Page 1 of 32 [ 499 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 5:30 pm

I remember some guy once told me a story, about a woman whom God sent to Hell because she didn't forgive her husband for cheating. The reasoning was that not forgiving her husband is bad because God forgives.

But. like seriously, when?! When did God ever simply forgive anyone? Notice how even in this story God did not forgive the woman. How blatantly this story contradicts its own narrative is absolutely hilarious. :lol: According to Christianity, God was unable to forgive humanity without requiring the blood sacrifice of his son. Wouldn't that mean that the woman in the story, in order to emulate God's "forgiveness", would be required to torture and murder a child of her own as well?

Just think about how absurd this would sound in any other context. Imagine, if you will, that the leader of your country decided to pardon every criminal and release them from their sentences. But decided that the only way they could do that was by first torturing and executing an innocent man to "pay the price for their sins". Would this make any sense to you?

So let me see if I can get this straight: first God creates humans, supposedly giving us whatever characteristics we possess. But after that God decides that he is unhappy with the creation that he himself designed. And instead of accepting responsibility for his own screw-up he blames us for having whatever flaws he designed us with and decides that we deserve eternal damnation for being the way he made us. So he creates this horrible place called Hell that exists for no other purpose than to be an expansive sadistic torture chamber where he can eternally punish us for the crime of existing. But because he loves us so much he decides that he has to save us from the Hell that he himself decided to damn us to in the first place. But in order to solve this problem that only exists because he himself chose to create it, he decided for some absurd reason that he is required to sacrifice an innocent person first.

Can anyone explain to me how any remotely intelligent human being can actually think any of this makes a lick of sense?! !!

If we are inherently sinful, then that it is because God created us that way. Either this was by design, meaning God is malicious; or it was by accident, meaning God is fallible. If it was a mistake, God is punishing us for his error. And if it was by design, then God deliberately created us with qualities that he knew he would punish us for. Apologists like to argue that we choose to be sinful, but then they insist that it is impossible to choose not to be sinful in order to justify the need for accepting Jesus.

And if God does love all humanity, why couldn't he simply forgive everyone? Who is it that decided God cannot forgive us without a blood sacrifice? Either God himself just arbitrarily decided that such a barbaric and sadistic ritual is required, or he answers to an authority higher than himself that dictated this absurd rule to him. Christian apologists argue that it is God's "holiness" that requires a blood cost for sin, but this is just more nonsense. Was it God who arbitrarily decided that holiness demands this, or was that dictated to him by an authority higher than himself?

Any god who would sadistically torture people or demand that a barbaric blood ritual is required to forgive anyone is not and cannot be moral, loving, or forgiving.

Last edited by dorkseid on 08 Jul 2021, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 5:42 pm

I'm an agnostic.

One cannot argue rationally about religion. It just can't be done.

I don't see the "reality" of God.....but there are people who need God, even though there really isn't any physical proof of His existence.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 5:46 pm

I consider myself religious, but many people, unfortunately use religion as excuses to be bigots and avoid sex.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 5:50 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I consider myself religious, but many people, unfortunately use religion as excuses to be bigots and avoid sex.

Something about the phrasing "excuses to be bigots and avoid sex" just made LOL :lol:

Why would anyone need to avoid sex? And if you do, why would you need an excuse?

Last edited by dorkseid on 08 Jul 2021, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 5:51 pm

Because of the "guilt" factor.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 5:52 pm

But religion is the only reason there is any guilt associated with sex.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 6:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm an agnostic.

Agnostic is what one knows. Theist or atheist is what one believes. In this sense, everyone is an agnostic.

I do not know whether or not some higher being created us or our world. For all I know, there could be some kind of deity or race of deities that creates universes and life. Or we could be part of a simulation created in a higher reality. Or there could be any other number of possibilities that we've never even conceived of.

But if we are talking specifically about the Judeo-Christian mythology, everything about it is obviously made up.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 6:02 pm

I don't like it when sex becomes a wanton thing, devoid of emotion.

Then it becomes like masturbation----only worse.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 6:02 pm

It sounds more like this guy's conception of Christianity is what's absurd.

dorkseid wrote:

I've met way too many lifetime atheists and agnostics who have guilt surrounding sex for me to believe this. Sex is a point of insecurity, guilt, and shame for many people regardless of religion or lack thereof.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 6:43 pm

True Absurdity of 'Christianity' is the So-Called 'Loyal Sheep'
Followers Often Totally Ignore Their Own Damning Story...

Evidence Below That All Republican Politicians
Who Do not Support Feeding And Clothing
Immigrants At the Southern Border; And

Who Do not Want to Provide Free

Health Care to The Masses,

Including the 'Homeless

Jesus on the Side of the Road' Are Going to Hell;

Yet of Course, only if they Are Christian; If They

Are Not Christian, It's Only Evidence They Have No Love in Their Heart

For the Poor And Displaced; Damn, i Bet Having No Love in Their Heart This Way Feels Like Hell...

Hmm, i Wonder if This Is Just A Metaphor Below That Applies to All Folks Who Have no LoVE iN their HeART

To Feel, Give, Care, And Share Freely...

It sure seemed like

That to me when

i Lost Heaven in

my Heart/Soul/Spirit For Real...

Anyway, Reciprocating Poetry

With Thousands of Folks Around

The World, It is surely Self-Evident

Now That With Poetry it's Very Possible

To Derive Any Interpretation Depending

On Who Is Measuring The Metaphors with Meaning...

So What This Means is; Some Folks May Interpret this
"Sheep And Goats Story" below to mean Going to Hell Forever After Death; And

Others May Interpret it to Mean Being in Hell For What Feels Like Forever Now...

Considering, i've Been THere And Done it; Naturally, i View it Realistically more this way...

It Must really S88K Being A Heartless A88Hole Per Meme of Unreformed Orange Grinch Trump...

Yes,

It Does...

-Just Another Reformed Grinch...

It's Easy Now to See that The Top of the Mountain

Was Hell For the Grinch; And He Went into The 'Whoville Valley' To Gain Height As Far As Size of HeART, SPiRiT, SoUL...

It's True That Old Cartoon Tale Explains What Heaven And Hell Really is Much Better Than Old Antiquated Trash...

"Whoville" Was Actually Heaven; The 'Who People' Truly Had Hearts, Souls, Spirits of Gold to Give, Care, Share Freely

To All, Even to the Damned

'Devil Grinch'; The 'Goats

And Sheep Story'

Is As Clear As
'Gehenna Mud...'

Later on Tonight, Just for Fun, As A Participant

Anthropology Observer (Like Most Everyone)
i'll Listen to A 6 out of 6th Facebook Streaming

Installment of A Local Priest Explaining 'The Book of Revelation'

In How It's Only A Subchapter Book of Hope For 'God's People'

And The Rest of the Folks Who Don't Comply with
All the Rules Will Burn Forever in a Lake of Fire by
Order of the Unreformed Grinch/God/Jesus Who is

All Forgiving, All Merciful, All Loving Enemies Until He Decides He's 'Trump' Again

And Acts in Accordance With That Other Meme And Fires Ones who don't comply Forever!

God Jesus Mythical Devil;
Yes, Applying

Worse

Torture

Than the

'Hannibal the

Cannibal Dude' off the

Movie, "Silence of the

Lambs"; Is it Any Wonder

That Folks Who Worship After Death

More Than Life Now Carry A Frown in Life:

In Short

No...

Damn that Old

Story is Antiquated

Trash in Old Gehenna...

Thank Goodness 'A Grinch'
Came (Comes) to Clear Up All the Confusion...

And Actually Yes, The Grinch Story would make
Even More Sense if All the People Who Lived in the
Whoville Valley Were Left Handed and the Grinch Right Handed...

True, Left Handed Folks Tend to Have More Metaphor of Right Brained Social, Empathic, Artistic, Spiritual Intelligences...

Hmm, My Father Was Left Handed And Still Found a Way to Repress 'That Intelligence' on His 'High Mountain Top' too...

-Same Old Damned Hero Story; Hero (me) Falls In Darkness, Defeats The Demons Of His Father And Rises As Hero again

to Share Some Helpful Hints in 'The Valley' Coming Out Of The Dark (Hell) into Light/Love/Heaven Within Again...

Anyway, Old Human Archetypal Real And Truly Present

Stories Are Good For

Something at Least...

"The Sheep and the Goats"

(AKA Cool Horror Story Bro)

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous (Actually, The Leftists) to eternal life.”

-(me)

FeatNote: Either One Is

Love (God); One Does
Love (God); or Not (Not Love/God Does) Now...
Hehe, And THere is 'the MASSiVE In Between Purgatory' Part Now too...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 7:55 pm

As a sequential storyline, character development it all makes perfect sense. Real absurdity is how many people who self-identify as christians completely miss the point and cite some stuff from the old testament, examples of what supposed to be seen as unwarranted brutality and wrath, to justify their sh***y attitudes.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 8:30 pm

dorkseid wrote:

In fuedal times there were also laws enforced by the fuedal lords where peasants were obliged to inform their masters when they could have sex. The lords didn't want their peasant folk ploughing each other when they could be busy ploughing the fields for their masters/lords. So it wasn't just the church adding to the stigma around sex.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 8:32 pm

badRobot wrote:
AReal absurdity is how many people who self-identify as christians completely miss the point and cite some stuff from the old testament, examples of what supposed to be seen as unwarranted brutality and wrath, to justify their sh***y attitudes.

It amuses me when christians cherry pick scriptures to cite the old testament as if its law but then ignore all the other weird stuff that made it to the NIV :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 8:41 pm

dorkseid wrote:
So let me see if I can get this straight: first God creates humans, supposedly giving us whatever characteristics we possess. But after that God decides that he is unhappy with the creation that he himself designed. And instead of accepting responsibility for his own screw-up he blames us for having whatever flaws he designed us with and decides that we deserve eternal damnation for being the way he made us. So he creates this horrible place called Hell that exists for no other purpose than to be an expansive sadistic torture chamber where he can eternally punish us for the crime of existing. But because he loves us so much he decides that he has to save us from the Hell that he himself decided to damn us to in the first place. But in order to solve this problem that only exists because he himself chose to create it, he decided for some absurd reason that he is required to sacrifice an innocent person first. .

One of the hardest things for a person bought up in a christian home is to learn about the scientific method at school. It means that when you think in a rationale and objective manner then the whole premise of the bible is basically a form of belief in authority based on consensus (where the church is the self-declared authority).

I have never understood how somebody can call themselves a scientist and still believe in an all powerful diety who apparently shares human qualities like anger, vengeance and indecision.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 9:15 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
It sounds more like this guy's conception of Christianity is what's absurd.

Feel free to show me what part of the Christian narrative I'm incorrect about.

roronoa79 wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

I've met way too many lifetime atheists and agnostics who have guilt surrounding sex for me to believe this. Sex is a point of insecurity, guilt, and shame for many people regardless of religion or lack thereof.

Just because they are not religious themselves does not discount that they exist in the context of a religious society.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2021, 9:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't like it when sex becomes a wanton thing, devoid of emotion.

Then it becomes like masturbation----only worse.

Sometimes wanton sex is the only option someone has.