Is there a method for psychiatrists to look stupid?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 11:56 am

I feel that I'm not getting through to my psychiatrist, he seems to not understand that what I describe is more or less typical for autists.
But I wonder, does he know, but pretend not to, to get reactions to observe?
It seems like a pretty stupid method if it's true, since I will see through it. Or is that a part of the method?
It gets really complicaded pretty fast when you think about it...
Or perhaps I'm just paranoid?

/Mats

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 11:58 am

You could tell him and watch his reaction to assess him as a psyciatrist?

WhatTheHey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2021, 11:48 pm

If he's like the large number of psychiatrists I've worked with in group homes/etc, he only understands his own limited version of reality, and nothing further. He just has the power to tag and drug others for not living out his reality.

larsivegen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2021, 3:42 am

Guess he don’t understand you is seeing through him.
NT’s just trust what the social rules say you should understand.
They just trust there role-play is what you understand.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 3:47 am

Know more than them...it usually works, like they struggle to get through to me because I put up that defense and at that point they kind of realize regular therapy is useless for a person like me.

It's like 'well I never got trained to deal with mentally alternative people....what do I do with this patient' and me being like, well hell you already failed because I can't even open up to a therapist because they don't even know what to do with it. And you are just doing the same thing all the other ones did of not actually being helpful and directing me to other services. Till eventually I was just like you know, f**k therapy, why should I pay money just to talk to someone who isn't even really hearing me? Smoking a bowl of weed(which I got a med card for) is way more helpful than all that psyco-babble, at least to me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 4:24 am

It could be that he is using a technique.

Like if a shy person (NT or AS) is afraid to go dancing because they a terrified of "making mistakes"- a shrink might "play dumb" and ask the person "so...you're so important that everyone at the dance will just suddenly STOP and stare at you ...just because you made a mistake?". This will guide the person into realizing that "hey I am NOT the center of the universe. Folks wont do that. So I might as well just cut loose and get on the dancefloor, mistakes be damned!" and maybe laugh at themselves as well.

But more likely -yes- it could also be what you probably suspect- that he just isnt trained to deal with folks on the autism spectrum, and our different thought patterns.

You might want to give us examples.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 4:37 am

naturalplastic wrote:
It could be that he is using a technique.

Like if a shy person (NT or AS) is afraid to go dancing because they a terrified of "making mistakes"- a shrink might "play dumb" and ask the person "so...you're so important that everyone at the dance will just suddenly STOP and stare at you ...just because you made a mistake?". This will guide the person into realizing that "hey I am NOT the center of the universe. Folks wont do that. So I might as well just cut loose and get on the dancefloor, mistakes be damned!" and maybe laugh at themselves as well.

But more likely -yes- it could also be what you probably suspect- that he just isnt trained to deal with folks on the autism spectrum, and our different thought patterns.

For that I'd just end up overanalyzing what I am doing wrong in dancing...and would probably get so stuck on that with that kind of thing, I wouldn't see the bigger message they were trying to put forward. Hence why over a time it just kinda felt like therapy was just glorified paying someone to talk to you whether it was helpful or not.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 6:39 am

naturalplastic wrote:

In my diagnosis (that he has read) it says that I have problems with every day tasks, such as cleaning and paying the bills.
And we've talked about it quite a lot, that I will "do it later" and once I get to it, I get overwhelmed.
It has gotten me into problems like having the water cut off, since I didn't pay the bills.
Then in our last session, he said something like "But, hey. Why don't you try to do these things regularly?".

/Mats