Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 6:33 am

Does drinking a lot of alcohol make you look old?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 7:42 am

It sure does.....No doubt about that.

Smoking, too.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 8:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Smoking, too.

s**t can I reverse the effects of alcohol on ageing by cutting it down?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 8:59 am

At the very least, it will slow down or stop the process.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
At the very least, it will slow down or stop the process.

Why do you think alcohol ages your face though?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:37 am

Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Smoking, too.

Drink less alcohol (if quitting completely isn't viable), and drink plenty of water .
Eat healthy foods (especially fruits and vegetables high in antioxidants).
Avoid exposure to excessive sunlight (and use sunblock).
Commission a painted portrait of yourself which will age instead of you - then party like it's 1999.

All of these could - to an extent - improve your skin and thus mitigate or somewhat reverse the aging effects of alcohol...

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 9:50 am

GGPViper wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Smoking, too.

Drink less alcohol (if quitting completely isn't viable), and drink plenty of water .
Eat healthy foods (especially fruits and vegetables high in antioxidants).
Avoid exposure to excessive sunlight (and use sunblock).
Commission a painted portrait of yourself which will age instead of you - then party like it's 1999.

All of these could - to an extent - improve your skin and thus mitigate or somewhat reverse the aging effects of alcohol...

I drink loads of water and have healthy diet

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 10:39 am

Jamesy wrote:

Well, people usually underestimate my age, even now with my hair completely white, so I can’t say I’ve noticed. I toyed with the thought that I’ve not drunk much hard liquor, preferring beer in the UK, and wine now I’m in France. Most hard liquor drinkers do seem to age prematurely, but I know of one acquaintance of long standing who didn’t. A clue here is that he always had a glass of water with his whisky.

QuietThoughts
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2021, 12:53 am

gwynfryn wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Well, people usually underestimate my age, even now with my hair completely white, so I can’t say I’ve noticed. I toyed with the thought that I’ve not drunk much hard liquor, preferring beer in the UK, and wine now I’m in France. Most hard liquor drinkers do seem to age prematurely, but I know of one acquaintance of long standing who didn’t. A clue here is that he always had a glass of water with his whisky.

Acetaldehyde is toxic to the human body, cells, organs, etc. That is what becomes of ethanol. By drinking alcohol you chose to shorten your lifespan.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 4:34 am

QuietThoughts wrote:
Acetaldehyde is toxic to the human body, cells, organs, etc. That is what becomes of ethanol. By drinking alcohol you chose to shorten your lifespan.

Quantity matters; ethanol production is part of the carbohydrate processing cycle, so evidently, some can be tolerated.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 4:52 am

Statistically, on the whole, it doesn't help. Truth be told, there are some people who drink like fishes and smoke like chimneys for decades, but don't appear to be physically affected (on the outside). But do you want to take the chance that you're one of the lucky ones?

QuietThoughts
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2021, 4:04 pm

gwynfryn wrote:
QuietThoughts wrote:

Quantity matters; ethanol production is part of the carbohydrate processing cycle, so evidently, some can be tolerated.

In the context of fermenting alcohol, ethanol is a by-product of sugars. That doesn't mean it's anything like a carbohydrate on a molecular level, it's still bad for you. The ethanol to acetaldehyde reaction occurs in your liver.

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Statistically, on the whole, it doesn't help. Truth be told, there are some people who drink like fishes and smoke like chimneys for decades, but don't appear to be physically affected (on the outside). But do you want to take the chance that you're one of the lucky ones?

Exactly. It's likely down to something as physiologically rudimentary as gene expression.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 11:44 am

While alcohol is legal, it is dangerous for the body and mind. Mostly, yes, it gets aging going faster. Keep in mind though, it depends on the sleep, eat and move components of your daily life. If you take good care of yourself outside of the drinking binges, then it might not be so bad.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:58 am

It impairs the functioning of all the bodies organs, something that can be become permanent and degenerative over time.

The skin, the bodies largest organ, is included in this. As its condition is how others judge our age then that's the main reason.

That's before we get into the impact on cognitive functioning and emotional wellbeing.

Why this toxic substance that impacts so much on individuals, families, communities and the health care system is still legal is perplexing.

Though I do understand that there is a business imperative - not dissimilar to the food industry that loads its products with ingredients that are harmful in quantity to maintain profits and promote addiction.

Another illustration of how illogical the predominantly neurotypical world is in my opinion.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community