My answers to Snowflake test: What do you think?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 12:14 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
My question: as interesting as this thread is, I don't know why there is a copy in Parenting.

B/C I wanted to see how parents felt about it.

I'd tell my son he wasn't a good fit for the company requiring it and suggest he stop pursuing a job at that place.

It would really depend on the questions, of course. Good questions, and I'd cross my fingers they liked his answers. Political questions, and I'd tell him the company sounds toxic.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 6:59 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
My question: as interesting as this thread is, I don't know why there is a copy in Parenting.

I'd tell my son he wasn't a good fit for the company requiring it and suggest he stop pursuing a job at that place.

It would really depend on the questions, of course. Good questions, and I'd cross my fingers they liked his answers. Political questions, and I'd tell him the company sounds toxic.

Honestly, I think that the workplace in general especially in the USA is to toxic for autistic people. And, if I have a child who is on the Autism spectrum like I am I'm not going to do like most parents and force them as square pegs to fit into round holes.

Especially living in a society that says we must do all of these social based things and have the correct personality and at the same time be yourself.

And, being in a workplace where people BS and lie.

If you read a number of things that Aspie1 has said about parent-child relationships and the workplace I think he is right about many things even though I don't agree with him on everything.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 1:53 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Honestly, I think that the workplace in general especially in the USA is to toxic for autistic people. And, if I have a child who is on the Autism spectrum like I am I'm not going to do like most parents and force them as square pegs to fit into round holes.

Especially living in a society that says we must do all of these social based things and have the correct personality and at the same time be yourself.

If you read a number of things that Aspie1 has said about parent-child relationships and the workplace I think he is right about many things even though I don't agree with him on everything.

Workplaces vary a LOT, especially in small business, where I've pretty much spent my career (although I did spend about a decade at national firms, but still no more than a 1000 employees, total). I believe in finding the right fit, and have usually had the luxury of only taking jobs where I felt that was the case. I don't feel I get lied to or BS'd, and I am very well respected. I'm good at what I do, which does give me a certain amount of power.

My ASD son has enjoyed his experience with jobs so far, overall, but he also hasn't settled into a career job, yet; he's basically continued on with a student-type job for the past year, even though he's graduated. He likes what he does, even though he knows they are taking advantage of him. He just needs a little time to sort through his next steps, and find the patience to get past that "no experience - yet" wall. Fortunately no one so far has asked him to take a test like that one. His issue is getting through the noise of hundreds of resumes for the rare jobs open to recent graduates in his field.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 3:00 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Workplaces vary a LOT, especially in small business, where I've pretty much spent my career (although I did spend about a decade at national firms, but still no more than a 1000 employees, total). I believe in finding the right fit, and have usually had the luxury of only taking jobs where I felt that was the case. I don't feel I get lied to or BS'd, and I am very well respected. I'm good at what I do, which does give me a certain amount of power.

My ASD son has enjoyed his experience with jobs so far, overall, but he also hasn't settled into a career job, yet; he's basically continued on with a student-type job for the past year, even though he's graduated. He likes what he does, even though he knows they are taking advantage of him. He just needs a little time to sort through his next steps, and find the patience to get past that "no experience - yet" wall. Fortunately no one so far has asked him to take a test like that one. His issue is getting through the noise of hundreds of resumes for the rare jobs open to recent graduates in his field.

The workplaces do have variability between them and they also have similarities as well creating an over-arching DNA to them. Can autistics mesh with this over-arching DNA? Some are able to do so but can the majority? And, can the minority who do succeed be their true and authentic selves.

Forget autistics for a moment. Black people when they enter the workplace feels like they have to do what is called code switching. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/11/ ... cism-work/

I've spoken to black people. A number of black people who are professionals in the workplace I've spoken to will tell you not to be yourself yet white professionals will tell you to be yourself. Why such discrepancies?

I've had mostly black mental health counselors and white mental health counselor tell me two different things about my SSDI that I had in the past. The white ones say I should get a job and get off disability. The black ones tell me to do everything I can to keep my disability. Again, why such discrepancies?

Truth of the matter is those who would tell you to be yourself and be natural never had their true selves and their true nature to cause them issues. So, they don't understand this aspect of reality.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 8:36 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Fnord wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
This appears to be a way of discriminating against people with left-wing beliefs the employer disagrees with, rather than anything to do with "productivity." The writers would (correctly) squeal foul if someone put out a "test" designed to do the same to right-wingers.
So?  An active company cannot stop production every time some snowflake traumatizes over a paper cut.  The point of such a test is to weed out potential employees who believe sensitivity is more important than productivity.  There are more subtle ways of doing this, of course, but I have seen none more effective.  People are employed in the corporate sector to work, not to express their feelings or take part in a day-long therapy session for overly-sensitive adults.  Of course, there seems to be little else by way of employment for those who have earned HASS degrees.
Not all the questions have to do with sensitivity. Most are purely political. And inappropriate.
Maybe, and maybe not.  When simply refusing to take the test could mean that an application gets dropped into the 90-day circular file, the applicant might be better off to simply take the test, give the right (-wing) answers, and hope that they get the job.

I put up with 6 years of right-wing military indoctrination, and used that experience to my advantage in getting a better job and a better education.  Sometimes, a person has to dig through a pile of crap to find the pearl.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 11:04 am

Fnord wrote:

I put up with 6 years of right-wing military indoctrination, and used that experience to my advantage in getting a better job and a better education. Sometimes, a person has to dig through a pile of crap to find the pearl.[/color]

So, pay lip service to the prevailing political correctness (meaning the opposite from what that usually does) in order not to be "cancelled" from the workforce.... heh!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 11:06 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I put up with 6 years of right-wing military indoctrination, and used that experience to my advantage in getting a better job and a better education. Sometimes, a person has to dig through a pile of crap to find the pearl.
So, pay lip service to the prevailing political correctness (meaning the opposite from what that usually does) in order not to be "cancelled" from the workforce.... heh!
Meh.  I am employed.  What more needs to be said that would not be insulting in some way?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 11:18 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I put up with 6 years of right-wing military indoctrination, and used that experience to my advantage in getting a better job and a better education. Sometimes, a person has to dig through a pile of crap to find the pearl.[/color]

Ass kissing is important with work. Everyone has to kiss it sooner or later. It's how life has always been like.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 11:20 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
This appears to be a way of discriminating against people with left-wing beliefs the employer disagrees with, rather than anything to do with "productivity." The writers would (correctly) squeal foul if someone put out a "test" designed to do the same to right-wingers.

A lot of left wing people are also anti-capitalist. Why would a company owner want an employee who has no respect for them or their company?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 11:25 am

Nades wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I put up with 6 years of right-wing military indoctrination, and used that experience to my advantage in getting a better job and a better education. Sometimes, a person has to dig through a pile of crap to find the pearl.
Ass kissing is important with work. Everyone has to kiss it sooner or later. It's how life has always been like.
There is a huge gulf between kissing ass and liking it.  I mind my manners and show "respect", all the while getting projects completed quickly, cheaply, and correctly -- in spite of what some ignorant mama's boy higher up on the food chain may demand.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 11:40 am

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Fnord wrote:
There is a huge gulf between kissing ass and liking it.  I mind my manners and show "respect", all the while getting projects completed quickly, cheaply, and correctly -- in spite of what some ignorant mama's boy higher up on the food chain may demand.

I pretty much always kiss it. To be fair the people I work for are pretty relaxed people if you do the hours. They even let me verbally abuse them which is many an Aspies dream. Asking this one particular haggard looking colleague when he's planning on dying so I can steal all his tools is just something I do on a regular basis along with saying I want to abduct the managers dogs. I also tell the draftsman he's an ugly grotesque freak and his life will never amount to anything.

I would probably be the worst employee any lefty woke company could ever hire. I would end up with a harassment accusation within my first hour of working for them........which I will be very proud of.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 4:45 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I pretty much always kiss it. To be fair the people I work for are pretty relaxed people if you do the hours. They even let me verbally abuse them which is many an Aspies dream. Asking this one particular haggard looking colleague when he's planning on dying so I can steal all his tools is just something I do on a regular basis along with saying I want to abduct the managers dogs. I also tell the draftsman he's an ugly grotesque freak and his life will never amount to anything.

I would probably be the worst employee any lefty woke company could ever hire. I would end up with a harassment accusation within my first hour of working for them........which I will be very proud of.

Why are you proud of trying to make other people miserable? Of working hard to hurt them? No one, regardless of politics, should want to take down other people just because they don’t like them. It just makes you a mean person. Not smart, not funny, not better, not less “woke.” Just, mean.

I do not believe it is my ASD son’s dream to verbally abuse people, although he would like the freedom to be more honest with his negative opinions without having people be hurt by them. My son hates the idea of hurting people. He’ll beat himself up over it if he discovers he has. But holding his tongue to avoid hurting people is hard, so in his ideal world they would see things like he does and appreciate the honesty. I think there is a world of difference between that view, and your glee in being mean.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jul 2021, 4:51 pm

Nades wrote:

Exceuse me, are you just bragging about being an as*hole? 8O

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 5:32 pm

magz wrote:
Nades wrote:

Exceuse me, are you just bragging about being an as*hole? 8O

Nope it's just what working in blue collar jobs entirely around men is like and they give it back as hard as you throw it. It's not like an office or shop at all. Yesterday everyone was imitating the noises of whales. It's weird.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 5:33 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Why are you proud of trying to make other people miserable? Of working hard to hurt them? No one, regardless of politics, should want to take down other people just because they don’t like them. It just makes you a mean person. Not smart, not funny, not better, not less “woke.” Just, mean.

I do not believe it is my ASD son’s dream to verbally abuse people, although he would like the freedom to be more honest with his negative opinions without having people be hurt by them. My son hates the idea of hurting people. He’ll beat himself up over it if he discovers he has. But holding his tongue to avoid hurting people is hard, so in his ideal world they would see things like he does and appreciate the honesty. I think there is a world of difference between that view, and your glee in being mean.

Everyone does it to each other. It's just what working in my type of field is like.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 5:35 pm

Nades wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:

A lot of left wing people are also anti-capitalist. Why would a company owner want an employee who has no respect for them or their company?

Being “anti-capitalist” as a world view (which is popular among the younger generation) does not mean they cannot understand and appreciate the value of give and take, of raising the ship that is the company so that all can benefit. Nor does it mean they can’t understand that different people bring different levels of value to a project and respect a manager or owner who is good at their job. It’s the whole social construct built around it all they disdain, that allows a smaller elite to take advantage just because they can, and that favors a use of language they find insincere. It also isn’t a desire to raise private business to the ground and make everything equal; it’s more of a statement about the flaws in the system, than an actual complete discard of it. Or, at least, that is what I, as a business person and business advisor, have gotten from my conversations on it.

Granted, there are young people who don’t understand the value of hard work and earning your place in a company, but that is more of a generational thing that I haven’t seen coincide with any particular political belief. Just a weird flaw in how they grew up, I guess, that thankfully neither of my children caught.