Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 3:07 pm

Tired of video conferencing? Research suggests you're right to question its effectiveness - Carnegie Mellon study:

Quote:
In the year since the coronavirus pandemic upended how just about every person on the planet interacts with one another, video conferencing has become the de facto tool for group collaboration within many organizations. The prevalent assumption is that technology that helps to mimic face-to-face interactions via a video camera will be most effective in achieving the same results, yet there's little data to actually back up this presumption. Now, a new study challenges this assumption and suggests that non-visual communication methods that better synchronize and boost audio cues are in fact more effective.

"We found that video conferencing can actually reduce collective intelligence," says Anita Williams Woolley, Associate Professor of Organizational Behavior and Theory at Carnegie Mellon's Tepper School of Business, who co-authored the paper. "This is because it leads to more unequal contribution to conversation and disrupts vocal synchrony. Our study underscores the importance of audio cues, which appear to be compromised by video access.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 8:55 am

That's all very well and good, but I, personally, don't learn that well from audio-only. Never have. Perhaps this is why I took to video-conferencing more readily than some others.

The other point I want to make is that for therapy, having both audio and video is much better than audio alone. This is because the therapist needs nonverbal as well as verbal feedback about how you are doing. Ideally in person, but the convenience factor (no transportation) may be a more important consideration in some cases.

So, one study may "suggest" or "challenge" an assumption, but not for me.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 12:13 pm

The article quoted in the post was specifically about group collaboration, not therapy sessions and not online classrooms.

Be that as it may, people -- especially autistic people, even more so than NT's -- vary in how they handle different kinds of sensory stimuli. What works well for some of us may not work well for others.

But what I found interesting about the article was how it contrasts with the common popular wisdom about the importance of nonverbal communication. Evidently, for some purposes at least, the nonverbal stuff can be an unproductive distraction, even for NT's. I find this interesting because nonverbal communication is one of my own major weaknesses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 3:58 am

face2face > videoconferencing > audio only

That's based on the published data

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
face2face > videoconferencing > audio only

For some purposes but not others, apparently.

cyberdad wrote:
That's based on the published data

Your source of said published data?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 4:43 pm

This is for teaching (just google it)

Even with technology and real-time communication, there is a tendency for students to switch off cameras or basically feel less connected to the teacher and their students when learning from home.

One of the major issues for universities at the moment (particularly for covid) is the lack of engagement students have with synchronous online teaching methods when they can lie in bed or sit playing video games or in a car while listening to class.

What is even worse is asynchronous recorded classes which virtually makes learning no different to watching Youtube videos.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 1:51 pm

Hmmm...

If it concerns collective intelligence...
Does this also concern compliance?
But then it already stated the concerns around 'social connections' or being connected.

How about ND variables? It's easy to find all-NT based studies.

Personally, I have more issues with audio only and also required me to do more effort with it.

I'm not good with following audio only. To be more precise, words only.

Also because I tend to read lips while listening, because I seem to develop some form of auditory processing issue just few years ago...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 1:32 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
it contrasts with the common popular wisdom about the importance of nonverbal communication

"Importance" to what, though? The key point seems to be that...
Quote:
[...] visual nonverbal cues appear to enable some collaborators to dominate the conversation

But this does not contradict the preceding...
Quote:
[...] prevalent assumption that technology that helps to mimic face-to-face interactions via a video camera will be most effective in achieving the same results.

...because face-to-face interactions also allow non-verbal communication, so might reasonably be expected to suffer the same shortcoming (i.e. "achiev[ing] the same results" includes "enabl[ing] some collaborators to dominate").

In other words, what has actually been demonstrated is that the popular wisdom is true - visual non-verbal communication can help one to "win friends and influence people" - and that this allows 'charismatic' people to dominate group situations to the detriment of collective intelligence (which we probably already knew!)