Gas prices as a political talking point in the USA

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 11:17 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Gas averages about $4.30 a gallon in California. We’re averaging about $3.15 in the US.

BC averages about C$1.60 per litre. Canada as a whole, around C$1.35.

All this is “regular” gas.

Canada’s gas is always more expensive than in the US.

Goldfish is paying a very high price. Probably premium gas.

Even regular 87 octane is 1.69 locally.

Yes, premium - like I said, 94 octane. Afaik, most motorcycles are designed to take premium fuel. Because of the price difference between 87 and 94, it costs Almost as much for gas in my motorcycle as my car. *shrug* Oh well - is what it is. VRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!! 8)

That's nuts. I think it was about $1.32 last time I filled up.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 11:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But I agree. Blaming Trump, or Biden, for high gas prices is kinda like a governor of California taking credit for having fewer earthquakes than his predecessor. :lol:

Especially considering Alaska is the state with the most earthquakes.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 11:48 pm

People used to complain about OPEC and gas prices, there was a naughty political cartoon where a sheik is flashing the US consumer and instead of a wanky he has a gas nozzle.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 3:11 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So Canadians are paying about seven-fifty a gallon for gas?!?!?!?!?!

So what do we Americans (even Californians) have to complain about? :lol:

That’s what I said above, yes. $7.53cdn for a US gallon of 94 octane (premium).

It’s $6.39cdn for a US gallon of regular. (87)

And that was also what I said. :lol: Seems ridiculous to hear Americans complaining about half price gas. :P

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 3:15 am

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Gas averages about $4.30 a gallon in California. We’re averaging about $3.15 in the US.

BC averages about C$1.60 per litre. Canada as a whole, around C$1.35.

All this is “regular” gas.

Canada’s gas is always more expensive than in the US.

Goldfish is paying a very high price. Probably premium gas.

Even regular 87 octane is 1.69 locally.

Yes, premium - like I said, 94 octane. Afaik, most motorcycles are designed to take premium fuel. Because of the price difference between 87 and 94, it costs Almost as much for gas in my motorcycle as my car. *shrug* Oh well - is what it is. VRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!! 8)

That's nuts. I think it was about $1.32 last time I filled up.

It’s weird that $1.32 would be cheap. 21 years ago Aarco opened a couple stations here and started a price war. For a few days, regular 87 was down to 29.9/L. I’m paying 198.9 for the good stuff rn.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 5:09 pm

C$7.53 is about US$6.05. Still expensive!

There's never been a time, even when the US and Canadian Dollar had parity, when Canadians have paid less for gas than the US.

Not even when we paid $4.50 a gallon in NYC in 2008, and over $4.00 a gallon in 2011-2012.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 7:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
C$7.53 is about US$6.05. Still expensive!

There's never been a time, even when the US and Canadian Dollar had parity, when Canadians have paid less for gas than the US.

Not even when we paid $4.50 a gallon in NYC in 2008, and over $4.00 a gallon in 2011-2012.

Yeah, it's not cheap.. but wtf else are you going to do except pay? :?

We have horribly inadequate public transportation here. I drive/ride because it takes 40minutes to drive vs. 3-4 hours to take public transit. Public transit is only really a viable option downtown and in the very near suburbs, not out where I live. There are plenty of areas downtown where many people don't own cars, but in my neighbourhood everyone with a drivers licence has a car unless they Cannot afford it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 9:17 pm

There was a time in the UK where a gallon of gas cost over $10.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 9:23 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
There's nuts here who try to blame gas prices on Trudeau too. It's especially sad when they don't drive, have nothing informing their arguments and really just want another excuse for hating the bobblehead.

Lack of supply meet abundance of demand.

Last edited by zacb on 13 Jul 2021, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 9:36 pm

It is partially Trump's fault and partially Biden's fault. Too much money meeting too few goods means inflation in prices which both engaged in. So artificial demand (stimulus) + natural consumer demand=disaster.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 1:30 am

I wonder how high the prices will go.I think a lot of it is simple supply and demand.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 15 Jul 2021, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 1:33 am

Eliminating the tax incentives for the domestic oil and gas industry will really hurt the supply situation and possibly make prices go way up.Drilling for oil in the US will be shut down with no tax breaks.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 10:11 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Eliminating the tax incentives for the domestic oil and gas industry will really hurt the supply situation and possibly make prices go way up.Drilling for oil in the US will be shut down with no tax breaks.

Then they don't have a viable business model.

Why should taxpayers pay for Big Oil's Billions in profit? Same crap happens here in Canada. Oil companies make 10's of Billions of dollars in profits and yet we give them Billions in tax breaks for no good reason. So stupid.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 11:22 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Why should taxpayers pay for Big Oil's Billions in profit? Same crap happens here in Canada. Oil companies make 10's of Billions of dollars in profits and yet we give them Billions in tax breaks for no good reason. So stupid.

Why should there be taxes to begin with?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 1:45 am

zacb wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I believe taxes are essential for governments to function

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 11:19 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
zacb wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I believe taxes are essential for governments to function

Yeah, this.

Roads, schools, hospitals/healthcare, police/fire/ambulance, airports, other infrastructure and government services. Etc.

Sure, there’s corruption and waste, But, we do rely on commonly provided government services for modern day society to function.