Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2021, 5:34 pm

Things have been pretty hectic where I was working, such as crazy schedule changes and lot of shift covers. I was getting a lot of fluxing hours week to week I could pay my few bills but still. I got a offer for a job that pays a little more and will be a bit less stressful for myself. Im going in to do the paper work to get hired on next week. I decided today was the day to tell my boss I was leaving. I thanked her for opportunity to work there and gave my weeks, I felt really bad. I cried even when I got to my car, i felt pretty bad when I quit my last job too which was a lot worse to work at. I know its probably whats best for myself as I was constantly tired and stressed. Anyone else ever felt like that quitting a job?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 8:19 pm

Quitting a job did not feel bad to me but I didn't like the job or the boss

What kind of job was your old job?

What kind of job is your new job?

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2021, 8:58 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Quitting a job did not feel bad to me but I didn't like the job or the boss

What kind of job was your old job?

What kind of job is your new job?

I went from working at a dollar store to going through donations at a thrift store

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 3:08 am

I quit a job where I had spent more than a third of my life working.

No regrets at all. It was a hard thing to do letting go but best thing I ever did.

moocow.bovine
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jul 2021, 4:18 pm

I turned in my resignation today for a job I worked for over 15 years. Yep, I felt bad about it (and still do). Worried, anxious, sad ... but mostly (in my case) just dumbfounded. Like you, I was "constantly tired & stressed" at my old job, and have some hope (although am not yet convinced) that my next position will be better for me. It still hurts.

PrincessofWeird
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2021, 7:05 pm

Yes, but I try to remind myself that if I died they would replace me in a second and that I am replaceable and unimportant, so I try not to put a job that doesn't value my life too high on the pedestal. I think society brainwashed us a little bit into giving more into a job than what it's worth, I don't know I just think about these things sometimes and it makes me question the entire system.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 9:19 am

I'm not the world's most sociable person, but what has felt bad to me about leaving a job was losing contact with people I knew well, and feeling a part of a team, instigator of parties, mutual griper about bosses, etc.

Still, I never felt so bad that I cried about it! It was more of a wistful thing. Usually when I have left there was some sort of going away party, and most workplaces would sign a group card or something.

Not only are we leaving behind relationships, but for us who are autistic, we are losing a structure and know we will have to get used to a new one. How do they handle time sheets, where is the restroom, do people bring their own lunch or go out, which supervisor to avoid, etc - this will all need to be learned all over again. Change is typically hard for autistic people.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2021, 3:20 pm

I don't think I've ever felt bad about quitting a job. With some of them, it was "Well, that was not the worst experience I've ever had." With others, it was "f**k everything and everyone here and I hope you all fall down a well." But there's never been a job I wanted to do more than I wanted to _not_ have to do a job. And I've never felt bad about leaving anything or anyone behind - if I wanted to stay in touch I would have given them contact details.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 3:48 pm

No. I've pretty much hated every job I've had. And I've had a lot of jobs.

I light a match and throw it behind me. (Figuratively of course).

The only time I felt a little bad was when I resigned and my boss looked genuinely upset that I was leaving. It was a small family business. The thing is there were times when I didn't get paid on time and I had direct debits bounce because o had no money in my account. He should have known I was outta there the second time it happened. I don't work out of the goodness of my heart.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2021, 10:16 am

I have felt bad every single time. I think it has to do with me wanting to be a good person, whatever that means, and disappointing my boss or letting down co-workers was upsetting for me. I have grown past this recently with counseling and making myself a priority over others.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 11:45 am

I've never quit a job. I did contract work that I chose not to renew, but I think that's different from quitting.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2021, 6:32 am

browneyedgirlslowingdown wrote:
I have felt bad every single time. I think it has to do with me wanting to be a good person, whatever that means, and disappointing my boss or letting down co-workers was upsetting for me. I have grown past this recently with counseling and making myself a priority over others.

It's been said that if you want to know how long it will take for an employer to replace you in a workplace, pull your hand out of a bucket of water and see how long it takes for the resulting hole to close up.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 6:24 am

angelofdarkness wrote:
Things have been pretty hectic where I was working, such as crazy schedule changes and lot of shift covers. I was getting a lot of fluxing hours week to week I could pay my few bills but still. I got a offer for a job that pays a little more and will be a bit less stressful for myself. Im going in to do the paper work to get hired on next week. I decided today was the day to tell my boss I was leaving. I thanked her for opportunity to work there and gave my weeks, I felt really bad. I cried even when I got to my car, i felt pretty bad when I quit my last job too which was a lot worse to work at. I know its probably whats best for myself as I was constantly tired and stressed. Anyone else ever felt like that quitting a job?

Congratulations on your new opportunity and it’s better if it pays more and less hectic. If it was something you enjoyed or had an attachment to it, then I guess it’s somewhat normal.

I felt this way when I first quit (for once not getting fired) but it was more out of fear of uncertainty and pretty nerve wrecking not knowing what to expect.

The other times, just didn’t care. At the end of the day, your well-being is far more important than pleasing your bosses expectations, even though we should always be at our very best and be productive.

LenJ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2021, 11:55 am

Im planning on giving notice in my current job as despite it being well paid, permanent, and in the sector I've always wanted to work in it requires me to be a lot more flexible than I'm comfortable with and this makes me completely exhausted and sometimes I shut down entirely. In a year and a half I've had four different managers, put up with numerous unnecessary system changes and my schedule involves frequent travel, lots of overnight stays in random places and last minute changes of plan. If you struggle with change like I do you'll know how much of a nightmare this is. I feel bad as my colleagues handle all this much better than I do; they get mildly annoyed, thats it, whereas I'm completely losing my sh't. I strongly suspect my problems are exacerbated by my ASD traits but as I don't have a formal diagnosis (I've never been assessed) I doubt I'd be taken seriously by my employer so I think it's best I leave and find something less stressful :(