Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 8:17 am

Fnord wrote:
So ... can I still call myself a human, or must I now start referring to myself as a "person experiencing humanity"?

:roll:

Naw, Fnord. No one would consider you a person experiencing humanity!

kidding :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 8:47 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So ... can I still call myself a human, or must I now start referring to myself as a "person experiencing humanity"?
Naw, Fnord. No one would consider you a person experiencing humanity! [...]
"Humanity"...

:roll: ... what a concept!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 2:47 pm

I sometimes refer to this controversy as "people with person-first language-ism vs. adjectivistic people."

Personally I prefer to use whichever expression flows best in a given sentence. Usually, but not always, that's "autistic person," rather than "person with autism." But there are exceptions. For example, I've sometimes said "a person with both autism and ADHD" instead of "an autistic person with co-occurring ADHD."

(As far as I can tell, person-first language seems to be standard for ADHD. A quick Google search has not turned up anyone objecting to it, although I found a few people who use the term "ADHDer.")

Insofar as a preference for the term "autistic person" vs. "person with autism" reflects a difference in people's views about autism itself, I'm in the "autistic person" camp. That is to say, I see my autism as a fundamental aspect of who I am, not as an incidental life circumstance.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 7:08 pm

Person first? Sure. "Person with homosexuality." "Person with deafness." "Person with blackness." Obviously much better.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 12:02 am

One of the first defenses of the term "autistic person" by an autistic person was Jim Sinclair's article Why I dislike "person first" language.