Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 6:26 pm

I failed BIG time. I failed myself & my cat. I can’t help it, that how I feel. Maybe I’m more mentally disabled than I thought, I have a learning disability too, I lost words that I once know, I don’t have a very good vocabulary anymore. When I was child, I had trouble reading, my reading level is low, I read books to teach myself, I had a map of the states & time tables too. Now that I’m older, I feel so dumb at times. I have to look up words if I didn’t forget them, I can forget words & numbers very fast. Why is it I was very smart when I was a teenager - my early 40s & I’m not that smart anymore? My Aspergers gotten worse when I was in my 40s, the older I get, the more I lose. I used to be in a dance program, I performed onstage, I was also on TV. I’m almost 51, I feel like a VERY DIFFERENT person, I don’t like it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 6:41 pm

Worry and stress can cause things like this so relaxing and knowing that all will be ok is a good plan.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 1:48 am

I hear ya, Kitty. I am not happy with how my life went, either, and I definitely feel less smart intellectually than I was at age 20. Just try to find things that make you happy, even fleetingly.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 12:10 pm

I've almost dropped out of university due to similar cognitive impairment, having hard time with concentration and memory, forgetting what I've just read in the beginning of the sentence by the end of it. It did feel like I'm a different person.

I believe there are things you can do to get your mental power back. I've already gave you some suggestions of why you could feel this way and what you could try to address this problem, but that post was removed by moderator.

This is not your destiny, there is always something you can do to change for the better!

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 2:08 pm

I don't have much by way of supportive words, but I wanted to let you know that your aren't alone in this. I feel you on this one. I suck as an adult. My short term memory is shot and my long term memory isn't much better. I used to be a smart kid. It's not doing me any good now. I forgot so much and can't seem to retain new things...they just don't want to stick. My autism symptoms have gotten worse over time as well; sensory issues, executive functioning... I had a burnout some years back and never have fully recovered, and I don't think I ever will. The me I was is gone. I think I might be as good as I ever will be now, and while I have days that it does bother me, for the most part, I accept it and try my best to get along.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:00 pm

I've noticed that there have been periods in my life where my brain has suddenly expanded. Maybe not my brain. Maybe my consciousness, or my awareness. I think this is universal.

You know how teenagers can be arrogant, because they feel like they know everything, and have seen everything and it's all passe to them. And you're thinking, "Just you wait."

It's like being in a room, with all the blinds down and you think you know it all because that room is all you know and it's small. And then the blinds get opened and you see the rest of the world and you get a sense of your own smallness and you start to understand how little you actually know and you feel stupid in the face of all that unknown knowledge.

I'm 42. I've experienced these 'expansions' a few times. I expect to have a few more.

Maybe you had an expansion? Maybe you're comparing yourself now to someone who appeared to know more simply because there was less for them to know?

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 11:43 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Why is it I was very smart when I was a teenager - my early 40s & I’m not that smart anymore?

Since you are asking this question, I guess I'm allowed to give you the answer and it wouldn't violate of The Haven rules. I believe this is result of lack of physical activity.

This is not some "Unproven personal theory of depression", here are some links if you are interested. Here is Report by Dr. Rhonda Patrick, and here is a nice video summing up Brain Power & Movement Link.

Don't take my suggestion as inconsiderate, please, IIRC, you have some issues with your ankle, I think it can not stop you from improving, there are still a lot of exercises you can do.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 5:06 am

I agree with others, stress and depression can affect your capabilities. Lack of emotional support in your life also.

Please don't be hard on yourself. Just surviving in this hellhole of a world is success for any person. I am also very dumb and probably not as good as a person as you are, but i still try to feel good about myself. You also deserve to feel good about yourself.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 5:22 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I failed BIG time. I failed myself & my cat. I can’t help it, that how I feel. Maybe I’m more mentally disabled than I thought, I have a learning disability too, I lost words that I once know, I don’t have a very good vocabulary anymore. When I was child, I had trouble reading, my reading level is low, I read books to teach myself, I had a map of the states & time tables too. Now that I’m older, I feel so dumb at times. I have to look up words if I didn’t forget them, I can forget words & numbers very fast. Why is it I was very smart when I was a teenager - my early 40s & I’m not that smart anymore? My Aspergers gotten worse when I was in my 40s, the older I get, the more I lose. I used to be in a dance program, I performed onstage, I was also on TV. I’m almost 51, I feel like a VERY DIFFERENT person, I don’t like it.

Hey you write really well. As with all things practice makes perfect. It sounds like you are just going through a rough patch in your life and there are things overloading your cognitive space. Keep reading and learning. Learning never stops. I have a university degree but I never stop learning.

As we get older we all have to work a bit harder to keep mentally nimble, Its natural. When what you did when you were 20 required 5 steps, now in your 40s you might have to do 10 steps. Don't be ashamed, it happens to all of us :D

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 5:55 am

I've failed the 'How to be an adult' test umpteen times. I've never had a paid job. My non-virtual friends list is non existent. I lead a very basic lifestyle. Even then I get quite a lot of help and support.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 11:39 pm

Thanks guys, I feel better that I’m not alone, there other people like me on this GREAT website, too bad we never going meet. I had a meltdown, I was changing my cat litter box & I lost it, I been having trouble changing her litter box, I been getting anxiety, getting pain & now that, summer is here, it can make everything more worse. I HATE summer, I have Psoriasis & turning on lights, makes it a little hot, it can hurt my stomach too, I don’t put on too much light, my hallway light seems very strong for me, I wish I don’t have to turn it on, but I do when I have to go to the bathroom, at least I’m saving money on electricity. Anyway back to my meltdown, I was changing my cat litter box, giving her new cat liners for the box, I was hysterical crying & having a very bad anxiety, I was in my wheelchair. I said to myself, my cat deserves better than me, I’m a bad mamma.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:21 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Thanks guys, I feel better that I’m not alone, there other people like me on this GREAT website, too bad we never going meet. I had a meltdown, I was changing my cat litter box & I lost it, I been having trouble changing her litter box, I been getting anxiety, getting pain & now that, summer is here, it can make everything more worse. I HATE summer, I have Psoriasis & turning on lights, makes it a little hot, it can hurt my stomach too, I don’t put on too much light, my hallway light seems very strong for me, I wish I don’t have to turn it on, but I do when I have to go to the bathroom, at least I’m saving money on electricity. Anyway back to my meltdown, I was changing my cat litter box, giving her new cat liners for the box, I was hysterical crying & having a very bad anxiety, I was in my wheelchair. I said to myself, my cat deserves better than me, I’m a bad mamma.

Hang in there sis. Do you have a support group or family you can talk to?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 5:10 am

You are a caring and responsible mom and your cat is lucky to have you.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 5:12 am

Folks, you're not alone. I NEVER claimed to be intellectually brilliant at any point in my life, but regarding any intelligence I had, I think I'm stupider now than I was when I was younger (and I'm still shy of 40).

In life, I've failed miserably compared to the average adult.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 5:17 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Folks, you're not alone. I NEVER claimed to be intellectually brilliant at any point in my life, but regarding any intelligence I had, I think I'm stupider now than I was when I was younger (and I'm still shy of 40).

In life, I've failed miserably compared to the average adult.

Same. Also the fact is, none of those average adults had our difficulties. Chances are someone in my position would have commited suicide long ago. I consider my life a success purely because i didn't commit suicide.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 8:08 am

Here, we are transitioning from two independent adults to one growing senile and the other taking more and more responsibilty. He used to do the litter box chore but is forgetting it or doing it wrong, so I have to take that over too. One thing that makes a difference is using a long-handled scooper. I can reach the box more easily from my mobility scooter with that.

If your cat is still affectionate with you, then you are probably a very good cat momma.