Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 8:44 am

You should now print this out and lock it away for future reference. You’ll know why when you’ve read the rest of this. Please do not take the time to read it first; print it now.

It’s bad enough that yahoo emptied some of my boxes for not having used them for 12 months (but that at least appears legit) then I noticed it was getting more difficult to log on to either of my Face Book pages, and they’ve now been locked. The facility offered for unlocking then takes me a to a verification page that has nothing resembling a “message” button on it!

I’m able to sign in to most of my yahoo accounts, but my first attempt to do so on the box I used for job applications didn’t work. I tried a more recent password (an add-on chunk) with the same result. For want of any better ideas I reversed the chunks, and that took me to a verification page which asked me to recover a code from an account I didn’t know I had (I’ve just looked at that ISP but none of the variants I could think of would open a box). I tried to sign in again, using any old letter as password, and, as expected, I got the same page at the third attempt: this isn’t a bug; it’s somebody playing mind games with me!

Then it was Google; when I searched for “autism gwynfryn”, which used to produce a list of the hundreds of posts and blogs I’ve placed on dozens of sites over the last two decades, but now I get only a couple of dozen references to other guys called Gwynfryn, plus some villages hospitals and the like. I get not a single mention; it’s as if I never existed! Care to try it?

Now I’m sure some of you consider me a deluded crank for my criticism of how autism research is progressing (or, rather, not progressing) or the continued adherence to the long since disproved General Relativity Theory, but the events above should tell that someone out there is taking me very seriously indeed; they have put a very great deal of effort into burying my posts. We’re discussing, here, someone powerful enough, to override the likes of Yahoo and Google. In short, the Establishment and they are not nice people.

Is it any better here at Wrong Planet? Years after I mentioned these problems I still get notifications with a sign-in which doesn’t work, nor do my “search” or “own posts” buttons produce anything useful, making it very difficult for me to consult previous posts. Isn’t it part of the job of administrators to correct problems like that? I’m sure Alex intends this site to be Autistic friendly, but clearly some of the volunteers he lets run the place have different agendas…

Do you understand now why I asked you to print this out? Without such backups, it looks like I’ll soon be disappeared altogether with all my post vanishing into the ether. At his point, if you haven’t done so recently, it would be a good idea to replace and beef up all your passwords for any association with me is likely to put you on the target list. Do it right; at least 15 digits, with plenty of numbers and symbols. Be afraid! There are plenty of sites that show how to make such passwords memorable.

At age 66 with a heart defect, I’m not likely to be around much longer, but if you come across a report of my “accidental” death, be very suspicious.