The Great Barrier Reef growth rates have increased

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 7:58 pm

Quote:
The Great Barrier Reef in critical condition ‘couldn’t be further from the truth’

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... 5b22f6ce04

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 11:04 pm

Yeah well, Peter Ridd has an axe to grind.
Last I heard he was still arguing his sacking from James Cook Uni was unlawful.
This was the sacking that happened after he publicly expressed that several of his fellow scientists didn't know what they were talking about. He appealed against it but it was later upheld by the Federal Court as lawful, because he made several breaches of the University's Code of Conduct.

From the ABC:

Quote:
Peter Ridd, a physicist who has been critical of science linking climate change and polluted water to coral bleaching on the Reef, was disciplined repeatedly by the university over comments he made about the research of colleagues and associated entities.

His comments included telling Sky News that bodies like the Australian Institute of Marine Science "can no longer be trusted" and saying that many scientists examining the health of the Great Barrier Reef were "emotionally attached" and "not objective".

He was also accused of "failing to act in the collegial and academic spirit", and of denigrating the university and one of his colleagues.

Court documents show Dr Ridd described one colleague in an email as "not having any clue about the weather", predicting he would spout "the normal doom science about the Great Barrier Reef".

The string of disciplinary actions by the university culminated in Dr Ridd's sacking.

And don't try telling me that SKY News is more reliable than our national broadcaster.
Not buying it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 11:08 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
And don't try telling me that SKY News is more reliable than our national broadcaster.
Not buying it.

I wonder why some posters just post articles from the same few discredible sources over and over again with no commentary beyond the odd sarcastic emoticon and how that hasn't come to be understood as mere trolling without actually contributing anything. :scratch:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 1:08 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Yeah well, Peter Ridd has an axe to grind.
Last I heard he was still arguing his sacking from James Cook Uni was unlawful.
This was the sacking that happened after he publicly expressed that several of his fellow scientists didn't know what they were talking about. He appealed against it but it was later upheld by the Federal Court as lawful, because he made several breaches of the University's Code of Conduct.

From the ABC:
Quote:
Peter Ridd, a physicist who has been critical of science linking climate change and polluted water to coral bleaching on the Reef, was disciplined repeatedly by the university over comments he made about the research of colleagues and associated entities.

His comments included telling Sky News that bodies like the Australian Institute of Marine Science "can no longer be trusted" and saying that many scientists examining the health of the Great Barrier Reef were "emotionally attached" and "not objective".

He was also accused of "failing to act in the collegial and academic spirit", and of denigrating the university and one of his colleagues.

Court documents show Dr Ridd described one colleague in an email as "not having any clue about the weather", predicting he would spout "the normal doom science about the Great Barrier Reef".

The string of disciplinary actions by the university culminated in Dr Ridd's sacking.

Not buying it.

SKY News is more reliable than our national broadcaster. :mrgreen:

BTW, The book "Dark Emu" got myth-busted by left-wing academics after years of Andrew Bolt, and others, pointing out the absurdity espoused/created by the not so indigenous, Bruce Pascal, and embraced by the ABC. 8O

Quote:
Bruce Pascoe’s Dark Emu series for ABC TV likely to still go ahead
Karl Quinn
By Karl Quinn
July 1, 2021 — 7.30pm

A Dark Emu documentary planned for the ABC is likely to go ahead, despite the criticism levelled at Bruce Pascoe’s acclaimed-and-now-disputed account of First Nations culture at the time of white settlement in a recently published book.

Sources close to the production say they are confident a show can be delivered “that deals with what’s previously not been dealt with” and an ABC spokesperson says there is no plan to abandon the project.
Bruce Pascoe, the author of <i>Dark Emu</i>, which has been enormously successful in reshaping perceptions of Indigenous life pre-colonisation.

Bruce Pascoe, the author of Dark Emu, which has been enormously successful in reshaping perceptions of Indigenous life pre-colonisation. Credit:Justin McManus

However, it is understood that the shape of that show will be determined by Mr Pascoe’s response to Farmers or Hunter-Gatherers: The Dark Emu Debate, the book by anthropologist Peter Sutton and archaeologist Keryn Walshe that accuses Pascoe of being “broadly wrong” in his claim that some Indigenous Australians were practicing forms of agriculture at and prior to the arrival of Europeans.

:mrgreen: