Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 6:30 pm

About a month ago, I've changed jobs and trying to settle in after decided to give up with doing Deliveroo and Uber Eats full time, especially with the exploitation.

In the beginning I thought, this is going to be brilliant. A job that has pretty decent pay, they have like health and safety procedures in place.... So I thought.

Turns out, management are unfair and I can list a few reasons why.

A driver walked out yesterday because they complained about him being late all the time but this particular day, he was early but still they said he was late. Then the manager just said "It's people like you that give us a bad name" the fact he just put him in a category. When this driver asked what did he say? The guy ignored him and carried on like he wasn't there. Hours later, he came back just to collect his items and thought enough is enough.

Then when I took a break when it wasn't busy, he made a BIG scene at the fact that only 2 people took a break out of 10 of us drivers. ESPECIALLY if we're on the road up to 12 hours a day. Instead of going to both of us, why come STRAIGHT to me. Also bare in mind, I think it's absolute bollocks that we have 30 minutes break, ESPECIALLY if we are out there long hours. I bloody gave up my break because I just couldn't be arsed to deal with confrontation.

And now today, they are making such a HUGE deal at the fact that I'm SUPPOSEDLY late, now HOW I'M I LATE when I always come at least 10 minutes early for EVERY SINGLE SHIFT. I have no excuse since I live quite close to the warehouse, about 10-15 minutes away. ALSO it is documented, they need to look at their CCTV. They need to communicate to each other.
Another driver who was on her break went to Sainsbury's which is only round the corner and management went ballistic.

Noticed a pattern here, it seems to only occur with the minority. It's disgusting and I REALLY want to confront them over this. The fact I even go an extra mile to help them EVEN though I shouldn't have to. Even when it gets suddenly busy, I offer to stay a little longer.

Literally on the verge of just walking out without notice or feeling like I'm going to do something so stupid that's going to just get me fired (once again).

Also if there is an issue with the wrong address, WHY IN THE HELL should I have to call customer service agent where I was stuck on hold for 15 minutes? When I did get through, they somehow got the numbers and names completely mixed up. This is NOT the first time this has happened. Why can't I just deal with the warehouse? This doesn't make any sense at all.

Sorry for the long rant but this has been truly bothering me for the past few days.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 6:49 pm

So sorry for the obvious incompetency and the likely discrimination. I hope you can find something else soon or the ship miraculously turns around. I tried to turn my corporate ship around but when it's variance from course was minor I left (under duress) b/c I did not want to hit that iceberg with them.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 6:57 pm

Sounds like workplace bullying where the manager is the bully. I used to come in an hour early and leave an hour later or more without pay (And I was expected to work during this time) to keep my job and I often had to work compulsary overtime on days off without pay. (I was only working 12 hours a week on minimum wage but averaging more then double that. I also had to lift things to a great height on my own and threatened with the sack if I didn't, and yet when the other staff did it they had to have three staff members to lift them. It eventually left me with a major burnout where I eventually had to quit. Even after I quit they kept wanting me back to do work "Off the books" but I refused. I couldn't even if I wanted to as I was in a mental and physical mess. I found out later that for the first few years I was not even on the company books, and when I was I was not allowed to see or retain my contract other then the brief time I saw it when signing it).

My advice is to let their head office know what is going on and why there is such a high staff turnover. They may not know what has been going on. Tell your head office that you are considering finding another job because you do not see how you can continue in the company when management bullying is being used against you and others.

There are good and bad managers out there. Sure, if employees are really slacking off, then it is a different issue. Managers jobs are to encourage and push you towards achieving greater things... Not create a poor enviroment. The guy is not management material to be honest.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 7:04 pm

Sorry to hear this, Ian. Don’t like the sound of that! That’s enough to make anyone start looking elsewhere for employment. Hoping this will all settle down, otherwise, whoever’s making life hard for you might need bringing down a peg or two(hopefully it won’t come to that, but he may need to be reported for unfair harassment if he keeps that up). Especially as there are ways of proving you weren’t late. Some battles are worth fighting when it comes to employment, but if this becomes ongoing, it’s not worth the toll that kind of treatment can take on your health. You deserve better.

Last edited by Juliette on 09 Jul 2021, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 7:05 pm

SharonB wrote:
So sorry for the obvious incompetency and the likely discrimination. I hope you can find something else soon or the ship miraculously turns around. I tried to turn my corporate ship around but when it's variance from course was minor I left (under duress) b/c I did not want to hit that iceberg with them.

I thought exactly this and hoping one or the other happens. I don't know if transferring warehouse is really going to make much of a difference since one of them operate in areas I would likely transfer to, also it would take much longer to get there. I might just hop over to their competitors. :lol:

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 7:33 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Sounds like workplace bullying where the manager is the bully. I used to come in an hour early and leave an hour later or more without pay (And I was expected to work during this time) to keep my job and I often had to work compulsary overtime on days off without pay. (I was only working 12 hours a week on minimum wage but averaging more then double that. I also had to lift things to a great height on my own and threatened with the sack if I didn't, and yet when the other staff did it they had to have three staff members to lift them. It eventually left me with a major burnout where I eventually had to quit. Even after I quit they kept wanting me back to do work "Off the books" but I refused. I couldn't even if I wanted to as I was in a mental and physical mess. I found out later that for the first few years I was not even on the company books, and when I was I was not allowed to see or retain my contract other then the brief time I saw it when signing it).

My advice is to let their head office know what is going on and why there is such a high staff turnover. They may not know what has been going on. Tell your head office that you are considering finding another job because you do not see how you can continue in the company when management bullying is being used against you and others.

There are good and bad managers out there. Sure, if employees are really slacking off, then it is a different issue. Managers jobs are to encourage and push you towards achieving greater things... Not create a poor enviroment. The guy is not management material to be honest.

What they did in your case is actually illegal for 2 reasons. The fact you weren't on the companies book and you weren't allowed to look into your contract sounds like shady business or they were evading tax.
Did you ever get given a contract at the beginning of your job, if not, you could technically take them to a employment tribunal and could have won your case this way.

This is something that I felt like saying or would probably end up saying tomorrow. Usually, when I do end up speaking up, I usually end up either fired or punished. I don't think most of them are management material in my honest opinion.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 7:37 pm

Juliette wrote:
Sorry to hear this, Ian. Don’t like the sound of that! That’s enough to make anyone start looking elsewhere for employment. Hoping this will all settle down, otherwise, whoever’s making life hard for you might need bringing down a peg or two(hopefully it won’t come to that, but he may need to be reported for unfair harassment if he keeps that up). Especially as there are ways of proving you weren’t late. Some battles are worth fighting when it comes to employment, but if this becomes ongoing, it’s not worth the toll that kind of treatment can take on your health. You deserve better.

I think I've already kinda started doing so. Hopefully it won't get to that stage. There's many proof, it has been documented everytime I've clocked in and signed in on the company smartphone. CCTV should also prove this also.

Actually feel like taking action, regardless if it means me losing this job, I already have something to fall back on but it is something I don't feel it's a ideal situation.