96 percent of Democrats think pandemic is not over

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 7:41 pm

Gallup

Quote:
Although a record-high 89% of Americans now say the coronavirus situation is improving, most are not yet ready to declare the pandemic over in the U.S. More than twice as many think the pandemic is not yet over (71%) than think it is over (29%). Republicans are far more likely than Democrats to say the pandemic is over, but significant differences also exist by gender, age and region of the country.

.S., or not?
Yes, pandemic is over No, is not over
%
U.S. adults 29 71
Female 22 78
Party identification
Republican 57 43
Independent 35 66
Democrat 4 96
Age group
18-34 years old 24 76
35-54 years old 32 68
55 and older 30 70
U.S. region
Northeast 23 77
Midwest 31 69
South 31 69
West 28 72
GALLUP PANEL, JUN. 14-20, 2021

96 percent of any group to agreeing on anything is astounding. Ever more so when you consider we have a Democratic president.

In recent years somewhat of a deal has been made of studies that show Republicans and conservatives are more fearful of things. What does this say about Democrats fear, if it says anything?

Assuming the democrats internal polling has been showing the same thing is that why Democratic politicians until recently have been more reluctant to lift restrictions? Or is it the Democratic politicians more negative take on COVID causing fear among their supporters? Even if the latter is the case 96 percent?

Something(s) weird is going on here.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 8:35 pm

Well, the pandemic is not over. So what is wrong with the 4 percent...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 8:45 pm

That would be because the pandemic is not over...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 9:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Assuming the democrats internal polling has been showing the same thing is that why Democratic politicians until recently have been more reluctant to lift restrictions? Or is it the Democratic politicians more negative take on COVID causing fear among their supporters? Even if the latter is the case 96 percent?

Something(s) weird is going on here.

Andrew Yang had a Yang Speaks episode last year, can't remember who he was talking to, but I remember him making the comment that the typical beliefs and point-by-point of people in each party were so scattered and uncorrelated that it seemed as though people were choosing party more on who they socially liked or disliked (which in a grim way I suppose that makes sense - we use things like this to find resources more than find truth).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 10:05 pm

Is it over?
Does anyone reasonable believe it is over? :chin:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 12:11 am

My guess is that 96 percent of people of both parties agree that "water is wet".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 12:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
My guess is that 96 percent of people of both parties agree that "water is wet".

That's just what the lying liberal media elite want you to believe. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 1:27 am

We may be looking at a nasty third wave in a lot of countries this fall due to the combination of (1) the spread of the Delta variant and (2) vaccine hesitancy in a lot of countries (including the US).

In Denmark, our government just bought 1,7 million excess Pfizer-BionTech doses (enough for almost 15 percent of the Danish population) from Romania - unused because of widespread Romanian vaccine hesitancy - and we are now rushing to get even children vaccinated to stave off the Delta variant.

So, yeah... What *is* wrong with the 4 percent?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 1:28 am

I was going to say 96% of democrats believe the sky is blue but it isn't.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 1:40 am

Apparently according to that poll 57 percent of Republicans think that the pandemic IS over. Only 43 percent say that it is not.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 2:14 am

And it looks like the US vaccination effort is losing steam:

Source: https://ourworldindata.org/

At this rate, much of Europe will be ahead of the US soon, as we enter the fall months with greater risk of infection.

And as a result, the prospect of the US achieving herd immunity anytime soon is probably not that good.

So the reports of the pandemic's demise have been grossly exaggerated.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 3:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Apparently according to that poll 57 percent of Republicans think that the pandemic IS over. Only 43 percent say that it is not.

I wonder what percentage of Republicans would insist down is up if they believed it somehow pwned the libs.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 4:48 am

Tha plandemic is not over because the elite still has money to make.
Meanwhile, here we are...

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2021, 6:02 am

I recently read an article that said there are more world wide covid deaths in the first 6 months of 2021 than all of 2020. I don't remember which article now.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 6:58 am

My college statistics course was the most interesting class I took that year. One important point was that you get the study you pay for. For instance if you want to prove that group A is lactose intolerant and group B hates the color green you can totally do this depending on how you craft your study. I am always suspicious of polls, studies, or statistics in general.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 7:08 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
In recent years somewhat of a deal has been made of studies that show Republicans and conservatives are more fearful of things. What does this say about Democrats fear, if it says anything?

The fear is on the part of Republicans. They fear that Covid-19 is a plot to deprive them of their "freedoms" and that vaccines are a way for "them" to conduct mind control experiments. The Democratic 96% are simply acknowledging facts.