Has this ever happened to you?(Online Work Test)

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 1:40 am

One time when i was in high school or college I applied to a part-time job at a big box store online.I took a test online and had to answer some questions.Its been so long i forgot what they were about.But the gist of it is that i answered questions honestly because I think lying is wrong.
I asked the HR person why I didnt get the job.....They told they didnt want to hire me because i answered too honestly.I guess i value not lying more than making money but thats just me.I believe it was probably muliple choice.Has something similar ever happened to you or someone you know?

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 1:49 am

These kind of tests are not too common over here, so not like that.
But I tend to be overly? honest, like telling my boss about mistakes that would never ever be discovered.
I think honesty usually pays off in the long run, but depending on the situation/persons involved it could backfire.

/Mats

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 8:56 am

Numerous jobs that I applied for have personality as a requirement on the job description

In some jobs, personality is what the boss values the most ("we hire character and train talent")

In some jobs, personality is the only thing they care about when hiring someone (Joannes fabric store)

Many personality inventories, like Minnesota multiphasic personality inventory

The first thing they want to know:. Extrovert or introvert

Plenty of companies claim to value diversity, but not many value neurodiversity

Almost all the jobs I applied for (restaurant retail sales) acted like extroversion is a job skill

Extroverts have a competitive advantage at living, all things equal

Survival of the fittest

And the solar system contains a lot more extrovert jobs than introvert jobs (fine)

But maybe ten years later, the court will rule that job personality inventories are disability discrimination

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 9:07 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
...They told they didnt want to hire me because i answered too honestly. I guess i value not lying more than making money but thats just me...
Have you ever heard the phrase, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is"?

If every one of your answers matched their profile of a "perfect" employee, they may have become suspicious of you.  Some of their thoughts may have been:

• Did he cheat on the test?
• Was he coached in what to say?
• Was he trying to "game the system"?

... and, paradoxically ...

• Was he too perfect for the job?

That last one bears explanation.  A perfect test may indicate (to them) that you would eventually become bored with the work and seek employment elsewhere.  Many employers want hourly workers who are slightly desperate for work; such people are more likely to hold on to a job even if it is unpleasant.  An "overqualified" employee might skip out as soon as things get a little rough, leaving the employer short-handed and occupied with re-filling the position.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 1:03 pm

Where I come from it's generally not what you know it's who you know. Most people I know are in jobs where a friend or relative of theirs works too. It's always been that way for me.

Or sometimes it's just a mystery how some people manage to get a job if they don't know anyone who works there and aren't qualified for anything. I know a person who has 3 children and when they left school they all seemed to land a job straight away, but the confusing part is they were all high school drop-outs, didn't pass any exams, had no qualifications to their names, and had no experience (because they were only young), and one of them got expelled from school due to drug abuse. But all three of them got the first jobs they went for. I asked this person if him or his ex knew the people who gave them the jobs but he said they didn't. They just applied for these jobs and they were the first to be hired.
But when I left school at 17, I went for several interviews but didn't get any of the jobs, and I thought it was because I was young and inexperienced, even though I had grades and wasn't a high school drop-out. I went for similar types of jobs that my friend's children went for, such as cleaning, supermarket assistant and restaurant worker, but I had no such luck. I didn't get my first job until I was 22, because nobody would hire me.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
...They told they didnt want to hire me because i answered too honestly. I guess i value not lying more than making money but thats just me...
Have you ever heard the phrase, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is"?

If every one of your answers matched their profile of a "perfect" employee, they may have become suspicious of you.  Some of their thoughts may have been:

• Did he cheat on the test?
• Was he coached in what to say?
• Was he trying to "game the system"?

... and, paradoxically ...

• Was he too perfect for the job?

That last one bears explanation.  A perfect test may indicate (to them) that you would eventually become bored with the work and seek employment elsewhere.  Many employers want hourly workers who are slightly desperate for work; such people are more likely to hold on to a job even if it is unpleasant.  An "overqualified" employee might skip out as soon as things get a little rough, leaving the employer short-handed and occupied with re-filling the position.

Yes i have heard of that saying.I wouldnt think i would of been too overqualified considering i was just a high school kid with no experience but i guess its possible,Fnord.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:07 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Where I come from it's generally not what you know it's who you know. Most people I know are in jobs where a friend or relative of theirs works too. It's always been that way for me.

Or sometimes it's just a mystery how some people manage to get a job if they don't know anyone who works there and aren't qualified for anything. I know a person who has 3 children and when they left school they all seemed to land a job straight away, but the confusing part is they were all high school drop-outs, didn't pass any exams, had no qualifications to their names, and had no experience (because they were only young), and one of them got expelled from school due to drug abuse. But all three of them got the first jobs they went for. I asked this person if him or his ex knew the people who gave them the jobs but he said they didn't. They just applied for these jobs and they were the first to be hired.
But when I left school at 17, I went for several interviews but didn't get any of the jobs, and I thought it was because I was young and inexperienced, even though I had grades and wasn't a high school drop-out. I went for similar types of jobs that my friend's children went for, such as cleaning, supermarket assistant and restaurant worker, but I had no such luck. I didn't get my first job until I was 22, because nobody would hire me.

Id say its like that everywhere for the most part.Its why networking is so important.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:14 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
One time when i was in high school or college I applied to a part-time job at a big box store online.I took a test online and had to answer some questions.Its been so long i forgot what they were about.But the gist of it is that i answered questions honestly because I think lying is wrong.
I asked the HR person why I didnt get the job.....They told they didnt want to hire me because i answered too honestly.I guess i value not lying more than making money but thats just me.I believe it was probably muliple choice.Has something similar ever happened to you or someone you know?

Oh yes! I did not get my first job because I was far too honest. Embarissingly far too honest!

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:23 pm

I talked my way into my first job with honesty … I’ll never forget it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:32 pm

Juliette wrote:

I talked my way out of my first job. I'll never forget it as well!

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:41 pm

:lol: Do tell!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:44 pm

Nope. It is far too embarissing for a site like this! :D

Lets just say that I didn't get the job!

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:51 pm

:lol: K… must have been a doozy! :lol: Their loss! :P

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 12:50 am

Juliette wrote:

I dont think i would of gotten a job with a major corporation if i would not of lied i am ashamed to admit.One of the questions was why do you want this job.I was applying for the job because it was decent money.I had to make up a reason to tell the boss and it worked......i got the job.I feel guilty about lying to get that job.You pretty much have to lie to get a job where i live i would assume.I am very glad you had a employer that valued honesty.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 7:11 am

I would not have thought to lie to get a job. I would not anyway though if someone assumes things I may not correct them. I can be like that in life anyway both good and bad because years ago I found out that if I tried to correct good assumptions which were not true about me they all went wrong and if I tried to correct bad assumptions against me that were lies this also went wrong (As people assumed they were right because the person who told them was "Right".)... So I never bother correcting anyone either way if what they say about me is not true.... Trying to correct just causes trouble so I just walk away even if a person will think bad about me for doing so.

Life can be like that. Bullies of people who create lies only work if they have others to believe those lies, and if they believe lies there is nothing one can do anyway, as they are a bit weak to have believed the lies and not directly asked... So meh! Haha.

But going back to the being too truthful at my first job interview... I saw on the application form which we had to fill in there and then before we sat a test and then was interviewed by a panel of 14 people... On this form said that if I did not tell the truth on the form I could be prosecuted... Which I took extremely seriously and literally.
A question was asked "Have I ever been in hospital?"
So I put everything, and I mean everything!... From when I was born to very minor things including one highly embarissing moment which only happens to boys or men...

Only about 60% of us passed their tests, but then it came to the interview where they asked "How long were you in hospital when you fractured your arm?" I said "About an hour. Maybe more?"
They said "We won't ask you about the other thing then", and a lady on the panel along with some of the men were trying not to laugh.

Well I cheered them up but I didn't get the job. I was far too honest.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2021, 3:25 pm

These days I consider whether the questions - or even the tests - are something that an employer actually needs to know in order to hire someone, or information I want them to have. If not, I'm perfectly happy to lie my ass off. 200% if the questions are fluffy indeterminate s**t that couldn't ever be verified. Also any such questions immediately kill any respect I have for the employer, now and forever.