Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2021, 5:03 am

It would seem that the only person I feel comfortable saying "I love you" to is my mother. In my life, I've had two girlfriends. I often said "I love you" while I was in those relationships. I've since come to conclusion that I'm asexual/aromantic. The last relationship ended 14 years ago and I haven't sought to be in another one, nor have I missed it.

So there are a couple people in my life who have said "I love you" to me in recent times and I was flattered, but didn't feel comfortable saying it back.

A few times, my longtime co-worker said it to me and said she wanted me to say it back. The most I could manage was "you too." She acted somewhat insulted, though she may have been teasing. Tonight, she and another co-worker were walking by and the other co-worker said "I love you" to me, to which I could only laugh nervously. They then continued to walk by before I could ask any follow-up questions. I assume the co-worker who had said it to me before put her up to it, to see what my reaction would be. Again, possibly they were just teasing.

Then, there's my friend, who typically refers to anyone he's talking to as "brother." He will frequently say things like, "I love you, my brother from another mother." Again, all I can seem to say is "you too." He hasn't mentioned being insulted.

Then there's my stepfather, with whom I have a complicated relationship. He's not very expressive of positive emotions in general. Neither of us says "I love you" to the other unless we're prompted to do so by my mother, in which case, it's usually rather strained.

I think possibly this is left over from those two girlfriends. The first turned out to be extremely controlling and emotionally abusive. The second was much nicer, but towards the end of relationship, was heavily pressuring me to marry her. I feel like I kind of associate the phrase with the obligation to feel emotions on cue, which I'm not usually good at. Also, it always strikes me as very unexpected whenever someone outside my family says it to me, especially since I'm not in a romantic relationship.

Last edited by vividgroovy on 10 Jul 2021, 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 5:13 am

vividgroovy wrote:
I think possibly this is left over from those two girlfriends. The first turned out to be extremely controlling and emotionally abusive. The second was much nicer, but towards the end of relationship, was heavily pressuring me to marry her. I feel like I kind of associate the phrase with the obligation to feel emotions on cue, which I'm not usually good at. Also, it always strikes me as very unexpected whenever it happens, especially since I'm not in a romantic relationship.

Can you at least pretend to say you are in love?

A few questions
1. How did you develop a relationship with two different girls without saying the word "love"?
2. You said you are asexual, did you not consumate either relationship? if you did was it not enjoyable?
3. The second girl wanted to marry you, why did you not want to be in a long term relationship with her?

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2021, 5:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
Can you at least pretend to say you are in love?

I have trouble saying it. I do have feelings of friendship for these people. I guess I associate "I love you" with another step that I feel awkward taking.

Quote:

A few questions
1. How did you develop a relationship with two different girls without saying the word "love"?

I did say "I love you" to each of the girlfriends during those relationships, actually rather frequently. (The relationship with the second girlfriend began several years after the first one ended.) That's where I think my issue stems from. I associate it with the negative aspects of those relationships.

Quote:
2. You said you are asexual, did you not consumate either relationship? if you did was it not enjoyable?

I've never looked at any person and felt the kind of instant attraction that other people describe. I only feel that for fictional characters. Both of the girlfriends started out as friends and the romantic relationships developed later. In both cases, there was some initial spark of interest when we first began kissing, etc., but it didn't last. The first relationship was not consumated. The second one was consumated once.

Quote:
3. The second girl wanted to marry you, why did you not want to be in a long term relationship with her?

There were a lot of factors. Basically, when we began the relationship I was very clear that I didn't generally have romantic or sexual interests and the one relationship I did have had been a nightmare. She agreed that we would take it slow and see what happened. 9 months in, her attitude basically became, "Well, I've shown you everything there is about me. Where's my ring?" I was 26 and she was 40. She also began to yell at me frequently, which after the volcanic tempers of my stepfather and Girlfriend #1, I had very little tolerance for. Shortly after we broke up, she met someone else and got married.

Last edited by vividgroovy on 10 Jul 2021, 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 5:35 am

vividgroovy wrote:
her attitude basically became, "Well, I've shown you everything there is about me. Where's my ring?" I was 26 and she was 40. She also began to yell at me frequently, which after my stepfather and Girlfriend #1, who both had volcanic tempers, I had very little tolerance for. Shortly after we broke up, she met someone else and got married.

Whoa! dude....that age gap (26-40) for a guy-girl is really unusual?? Yep I understand now why she wanted you.

It sounds like you struck out, but, I am wondering if you are not really interested in a physical relationship then should you not tell these girls in advance?

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2021, 5:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
Whoa! dude....that age gap (26-40) for a guy-girl is really unusual?? Yep I understand now why she wanted you.

Yes, I think so. She looked much younger than her age.

Quote:
It sounds like you struck out, but, I am wondering if you are not really interested in a physical relationship then should you not tell these girls in advance?

I'm not really sure in what sense I struck out?

Also, in my previous post, I mentioned

Quote:
...when we began the relationship I was very clear that I didn't generally have romantic or sexual interests and the one relationship I did have had been a nightmare.

With the first girlfriend, I had no experience with romantic relationships and neither did she, so I thought we were kind of in the same boat, figuring things out. Also, we had met in a musical theater class, so for me it was kind of about that we shared the same interest. What I didn't know was that she had a very, very specific idea of what a boyfriend was supposed to be and basically looked upon me as a lump of clay that she could turn into that person.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 6:22 am

vividgroovy wrote:
Yes, I think so. She looked much younger than her age.

She must have been easy on the eyes. Fair enough, I've seen plenty of hot 40 yr olds.

vividgroovy wrote:
With the first girlfriend, I had no experience with romantic relationships and neither did she, so I thought we were kind of in the same boat, figuring things out. Also, we had met in a musical theater class, so for me it was kind of about that we shared the same interest. What I didn't know was that she had a very, very specific idea of what a boyfriend was supposed to be and basically looked upon me as a lump of clay that she could turn into that person.

I think these girls/women liked you and thought they could change you.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 2:40 am

I tend to view saying "I love you" as a tad corny, and I'd feel downright embarrassed if somebody said that "I love you my brother from another mother" thing, though I would think a lot of people would feel the same as I do, and I've never heard anybody say it, so maybe it's a modern American thing. Anyway I don't envy you. I reserve the ILY thing for partners, I always forget to say it and feel coy about saying it - I tend to feel that there's no point stating the obvious - but I nearly always say it back if my partner says it to me, and I only feel slightly weird when I do that.

I suppose saying ILY is a ritual with couples, and I don't relate to rituals very much at all. It's a shame there are these funny little expectations because it's a pretty uncomfortable experience when somebody tries to make you do something you can't do.

I've also had it said to me by partners whose behaviour hasn't really backed up their claim, though of course there are many different ideas about what love is supposed to mean. To me these days, if anything it just means that everything is more or less as it should be in the feelings department. But I'd rather demonstrate that I care about somebody than say it, and I'd rather people did the same for me.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 10:25 am

I'm not comfortable saying it either.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 10:32 am

Yes.

To me, words are mostly awkward. Terms such as that is even more awkward.

It always feels like there's a huge gap between what I feel and what I say, even if the words are intended to express what I feel.

The expressions -- 'cues' that is words felt more an obligation, something one will say out of rehearsed script to me than something authentic...

I prefer hugging someone until their bones may break. 8O :?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 11:06 am

"I love you" in the early phase of a relationship means "I feel a constant desire to have sex with you". Women are quick to tell a male lover that because a.) they've been conditioned to be ashamed of their sexual desires and b.) they think that admitting to the intensity of their physical desire will put them at an advantage.

To a man, "I love you" means something beyond sex and it's unlikely they'll have formed such feelings so quickly.

Actual "love" (whatever that means) is something that requires substantial time to form, I suppose it happens when the other person becomes a truly important part of your life beyond being a sex partner.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2021, 4:22 am

Thank you for the replies, everyone. It's nice to know there are other people who feel the same way.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2021, 9:46 pm

Have not known personally many of the 'spectrum,' but those few I have had the honor of knowing well have been each and every one intensely honest, genuine humans.

Much of the world is play-acting.
Autists are genuine beings locked in a world of pretending. (Or so it seems to me in this limited experience)

Consider the world "love."
It has become so saccharinized -- so overused, to the point it means nothing at all. I love New York; I love pizza; I love coffee; I love my sports team; I love bagels. It's no longer genuine. To say it now feels fake. Like a betrayal of the self.

I think a person who is on the 'spectrum' who genuinely feels love, will have no difficulty saying it.

It's just all those other times.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 3:47 am

I have been so traumatised that I wouldn't belieive anyone who says I love you, except my mom if I physically talk to her. I haven't had anyone pause and say I love you in several years. I've forgotten what it feels like as I'm emotionally deprived.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 3:48 am

Harry Haller wrote:
Have not known personally many of the 'spectrum,' but those few I have had the honor of knowing well have been each and every one intensely honest, genuine humans.

Much of the world is play-acting.
Autists are genuine beings locked in a world of pretending. (Or so it seems to me in this limited experience)

Consider the world "love."
It has become so saccharinized -- so overused, to the point it means nothing at all. I love New York; I love pizza; I love coffee; I love my sports team; I love bagels. It's no longer genuine. To say it now feels fake. Like a betrayal of the self.

I think a person who is on the 'spectrum' who genuinely feels love, will have no difficulty saying it.

It's just all those other times.

So very true.

differentpage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jul 2021, 5:36 pm

I have trouble with it too.

I think it's the honesty that's so strong in us. That's one of the reasons I think I'm ASD although I haven't been diagnosed. Lying just seems horrible to me and it feels like I'd have to force myself to do it and maybe I couldn't. I'd rather go pick up something disgusting with my bare hands. So I have to feel really close to someone to be able to say that I love them.
I also have trouble smiling for a camera if I'm not particularly happy. Fakery again, to me.

With the last boyfriend I had, I said I loved him a lot, but when I started to lose that feeling for him, I couldn't say it any more. That was about 15 years ago, and like the original poster, I haven't missed having those relationships.

Danusaurus, I am so sorry about your pain. I've had some pretty violent kicks in the stomach from people too and I know something of what you've gone through.