Unsure if I have asperger or not, need advice

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AnonymBruker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jul 2021, 2:32 pm

First, sorry for the bad english.

I recognize myself in a good part of the asperger's diagnosis, but have a low score on the tests. Have filled out RAAD-R where I scored far below the cut off and taken ADOS where I scored just below the cut off on everything except one. My parents have not been to an interview yet. The therapist said I could google and read about the diagnosis, something I did. Have pasted what I recognize under here. As far as I understood the therapist, she was very unsure whether I should get diagnoses or not, and the way forward. I felt the diagnosis explains a good part of the problems I have, but am unsure as there is a part I do not fit into. Do not know if it is enough to get the diagnosis. Thinking and that many of these things maybe and that I might just have the features from the diagnosis and that kind of functioning. Know one can not diagnose online that is but. WHAT DO YOU THINK? DO I HAVE THE DIAGNOSIS OR NOT? AND WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT?

- Is pretty direct and honest. Tends to be a little naive, appreciates honesty and sincerity and does not necessarily have automated skepticism of others.
- Socializing wears us out and we need time to recharge our batteries with plenty of time for ourselves.
- Social situations you are not used to and feel safe in lead to a lot of nervousness. The more stressed an asperger is, the poorer his social skills become.
- Most people work better when they are allowed to be with others in small portions at a time. Few people are easier to relate to.
- Spends a lot of time interpreting and understanding what is being said and then finding, formulating and expressing an answer. A conversation requires a lot of concentration.
- Maintaining a conversation is also difficult. It is generally difficult to say what, when, what is enough, how much is too much. You may be afraid to say something stupid or not be able to convey what you have to say.
- Is often afraid of doing something wrong and is vulnerable to criticism and it can make such things as asking for clarification or help in general difficult.
- Prefers writing as a form of communication. One only needs to focus on what is actually being said (written) without having to think about eye contact, body language and other tiring things. Writing makes it easier to talk about sensitive things you had not managed face to face
- Very many have great difficulty recognizing and describing emotions or describing what is going on inside one. Difficulty expressing emotions.
- Some have problems coping with anger, may have excessive reactions to minor things (among others or alone) or can bear it alone. The anger can be directed towards itself or others.
- Can smile when something tragic has happened, can smile when they are stressed without having control over it.
- Can think of things that were said for days and even months and think what person meant by this and that, what I said may have been misinterpreted, does the person think I was stupid etc.
- Would like to express compassion, but do not know how.
- Is very fond of animals.
- Has a great reluctance to be touched. Especially when it comes unexpectedly.
- Gets tired quickly from being in places a lot of noise, events with a lot of people e.g.
- When an asperger's is exposed to an overwhelming amount of stress (meets conflicting demands, unexpected things happen or many people talk at the same time) or too many sensory impressions at once, it will overload their systems. It can manifest itself in different ways. Some just stop working and withdraw completely into themselves.
- Aspergers can have a hard time getting things started. But once we get started, it can be just as difficult to quit. Although we have a great ability to concentrate when it comes to something we are interested in, we have ditto inability when it comes to things we are not interested in.
- Stimming: Talk to yourself loudly in your mind.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jul 2021, 2:52 pm

Look up "female type Asperger's", like this article:
https://autism.lovetoknow.com/Aspergers_in_Girls
or this list:

Not all women with AS show this presentation and not all AS people with this presentation are women but it's more common in girls than boys - and it can "fly under the radar" and go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for years.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 3:34 pm

I am completely unqualified, but I would be interested in your pre-school years.
Did you start crawling, walking, talking etc at a normal age?
Did you walk on your toes?
How did you play with your friends, if you had any?
How were your motoric skills? Were you clumsy?
Did you look your mother in the eyes when being fed?
Did you like hugs/being touched?
Were you a picky eater?
and some other things that I don't recall right now...

/Mats