Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

stoatsarecool
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jul 2021, 6:00 am

Essentially I have a condition that makes me sneeze at bright lights or stimulus. It happens randomly and it's no different from a sneeze, say only bright lights, an example being the sun. There is no correlation with this an autism. But I do wonder, if light sensitivity comes into a preference for a dark room or lights not being on. I can cope without light and prefer to be in the dark.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 2:00 pm

No, I hate the dark. My eyes hurt in a dimly-lit room and I even get headaches.

The sunshine does make me sneeze, so I have to go around squinting my eyes to avoid getting too much light in my eyes that causes me to sneeze (I've lost my sunglasses and keep forgetting to get new ones) but I still like daylight and sunshine. I get seasonal depression whenever the nights start drawing in, and the autumn months seem to come round quicker than any other time of the year. God I hate autumn!! !

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 2:14 pm

I love being in the dark. I find well lit areas (outside, a sunny room, etc.) overwhelming because everything around me sticks out more. I can't process it all and can't filter anything out to focus on.

I love being in the dark so much that I take showers with the lights off. The bathroom is the darkest part of the house, and sans the nightlight my mom put in there it's almost pitch black. It's very relaxing.

I also like sitting in my room at night with a lamp and doing things like studying, drawing, etc. since I can actually focus on and enjoy those things, as the rest of my room isn't lit up and distracting me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jul 2021, 5:48 am

I was born with a very rare low vision disorder that includes some colorblindness & light sensitivity. I tend to see better in lower light & lighting conditions can sometimes make a huge difference in my ability to see. I prefer to be in dimmer light than very bright light like direct sunlight. I never heard of my vision disorder being related to autism in any way & I never 1ce read the name here unless I mentioned it which is Incomplete Achromatopsia

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 6:19 am

stoatsarecool wrote:
Essentially I have a condition that makes me sneeze at bright lights or stimulus. It happens randomly and it's no different from a sneeze, say only bright lights, an example being the sun. There is no correlation with this an autism. But I do wonder, if light sensitivity comes into a preference for a dark room or lights not being on. I can cope without light and prefer to be in the dark.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2015 ... -us-sneeze

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 6:31 am

I love darkness too. I shower in the dark like Hero (doesn't everyone?! 8O) because it's so much more relaxing. I have coloured lights with dimmers, fairy lights, and candles for the evenings. I don't like regular lightbulbs and they're almost never on during the day even if it's cloudy.

Most people come to my house and think it's too dark but I'm stealthy like a cat and I don't need much light at all.

Sunlight, glare, and daylight of any type gives me photophobia and occular migraines. Sunny days make me physically sick. Whether I'm feeling ill or tired, I always feel better once the sun sets. It's like daylight sucks the life out of me.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 7:50 am

I like the darkness and I sleep better in a darkened room, I can't bear sunlight glaring in the window.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 12:49 am

stoatsarecool wrote:

I dont like the dark

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 1:03 am

stoatsarecool wrote:

Well I have light sensitivity, and pretty sure it is related to my autism...but I yeah I do tend to prefer more darkness or mellow light.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 1:59 am

I'm alright in the dark.

But I'm better off at dim places with little enough light to reflect around with.
Better if that reflected light is natural.

Also relatively ok with the sunlight... As long as it's well filtered or reflected instead of full blast.

For some strange reason, I've only recently been paying attention to my own light sensitivity.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Jul 2021, 3:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I love darkness too. I shower in the dark like Hero (doesn't everyone?! 8O) because it's so much more relaxing. I have coloured lights with dimmers, fairy lights, and candles for the evenings. I don't like regular lightbulbs and they're almost never on during the day even if it's cloudy.

Most people come to my house and think it's too dark but I'm stealthy like a cat and I don't need much light at all.

Sunlight, glare, and daylight of any type gives me photophobia and occular migraines. Sunny days make me physically sick. Whether I'm feeling ill or tired, I always feel better once the sun sets. It's like daylight sucks the life out of me.
This sounds like something a goth or vampire culture person would say except for the photophobia & occular migraine part. I never got into either trend but there's aspects of em that I like though I would lean more towards goth than vampire, give me a skull & knife as a present & I'm happy :skull: Witches & Wiccans are also stereotyped to prefer the darkness as well.

Quote:
I also prefer dark themes for everything UI related.
Dark themes can make things easier for me to see sometimes but not always. Some people claim that dark themes are better for the environment cuz they use less screen power. There could be some fact to that but I highly doubt that most people would notice any real difference on their electricity bills after suddenly switching to dark themes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kottpot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2021, 3:39 pm

yea, quite a bit! sometimes if im around bright lights for too long it makes me feel very overwhelmed and triggers migraines
usually when that happens i just have to turn all the lights in my room off and go lay down, whether on the bed or just on the floor. sometimes i just do that to relax in general though
really, the only thing scary about the dark to me personally is the fact that i might trip and fall in it if im not careful :lol:
also the brightness on every electronic device i use HAS to be super dim at all times. everyone else around me questions how i see like that all the time! i find it harder to focus if something's super bright.

i'm somewhat of a night owl naturally though, and so is almost everyone else in my family. might have to do with that more, but who knows

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 4:33 pm

Usually. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:44 am

I like the dark more than I should. Sometimes I have to make myself get out in the sun, although I still prefer to exercise outdoors at night (when fewer people are around).

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:45 am

People at work refer to my office as "The Cave" because I keep the blinds drawn and the overhead lights off.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.