Question about my former speech delay

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 5:23 pm

What happened to my former speech delay? I used to have speech delay from my early childhood, but then I started to speak more clearly and I became too talkative.

I thought speech delay is a neurodevelopmental disorder that you have for the rest of your live.

It's like I could not speak very well until I was eight years old, but then started to talk a lot with no problem.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 10:28 am

I thought speech delay is a neurodevelopmental disorder that you have at the beginning of your life.

That is, you took longer than most other babies to gain speech skills. "Delayed", not "Absent".

Autism's later affects on speech skills would seem not to be a "delay" but something else.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 12:02 pm

It makes sense.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 2:54 pm

Can the same happen with ASD?

I used to have communication delays from my early childhood, but not as much anymore.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 3:05 pm

As I understand it, it is a delay as in not starting speaking when others do, but later than usual.
The same, I guess, could be the case in other forms, such as not crawling, not walking, not smiling at the same time as is "normal".
Later in life all of that can function.
But its not connected with autism the way you think. The symptoms have been overcome, but the reason for them is still there.

/Mats

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 3:20 pm

FranzOren wrote:
Can the same happen with ASD?

I used to have communication delays from my early childhood, but not as much anymore.
I might be misunderstanding you...

Are you saying that when you were very young your speech skills developed later than other children? That is, at an early age they had better speech skills than you? But that now, as an adult, your speech skills are more similar to other adults of the same age?

If you are saying that, then that sounds...to me...like a perfectly plausible speech delay scenario for an Autistic. Speech skills initially not as strong as other young children, but eventually catching up with them after early childhood.

But, I'm no expert. My opinion is based upon my understanding of what I have found on the Internet. Someone else might have a better understanding.

8-O The Internet is never wrong, inaccurate, confusing, misunderstood or misleading, is it?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 3:57 pm

It makes sense.

I wander about Autism Spectrum Disorder. I used to have communication delays from my early childhood, but my social skills got improved with therapy when I was nine years old. As I was thirteen years old, my social skills was a little better, and as I became an adult, I became much better at my social skills.

I can call it pervasive developmental delay?

Because, I developed social skills much later than usual, but I catched up in similar ways as NTs

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 4:30 pm

FranzOren wrote:
It makes sense.

I wander about Autism Spectrum Disorder. I used to have communication delays from my early childhood, but my social skills got improved with therapy when I was nine years old. As I was thirteen years old, my social skills was a little better, and as I became an adult, I became much better at my social skills.

I can call it pervasive developmental delay?

Because, I developed social skills much later than usual, but I catched up in similar ways as NTs
You just got w-a-a-a-a-y past what I know.

Maybe someone else will pipe in and explain it to us both.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 4:45 pm

I didn't speak until I was 5.5 years old.

Within a few months, I spoke like most 5 or 6 year olds.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 5:00 pm

When I was diagnosed with autism at age 68 ( 3 days short of that actually) the diagnosing psychologist explained that autism was "uneven neurological development". where neurotypical/average/normal people develop on an expected average time schedule, autistic people develop strongly in certain areas and very poorly or not at all in others, not at the same timing or rate as "neurotypical' folks. So it is possible to develop slowly, very rapidly, or be very strong in some areas and weak in others. Psychologist told me uneven neurological development is a marker that diagnosing professionals look for to help decide on an autism diagnosis. Slow to talk, slow to walk, super early to read, or never reading at all... all those and many more are signs of autism because they are developing in unexpected ways, and not smoothly in the predictable pattern that most infants, children, even adults go through. hope that makes sense. It explained a lot about my own neurological "uneven development" .

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 5:01 pm

I'm a 60 year old man who never developed the ability to be a very responsible father. Maybe that's why I never had kids.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 5:34 pm

Makes sense.