What if due to anti vaxxer’s herd immunity is a pipe dream?

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 10:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It is time to face the reality that due to the anti vaxx movement full herd immunity is not going to happen in America.

Herd immunity is coming whether we like it or not.
You don't get a say in that and the Anti vaxxers don't get a say in that.

The only difference is in how we reach that immunity.

A vaccine is only one way that people can obtain partial immunity.(Or perhaps full immunity if they weren't so rushed to market)

The other way to obtain immunity is by catching the disease itself.
It is literally how we got immunity to any disease ever before the 1800's.
Before vaccines the only way to get immunity to a disease was "the hard way".

Their is a third very small group of people who are "innately" immune, because they have a slightly different Ace-2 receptor and the virus can't see it. Lucky them ey? :P

But for most people your choice boils down to HOW you get immune, not IF you get immune.

Whether you get your immunity from rushed to market vaccines of dubious quality, or from catching the disease itself.
From my point of view, both options kind of suck.

And to be blunt, since the vaccines don't block infection or even prevent transmission, but simply reduce the diseases severity when you do get infected.
Then probably most people are going to get infected, at some point or other.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 3:50 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
You have less than half a percent of dying from Covid no matter what cool new strain they invent. The odds of dying in rush hour traffic are better.

I actually looked up numbers yesterday.
Of the people infected, between 1 and 3% die of it. That's roughly ten times as deadly as the regular flu, but only 10% as deadly as the spanish flu.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 6:00 am

shlaifu wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
You have less than half a percent of dying from Covid no matter what cool new strain they invent. The odds of dying in rush hour traffic are better.

Of the people infected, between 1 and 3% die of it. That's roughly ten times as deadly as the regular flu, but only 10% as deadly as the spanish flu.

No, you have to be a little careful with the differences between Case fatality and
Infection fatality, they are not the same measurement and a lot of people get tripped up by it.

You cited the figures for case fatality but your description is what's know as IFR or Infection Fatality Rate.
So you are comparing apples to oranges.

The case fatality rate is about 2%, that is 2% of people who feel sick enough to seek medical
attention go on to die.

Infection fatality rate would be significantly lower.

Here are those estimates, stated as the percentage of all those infected (symptomatic and asymptomatic) who are surviving:
0-19 Years 99.997% Survival rate.
20-49 Years 99.98% Survival rate.
50-69 Years 99.5% Survival rate.

Source for that is the United States Centers for Disease Control.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... arios.html

Presented in much easier to understand terms here
https://www.nbc26.com/news/coronavirus/ ... atic-cases

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 7:35 am

SpiceWolf wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

No, you have to be a little careful with the differences between Case fatality and
Infection fatality, they are not the same measurement and a lot of people get tripped up by it.

You cited the figures for case fatality but your description is what's know as IFR or Infection Fatality Rate.

The case fatality rate is about 2%, that is 2% of people who feel sick enough to seek medical
attention go on to die.

Here are those estimates, stated as the percentage of all those infected (symptomatic and asymptomatic) who are surviving:

you're right.
I'm however now not sure if I'm comparing apples to oranges, because I honestly can't tell whether I was also looking at the case fatality for flu and Spanish flu, or IFR.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 11:28 am

shlaifu wrote:
SpiceWolf wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

attention go on to die.

you're right.
I'm however now not sure if I'm comparing apples to oranges, because I honestly can't tell whether I was also looking at the case fatality for flu and Spanish flu, or IFR.

It is also comparing apples and oranges in that both treatment and the cleanliness of where people are being treated has vastly improved over the past century.

SpiceWolf wrote:
Herd immunity is coming whether we like it or not.
You don't get a say in that and the Anti vaxxers don't get a say in that.

The only difference is in how we reach that immunity.

A vaccine is only one way that people can obtain partial immunity.(Or perhaps full immunity if they weren't so rushed to market)

The other way to obtain immunity is by catching the disease itself.
It is literally how we got immunity to any disease ever before the 1800's.
Before vaccines the only way to get immunity to a disease was "the hard way".

Their is a third very small group of people who are "innately" immune, because they have a slightly different Ace-2 receptor and the virus can't see it. Lucky them ey? :P

But for most people your choice boils down to HOW you get immune, not IF you get immune.

Whether you get your immunity from rushed to market vaccines of dubious quality, or from catching the disease itself.
From my point of view, both options kind of suck.

And to be blunt, since the vaccines don't block infection or even prevent transmission, but simply reduce the diseases severity when you do get infected.
Then probably most people are going to get infected, at some point or other.

Herd immunity will probably happen for the original variant strain. The original strains morph into new strains that cause "regular flu years" and occasional pandemics.

As with the herd immunity via vaccines method, the pure natural herd immunity method can happen fairly quickly but we are in the worst of both worlds. We are obtaining partial herd immunity forcing this process to drag out much longer than with the pure vaccination or pure natural methods. Restrictions are also dragging this process out. The original idea of lockdowns and restrictions was to drag out the process until enough people were fully vaccinated to create full herd immunity (and save people and the health systems). Now that this is apparently not going to happen it complicates things.

A possible wildcard is if indeed this was created in a lab. We should not assume a man-made virus will behave in the same way as a natural one.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 6:55 am

New Zealand not willing to risk UK-style ‘live with Covid’ policy, says Jacinda Ardern

Quote:
New Zealand has dismissed suggestions it should follow in Britain’s footsteps to “live with” Covid-19, saying the level of death proposed by Boris Johnson would be “unacceptable”.

If cases in Britain explode as a result of the lifted regulations, New Zealand may also consider putting the country on a no-fly list.

That’s not something that we have been willing to accept in New Zealand,” the country’s Covid-19 response minister, Chris Hipkins, said at a press conference alongside the prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, on Tuesday.

“One of the things the UK government have been very clear about [is] that there will be a spike in cases, potentially thousands of cases a day. There will be more people dying,” he said.

“We are likely to see more incremental change than dramatic change where we wake up one morning and say: ‘We just go back to the way to the way things were before Covid-19.’”

The priority for me is how do we continue to preserve what New Zealand has managed to gain and give ourselves options, because this virus is not done with the world yet.”

Epidemiologist and public health professor Michael Baker said New Zealand’s future roadmap could be built on a mixture of high vaccination and other measures such as mask mandates, or limited lockdowns to contain outbreaks. He said the country was in a “privileged position” where it could make an informed choice about whether to continue with an elimination approach or change tack.

“By every metric [New Zealand’s elimination approach] is outperforming the alternatives – from a public health point of view, an equity point of view, a freedoms point of view … an economic point of view”

Australia’s Covid current response is still very closely aligned with New Zealand’s in practice, but prime minister Scott Morrison’s rhetoric has recently shifted somewhat toward Johnson’s. Last week Morrison outlined a four-phase Australian reopening roadmap, saying that by phase three Covid would be treated like the flu or “any other infectious disease”.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 8:06 am

^
It figures. When it comes to valuing business above human life, the UK Tories take some beating.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 8:09 am

If Covid is just going to keep mutating and getting deadlier all the time, then why haven't other strains of Coronavirus already done so and wiped out humanity?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 8:37 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
If Covid is just going to keep mutating and getting deadlier all the time, then why haven't other strains of Coronavirus already done so and wiped out humanity?

My educated guess is that it's the luck of the draw. Why should the Spanish flu have killed all those people when flu had never been such a big issue before? If I survived running across the road with my eyes shut yesterday, why should I be afraid to repeat the exercise today? Covid-19 just happens to be deadly to rather a lot of people and highly contagious. The exponential nature of the growth of contagious pathogens becomes surprisingly important when you have such a high R number as Covid-19 has. Why has practically every government in the world seriously compromised its economy to tackle Covid, if it's not a real threat? We all know how wedded to economic growth and profit most government are. They're happy to let some of us die, but they have their limits.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 8:51 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Give it time, dude ... give it time ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:17 am

Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

So this is the virus that is finally going to take out humanity? The human immune system is defenseless against it?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:23 am

Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Nobody expects the Spanish InquisitionFlu!

Anyway, it is unfortunately quite feasible that a significantly more deadly variant of COVID will arise if anti-vaxxer stupidity enables it to circulate continuously.

After all, the SARS virus (another coronavirus ) was 79.6 % similar to COVID and had a case fatality rate of 11 %.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 2:57 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Nobody expects the Spanish InquisitionFlu!

Anyway, it is unfortunately quite feasible that a significantly more deadly variant of COVID will arise if anti-vaxxer stupidity enables it to circulate continuously.

After all, the SARS virus (another coronavirus ) was 79.6 % similar to COVID and had a case fatality rate of 11 %.

How are the unvaccinated a danger to the vaccinated?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 3:01 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Nobody expects the Spanish  Inquisition  Flu!  Anyway, it is unfortunately quite feasible that a significantly more deadly variant of COVID will arise if anti-vaxxer stupidity enables it to circulate continuously.  After all, the SARS virus (another coronavirus ) was 79.6 % similar to COVID and had a case fatality rate of 11 %.
How are the unvaccinated a danger to the vaccinated?
Those who are unvaccinated are a fertile breeding ground for new variants of the coronavirus.

You, for example, could even now be harboring one of the latest coronavirus variants.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 4:11 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
It is worse than that: if COVID can run through the population, it can continue to mutate and become even more deadly or contagious. It is now endemic in our population, but having a large percentage of our population open to infection is just going to make a literal breeding ground.

And just imagine that small pox and polio were eradicated.

More contagious is likely. More deadly not as much. A dead host, or a severely sick host is less effective at spreading the disease than one with more minimal symptoms. Most diseases over time evolve to be less dangerous to their host.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 4:16 pm

i've heard way more than one anti-vaxxer/maga speak approvingly of letting the weak get killed by this bug.