Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2021, 9:00 am

I have dyspraxia, ADHD & aspergers traits.

Age 8, I attended an assessment, there was evidence of dyspraxia & ADHD.

Age 9, I attended an assessment, there was evidence of dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits possibly.

The evidence of aspergers traits is a slightly pedantic voice. This maybe a symptom of aspergers traits ?

What do you think ?

I did not have any friends age 9. My mother pushed me hard academically. I had my parents and my younger sister, age 2.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 1:46 pm

I never heard of a pedantic voice. Pedantic speech, yes, but AFAIK there's no particular tone of voice that's recognised as pedantic. But that's probably pedantic of me. Same difference, as annoyingly glib people with no eye for accuracy might say.

I can see why they only suspected ASD rather than saying they were sure. Just having "pedantic" speech could mean anything. It could just mean you're intelligent, have good English skills, and like to communicate fully and clearly. But yes, Aspies do often come over like "little professors," it's said. And having no friends - again it could mean anything but it's the kind of thing that's associated with ASD.

If you want to look more deeply at whether or not you have ASD, there are some online tests that would give you a better idea. There's the RDOS Aspie-Quiz and Baron Cohen's AQ test. A formal diagnosis might be better, if you can get one.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:33 pm

I have an NT cousin who spoke in a pedantic way. He still does now. He's definitely NT but is quite bright.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:42 pm

Aspies are called "little professors", and "overly formal speech" is considered a trait of aspergers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:47 pm

What does pedantic mean? High pitched voice or low pitched voice?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:53 pm

I have pedantic speech. Pedantic speech is often considered a symptom of autism.

Mountain Goat wrote:
What does pedantic mean? High pitched voice or low pitched voice?

From a Google search: "Pedantic speech refers to an overly formal speaking style that is inappropriate to the conversational setting. It can be characterized by didactic patterns of prosody and very precise articulation, as well as unnecessarily complex vocabulary."

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 2:58 pm

Thanks. I have to ask someone if I speak like that as I honestly do not know.

Some words of what you just put I am not sure what they mean... I know unneccessarily complex. :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:06 pm

I wasn't a "little professor" as a child. I was a whiny but hyperactive nuisance.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:14 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Thanks. I have to ask someone if I speak like that as I honestly do not know.

Some words of what you just put I am not sure what they mean... I know unneccessarily complex. :D

It's basically a very formal, unnecessarily complex way of explaining how very formal + unnecessarily complex pedantic speech can be. It's kind of funny, to be honest. lol

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:19 pm

My mom and other relatives used to say that my brother and I talked like "little scientists/professors", and would comment on our extensive vocabularies. I don't know if I have "Asperger's" type autism, but my brother does.

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2021, 4:37 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I never heard of a pedantic voice. Pedantic speech, yes, but AFAIK there's no particular tone of voice that's recognised as pedantic. But that's probably pedantic of me. Same difference, as annoyingly glib people with no eye for accuracy might say.

I can see why they only suspected ASD rather than saying they were sure. Just having "pedantic" speech could mean anything. It could just mean you're intelligent, have good English skills, and like to communicate fully and clearly. But yes, Aspies do often come over like "little professors," it's said. And having no friends - again it could mean anything but it's the kind of thing that's associated with ASD.

If you want to look more deeply at whether or not you have ASD, there are some online tests that would give you a better idea. There's the RDOS Aspie-Quiz and Baron Cohen's AQ test. A formal diagnosis might be better, if you can get one.

I had a diagnosis of dyspraxia in May 2012, aged 33.

I had a diagnosis of ADHD in August 2020, aged 41, I had a nervous breakdown. I am taking medication, Concetra, 54mg.

I have moderate dyspraxia, mild - moderate ADHD. Most people with ADHD have ASD/ aspergers traits. Some people with dyspraxia have aspergers/ASD Traits.

Psychiatrists, neuro diverse experts and doctors , a family friend who has known me since age 7 (10 people in total know have aspergers traits /ASD traits / aspergers tendencies). I am borderline autistic.

A cold - hearted NHS psychiatrist said I had aspergers traits . There is no major impairments in my records regarding ASD. My family would say nothing . They can’t accompany to any formal assessments.

My Autistic spectrum quotient score is around 24.

I have done the ADOS test severally times, comes close to the borderline.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2021, 6:18 am

I've noticed my voice changes to a "tight" or "stiff" inflection when I'm explaining something. Particularly around my special interest. The sound changes. Sorry I can't explain it better.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 11:59 am

ALADDIN_1978 wrote:
My Autistic spectrum quotient score is around 24.

I have done the ADOS test severally times, comes close to the borderline.

Well, if you're on the borderline then a formal diagnosis would probably be no more informative than tossing a coin. I was assuming you wanted to know if you had ASD or not.......if so, I think you probably know all you'll ever know about that.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 12:25 pm

ThisTimelessMoment wrote:
I've noticed my voice changes to a "tight" or "stiff" inflection when I'm explaining something. Particularly around my special interest. The sound changes. Sorry I can't explain it better.

I think I become more monotone when explaining something. I don't have the mental processing power to properly explain something + modulate my tone. lol