Another bullied to death: Near/Byuu (Trigger Warning)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 11:57 pm

TRIGGER WARNING

I didn't know where it would be okay to post this, so I thought I would play it safe, I saw some similar threads here. Thread can be moved if necessary.

For those who don't know, there are several "anonymous" groups of trolls/cyberbullies online who delight in preying upon people who are autistic, non-gender conformant, LGBTQ, furry, or just generally "weird".

David/Near/Byuu was all of these things, and has been a target for years, as well as some of their friends. These trolls attack online, and then sleuth out personal information, so they can share it and attack people and/or their friends/family in person. I'm not going to link to any of the details, but suffice to say, David's life ended the other night. There are many websites reporting on this if anyone wants to look it up.

I can't even read that stuff anymore, every time I do, I just get upset again. I used to talk to Byuu online, so it's hit me a little harder than this kind of thing usually does (which is still pretty hard).

I don't know if they were a member of this community or not, but Byuu was a prolific programmer (most famous for the BSNES/Higan emulator), hardware engineer, and videogame preservationist.

Requiescat in pace.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 9:47 pm

I just read this:

https://gamerant.com/snes-emulator-near ... arassment/

Any thoughts on the connection between the harassment and their level of achievement / how much was given back in terms of all of those emulators?

The Nietzschean concept of 'ressentiment' has been coming up lately (was listening to Gordon White and Rhyd Wildermuth discuss its impact on culture at present), and yes - the internet's become a playground for that.

This is one of those areas where I feel like, the way I got targeted as much as I did, part of being able to survive this sort of thing is actually taking onboard the dreaded fact that they aren't after you because they're confused about you, they're after you because they can see you and your very breathing makes them look bad.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:15 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Any thoughts on the connection between the harassment and their level of achievement / how much was given back in terms of all of those emulators?

I don't know, I don't know much about psychology.
I know Byuu said they were having a lot of difficulty coping with "fame".

I'm sure ressentiment could have a little to do with it, but it seems to me like most of these trolls are just typical bullies: they enjoy attacking anyone who they see as inferior/weird/what-have-you, as long as they take the bait. "Milking the cows for luls" I think is the phrase they use.
They're enjoying the publicity this is getting, because they can leave comments in public: "bait" for Byuu's friends and supporters.

A lot of them are probably having difficulties coming to grips with their own identity/sexuality issues, and attack others as a way of coping. The original poster of the "13 page thread" himself was outed as a furry.