Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 3:09 pm

My son is 7, has ADHD, and is physically pretty large. We struggle with what activities to put him in because he is easily overwhelmed by the open sports envionments and has trouble remembering what to do. He did okay in Taekwando, but the expectation of standing still and not talking was too much for him so he had to stop. Same with soccer.

As a last resort we tried Krav Maga. This is Isreali Military self defense. Looks like MMA. Somehow the local place here has a kids program in it. My goodness! What a program!

I encourage everyone to take a look in your area to see if you have one of these. This training works for kids of pretty much all ages, but also all sizes and ability levels. There were autist kids in there, shy kids, awkward kids, kids with physical differences, fat ones, skinny ones, inattentive joking kids (mine), and any other type you can imagine. All fighting each other, safely, and clearly having a great time, gaining amazing confidence. I was so impressed. My son is doing really well already. I'm so happy to see him doing all these new things!

Good news for once!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 12:26 am

Glad it is going well!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 6:39 pm

I have two black belts and a red belt at my house. The red belt is the youngest. He is 11.
I think there are many many good things about martial arts if the place is good.