth area in all specialties. This could be nursing or any of a number of allied careers such as respiratory therapist, lab tech, physical therapy, physician assistant, etc. They pay pretty well.

A good way to research your fit for these things is to shadow someone in the field. Your college might be able to help set this up.

Hard to answer. I did better than well in science courses prior to 10th grade (when math became more involved, or so it was arranged at my high school), so I might be good at science if math isn't heavily involved.