The fitness industry is bullshitting you: stay away!!

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:12 am

Jeff Nippard, Stephanie Buttermore, Matt Does Fitness, and all of these idiots and charlatans that promote unhealthy eating because "calories in calories out, hurrr hurrr hurrr, there's no such thing as bad food, all calories are the same, etc" are so full of BS it's not even funny. Watch this video by someone who actually knows what he's talking about exposing the rampant BS in the fitness industry:

Stay away from Jeff Nippard and Stephanie Buttermore.

Master Oogway

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:55 am

Just stay away from CICO approach, caloric restriction in general. This is the main reason so many people fail to comply, develop metabolic adaptation and gain even more weight when they quit.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 4:29 am

Well, I once lost 77 pounds through calorie restriction and counting calories.

Then I stopped counting calories, and I gained 40 pounds.

Then I started counting calories again 4 months ago, and since then I have lost 25 pounds. At this rate, I will have gotten rid of the 40 pounds again by Mid-september.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 4:34 am

GGPViper wrote:

Then I started counting calories again 4 months ago, and since then I have lost 25 pounds. At this rate, I will have gotten rid of the 40 pounds again by Mid-september.

What worked in your case has nothing to do with counting calories. If you succeed to stick with it means you are using some strategy to ensure compliance, changed what you are eating to feel less hungry, stopped eating out of habit or boredom. You can achieve the same effect applying the same strategy without counting calories.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 6:40 am

badRobot wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

What worked in your case has nothing to do with counting calories. If you succeed to stick with it means you are using some strategy to ensure compliance, changed what you are eating to feel less hungry, stopped eating out of habit or boredom. You can achieve the same effect applying the same strategy without counting calories.

What worked for me was counting calories.

And as you have no knowledge about what strategy works best for me, you have no basis for assuming otherwise.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 6:49 am

GGPViper wrote:

And as you have no knowledge about what strategy works best for me, you have no basis for assuming otherwise.

No, counting calories has no effect on weight loss. De facto caloric deficit does. Caloric restriction and counting calories only provide you a goal. What one does to achieve this goal is what works.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 7:28 am

badRobot wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

No, counting calories has no effect on weight loss. De facto caloric deficit does. Caloric restriction and counting calories only provide you a goal. What one does to achieve this goal is what works.

I'm confused here. Are you saying that counting calories alone doesn't work? That's true. If all I do in a day is count calories and eat 10,000 calories a day, of course I won't lose any weight.

Calorie counting is a tool to help people gauge how much they are taking in. In you want to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. There's no way around that. How you get it is adjustable. You can exercise to create a deficit, or you can avoid all that and be lazy and just eat say, 500 calories less in a day.

I guess my confusion comes in form of how does one know if they are getting a calorie deficit if they have no idea how many calories they consume in a day? I'm not saying daily calorie counting is needed, but if you really have no idea how much you are eating in a day, what is a better way to know that than taking count of calories to get that baseline idea?

Fact is, most people have no idea how many calories they do eat in a day. Hell, most people don't know that a meal from McDonalds will likely give them their entire calories needed for the day, or maybe more. People generally have little to no concept of what an actual serving size is...the list goes on. CICO might be a weird, and somewhat flawed way to go about losing weight, but it's the best tool available to a lot of people.

Fair note...I didn't watch the video. My attention span isn't going to let me sit through half an hour this morning. Sorry, I suck like that :lol:

And for what it's worth, I totally agree that 'there's no bad food' and 'all calories are the same' is complete nonsense. Dietary adjustment is, to me, another tool in the box right alongside CICO.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 7:47 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
badRobot wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

I'm confused here. Are you saying that counting calories alone doesn't work? That's true. If all I do in a day is count calories and eat 10,000 calories a day, of course I won't lose any weight.

Calorie counting is a tool to help people gauge how much they are taking in. In you want to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. There's no way around that. How you get it is adjustable. You can exercise to create a deficit, or you can avoid all that and be lazy and just eat say, 500 calories less in a day.

I guess my confusion comes in form of how does one know if they are getting a calorie deficit if they have no idea how many calories they consume in a day? I'm not saying daily calorie counting is needed, but if you really have no idea how much you are eating in a day, what is a better way to know that than taking count of calories to get that baseline idea?

Fact is, most people have no idea how many calories they do eat in a day. Hell, most people don't know that a meal from McDonalds will likely give them their entire calories needed for the day, or maybe more. People generally have little to no concept of what an actual serving size is...the list goes on. CICO might be a weird, and somewhat flawed way to go about losing weight, but it's the best tool available to a lot of people.

Fair note...I didn't watch the video. My attention span isn't going to let me sit through half an hour this morning. Sorry, I suck like that :lol:

And for what it's worth, I totally agree that 'there's no bad food' and 'all calories are the same' is complete nonsense. Dietary adjustment is, to me, another tool in the box right alongside CICO.

Your body does calorie counting for you. You have hunger regulation. Your body "wants" to achieve biological homeostasis and normalize your weight, excess fat is a burden your body wants to get rid of.

If you feel actually hungry (don't confuse with cravings and habits) it means your body can't utilize body fat to cover your energy needs and you must eat to cover your de facto TDEE and avoid metabolic adaptation and subsequent negative effects on your health.

Whether you are counting calories or not, you should eat food that doesn't suppress body fat utilization and doesn't make you hungry again. You should eat only when you are actually hungry and just enough to cover your hunger.

If you do all that, you don't really need to count calories. If you don't do that and restrict your food intake by sheer willpower despite felling hungry, you will trigger metabolic adaptation and in long term develop health issues.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 9:13 am

Losing weight involves this simple regimen:

• Eat less.
• Exercise more.

The only difficulties involve resisting temptation and discouragement, and ignoring advice from people who cannot maintain an effective regimen of dieting and regular exercise while falsely claiming their failures are due to an undiagnosed glandular disorder.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 9:33 am

"Eat less, exercise more" is the worst possible advise.

First of all, exercise is virtually useless for weight loss.

Second, if you are exercising more and eating less, but it's wrong kind of food, you will end up triggering metabolic adaptation, muscle tissue loss and build up protein debt. You will lose weight, but you will lose lean body mass and health at the same time.

It will just give you health issues, you can easily develop insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, so called "lean diabetes".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 9:40 am

badRobot wrote:
"Eat less, exercise more" is the worst possible advise.  First of all, exercise is virtually useless for weight loss.  Second, if you are exercising more and eating less, but it's wrong kind of food, you will end up triggering metabolic adaptation, muscle tissue loss and build up protein debt. You will lose weight, but you will lose lean body mass and health at the same time.  It will just give you health issues, you can easily develop insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, so called "lean diabetes".
Dude, do you ever post anything that is true?

It is a matter of simple science: Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 9:59 am

Fnord wrote:
It is a matter of simple science: Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight.[/color]

It is a matter of simple science you don't understand.

Your body doesn't contain abstract calories, it contains body fat, muscle tissue, glycogen stores. You are not eating abstract calories, you are eating fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Proportions of what your body can utilize for energy are very important for both weight loss and health. Your advise is antiscientific and straight up harmful.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 10:07 am

badRobot wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It is a matter of simple science: Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight.
It is a matter of simple science you don't understand.  Your body doesn't contain abstract calories, it contains body fat, muscle tissue, glycogen stores.  You are not eating abstract calories, you are eating fats, proteins and carbohydrates.  Proportions of what your body can utilize for energy are very important for both weight loss and health.  Your advise is antiscientific and straight up harmful.
Have you really never heard of "Ketosis"?

:roll:

"Ketosis" is the process that happens when your body doesn't have enough carbohydrates to burn for energy (e.g., "calories").  Instead, it burns fat and makes things called ketones, which it can use for fuel.  "Ketosis" is a word you should have seen when you were supposedly looking for information on weight loss.

Your criticism of REAL science is what endangers those who seek to lose weight.

Eating less and exercising more leads to ketosis and the "burning" of useless and unhealthy fat.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 10:31 am

You have no idea about ketosis, just stop embarrassing yourself.

Nutritional ketosis rate is exactly why what you are eating is more important than just eating less.

What you are talking about is stress-induced ketosis, something only elite level metabolically flexible and fat adapted endurance athletes can achieve relatively easily due to their training. The rest of us would need to exercise to total collapse and keep pushing to achieve significant level while simply eating less of food with regular macronutrient composition.

I repeat, your advise is antiscientific and straight up harmful.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 11:03 am

badRobot wrote:
You have no idea about ketosis, just stop embarrassing yourself.  Nutritional ketosis rate is exactly why what you are eating is more important than just eating less.  What you are talking about is stress-induced ketosis, something only elite level metabolically flexible and fat adapted endurance athletes can achieve relatively easily due to their training. The rest of us would need to exercise to total collapse and keep pushing to achieve significant level while simply eating less of food with regular macronutrient composition.  I repeat, your advise is antiscientific and straight up harmful.
It is not I who is ignorant of the subject, it is you.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 11:20 am

Fnord wrote:
It is not I who is ignorant of the subject, it is you.

My diet is predominantly ketogenic for the last 5+ years, I'm reading publications on metabolism and nutrition weekly to keep up with recent research and adjust my diet. As a long distance cyclist I'm interested in performance, fat adaptation and application of ketosis in endurance sports.

It is pretty freaking obvious you have no the slightest idea what you are talking about, just stop embarrassing yourself already.