Women's rights group seeks halt to transgender prisoners

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 5:02 am

Quote:
A California law allowing transgender inmates to pick the prison gender of their choice has come under fire from a women’s rights group citing abuse of females by men.

In a letter to Gov. Gavin Newsom, the Women’s Liberation Front accused the state of violating the constitutional rights of incarcerated women by allowing men into their living quarters to “prey on women.” Since the law took effect on Jan. 1, WLF has received numerous complaints of assaulted, abused, and traumatized women at the hands of male inmates transferred into their prisons, WoLF Legal Director Lauren Adams said.

“We are working with a woman who was punched in the face so hard by a new transfer that she couldn’t chew for three days. He was taken away and released back in a different yard with no restrictions,” Adams said. “He was her cellmate. She had to sleep with him.”

Other women have been sexually abused in the past and must now contend with nude men sharing communal showers, Adams said.

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/newsom-needs-halt-transgender-mixing-201200699.html

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 2:42 am

It seems the group have released an updated statement around this:

Quote:
Women incarcerated in California’s largest women’s prison are describing the conditions as “a nightmare’s worst nightmare” after the introduction of new pregnancy resources in the Central California Women's Facility (CCWF) medical clinics. The new resources are a tacit admission by officials that women should expect to be raped when housed in prison with men, where all sex is considered non-consensual by default within the system.

Quote:
The facilities are also increasing security measures in preparation for potentially hundreds of new dangerous and violent men living alongside the vulnerable female inmate population. Women’s prisons have traditionally been lower-security and afforded more privileges to inmates since incarcerated women are less violent than men and pose a lower risk to Correctional Officers (COs) and each other. CCWF’s prison yard, for example, had been home for over three decades to trees which provided shade from the desert sun and a home to local birds. Once the men started coming, the trees were cut down, as they were seen as a security risk. (CCWF denies this happened, despite the first-hand accounts from incarcerated women). The security level of individual male inmates is otherwise completely disregarded once they enter the women’s facility, as prisons opt instead to remove privileges from all inmates.

Quote:
Speaking to Amie Ichikawa, founder of Woman II Woman and advocate for incarcerated women, one woman currently housed in CCWF said it was like the prison had “given the okay for them to rape us, cause you have a plan to take care of the aftermath.”

At a recent CCWF Captains’ Meeting, one woman read a statement in which she pleaded for help and accused COs of ignoring their previous concerns about being housed with a serial rapist:

Quote:
“How do we feel safe in our community? When we reach out for help we get nothing… There has been an assault on a woman and we still are silenced. We have had our hope taken away once again. Does anyone care that we are being forced to house with 6’2, 250+ lbs men with penises that are here for brutally raping women? We have been warned by the officials in this prison, more are coming with worse charges. Where is the safety concern for us. If we say we are in fear, we are the ones locked up.”

Source: https://www.womensliberationfront.org/news/ca-womens-prisons-anticipate-pregnancy-sb123

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 9:22 pm

I've been noticing that these so called feminists hate trans women and men. They even got a film banned that only aired once in 1993 and it was Men Don't Tell. You can see it on YouTube. Only place you can watch it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 8:30 am

The only thing that surprises me is that people are surprised by this.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 12:06 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I've been noticing that these so called feminists hate trans women and men. They even got a film banned that only aired once in 1993 and it was Men Don't Tell. You can see it on YouTube. Only place you can watch it.

Are they feminists, or are they TERFs?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 12:37 pm

Maybe those particular feminists are angry they can no longer say they are being treated worse than everyone else.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 3:03 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

TERFs are radical feminists. I should have said radical.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 3:10 pm

League_Girl wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

TERFs are radical feminists. I should have said radical.

In this context I think the TE matters more than the R.

Not all feminists are trans-exclusionary and the ones who are can't be taken as though they're the norm.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 3:23 pm

Resentment is building here in the UK about the letting trans people pick the sex of prison they want to be in.

In 2016 Male-born trans prisoners were allowed to request a transfer to women's jails. Just one year later a convicted rapist (Karen White) who identified as a female and was put into a female prison raped two women and was later jailed for life. Not surprisingly there are plenty of people who are going to abuse such a right, especially people convicted of abusing others..............

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 3:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:

What's that got to do with men being sent to women's prisons when they aren't even trans to begin with? Or being sent to women's prisons if they have a history of abusing women?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm

Quote:
The Women's Liberation Front (WoLF) is an American non-profit organization known for its opposition to transgender rights and gender identity legislation.[1][2][3][4] WoLF describes itself as a radical feminist organization; it was founded by Lierre Keith in 2013.[3] WoLF has engaged in litigation on transgender topics, working against the Obama administration's Title IX directives which defined sex discrimination to include gender identity.[3] It has been characterized by Vox as a trans-exclusionary radical feminist group.[5]

I would take accusations from this organization that these people aren't even trans with a grain of salt. They obviously have a bigger agenda that isn't just about "women's rights".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 3:52 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Quote:
The Women's Liberation Front (WoLF) is an American non-profit organization known for its opposition to transgender rights and gender identity legislation.[1][2][3][4] WoLF describes itself as a radical feminist organization; it was founded by Lierre Keith in 2013.[3] WoLF has engaged in litigation on transgender topics, working against the Obama administration's Title IX directives which defined sex discrimination to include gender identity.[3] It has been characterized by Vox as a trans-exclusionary radical feminist group.[5]

I would take accusations from this organization that these people aren't even trans with a grain of salt. They obviously have a bigger agenda that isn't just about "women's rights".

Exactly, how often did these people care about sexual assaults in prisons before they could tie it to their anti-trans agenda?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 4:32 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Quote:

Oh. Well that answers he question I asked.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 6:55 pm

If I ever go to prison I'm going to claim to be a Masculine Presenting Trans-Gender Lesbian.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 7:14 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:
A California law allowing transgender inmates to pick the prison gender of their choice has come under fire from a women’s rights group citing abuse of females by men.

In a letter to Gov. Gavin Newsom, the Women’s Liberation Front accused the state of violating the constitutional rights of incarcerated women by allowing men into their living quarters to “prey on women.” Since the law took effect on Jan. 1, WLF has received numerous complaints of assaulted, abused, and traumatized women at the hands of male inmates transferred into their prisons, WoLF Legal Director Lauren Adams said.

“We are working with a woman who was punched in the face so hard by a new transfer that she couldn’t chew for three days. He was taken away and released back in a different yard with no restrictions,” Adams said. “He was her cellmate. She had to sleep with him.”

Other women have been sexually abused in the past and must now contend with nude men sharing communal showers, Adams said.

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/newsom-needs-halt-transgender-mixing-201200699.html

Reason is a scarcity, these days. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 7:16 pm

League_Girl wrote:

There are very few validly binary concepts, in life. 8)