Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 7:02 pm

Another discussion about how corrupt, amoral, and racist the drug war is not only in its origin but perpetuation (ie. how many 'cool' and 'hip' politicians we have putting people in jail for what they got away with, really demonstrating the race and class components):

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 3:12 am

I don't have patience for an hour long YouTube clip...

... But I can highly recommend the book "Drugs without the hot air" by David Nutt.
https://www.amazon.com/Drugs-without-ho ... 0857844946

I particularly liked his observation (which got him fired as the chief advisor on drugs for the UK government) that horseback riding is more dangerous than taking ecstasy/MDMA.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 3:51 pm

I didn't watch the video either. Too long. I've long been against the right-wing "war on drugs." If I remember right, Nutt talked a lot of sense. Cameron ignored his own medical advisory group because he said it was his job to take political issues into account as well as medical issues. I suppose he meant he was worried Daily Mail readers wouldn't vote for him if he decriminalised soft drugs.

I can hardly believe the rubbish I hear from politicians about their own drug use. "I used cannabis once when I was 18 but I'm ever so ashamed of myself and I'll never ever do it again." I don't care if they smoke it all the time as long as they don't keep it illegal for everybody else.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 3:57 pm

I don't mind people saying TL:DW, it's only tough to relate if you can watch sitcoms or tv series for hours on end and your ISP doesn't put you over a barrel for bandwidth (such as outside the US).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 4:13 pm

What does "TL:DW" mean?

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2021, 4:21 pm

Too long: didn't watch

vs the usual

tldr
Too long: didn't read

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 5:34 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
Too long: didn't watch

vs the usual

tldr
Too long: didn't read

Thank you.

I rarely watch sitcoms or TV series, and never for hours on end.