Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 1:07 am

Does anyone else here like the TV show The Good Doctor?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 12:32 am

It's a good drama but unrealistic in parts,

Some opposition to a non-autistic person playing the role of Dr Shaun Murphy

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 1:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
It's a good drama but unrealistic in parts,

Some opposition to a non-autistic person playing the role of Dr Shaun Murphy

I love the show. I agree it is unrealistic in some aspects.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 1:13 am

I don’t think there are a lot of autistic actors..

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 1:20 am

Brainiac42 wrote:

True, this was a similar issue with casting of Diane Kruger in the "Bridge", Ben Affleck in the "Accountant" and Maddie Ziegler in "Music"

The directors were bereft of suitable autistic options

Sheldon Cooper's character wasn't mean't to be autistic but he's been adopted as an archetypal aspie in his role.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 10:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brainiac42 wrote:

True, this was a similar issue with casting of Diane Kruger in the "Bridge", Ben Affleck in the "Accountant" and Maddie Ziegler in "Music"

Sheldon Cooper's character wasn't mean't to be autistic but he's been adopted as an archetypal aspie in his role.

I don’t think the actor has to be autistic as long as someone with autism or preferably multiple people, are on set to assist. I’ve watched Atypical multiple times because I relate to Sam in a lot of ways. The actor isn’t autistic. I also relate to Shawn Murphy in the Good Doctor in a couple ways.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 11:39 am

I've never seen The Good Doctor or Big Bang.

I like Atypical, mostly because of the sister's storyline though.

Do you remember the autistic doctor who was on Grey's Anatomy for a while? The character was named Dr. Virginia Dixon. I thought she was really well written.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 1:44 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've never seen The Good Doctor or Big Bang.

I like Atypical, mostly because of the sister's storyline though.

Do you remember the autistic doctor who was on Grey's Anatomy for a while? The character was named Dr. Virginia Dixon. I thought she was really well written.

I love Casey’s storyline in Atypical!! ! So cute.

Shawn isn’t entirely relatable because he also has savant syndrome, so a lot of people may think it’s not relatable because of that.

Another wonderful movie based on a true store, Temple Grandin. It’s on Amazon Prime

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 8:43 pm

Brainiac42 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brainiac42 wrote:

I don’t think the actor has to be autistic as long as someone with autism or preferably multiple people, are on set to assist. I’ve watched Atypical multiple times because I relate to Sam in a lot of ways. The actor isn’t autistic. I also relate to Shawn Murphy in the Good Doctor in a couple ways.

Fair enough

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 8:23 am

I watched the whole first 3 seasons. Season 2 was annoying as they started to get Shawn having crisis after crisis because Dr. Han tried to get him to another department than surgery. The seaosn 3 finale was annoying as the most popular character died of what seemed like an unlikely cause of death. As for the season 4 debut, that St Bonaventure hospital turned into a Covid Center and I tuned out.

But honestly, I loved the first 3 seasons and it's pretty safe for all ages (where Atypical is borderlnine NSFW, which grossed me out).

Starlight2001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2021, 8:07 pm

Fixxer wrote:
I watched the whole first 3 seasons. Season 2 was annoying as they started to get Shawn having crisis after crisis because Dr. Han tried to get him to another department than surgery. The seaosn 3 finale was annoying as the most popular character died of what seemed like an unlikely cause of death. As for the season 4 debut, that St Bonaventure hospital turned into a Covid Center and I tuned out.

But honestly, I loved the first 3 seasons and it's pretty safe for all ages (where Atypical is borderlnine NSFW, which grossed me out).

The Covid thing was just the first two episodes. At the beginning of episode 3 Freddie Highmore comes on and says they're moving past that and imagining a post-Covid future

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 1:34 pm

Starlight2001 wrote:
Fixxer wrote:

The Covid thing was just the first two episodes. At the beginning of episode 3 Freddie Highmore comes on and says they're moving past that and imagining a post-Covid future

I will be giving the series another shot. Starting episode 3. Thanks!