Charlottesville Confederate statues and another are removed

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 1:50 am

Charlottesville Removes Robert E. Lee Statue That Sparked A Deadly Rally

Quote:
The city of Charlottesville, Va., removed a statue of Confederate Generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson on Saturday, toppling symbols that were at the center of the deadly Unite the Right rally in 2017.

The statues will remain on city property until the city council decides what to do with them. Ten groups have expressed interest in the statues, according to a statement from the city.

The removals were set in motion by a 2016 petition started by a local high school student. The city council voted to take the statues down early the next year, but that action was delayed by a legal challenge that was ultimately rejected by the Virginia Supreme Court this April.

Charlottesville's statues of Lee and Jackson were erected in the early 1920s with large ceremonies that included Confederate veteran reunions, parades and balls. At one event during the 1921 unveiling of the Jackson statue, children formed a living Confederate flag on the lawn of a school down the road from Vinegar Hill, a prominent Black neighborhood. The Jackson statue was placed on land that had once been another prosperous Black neighborhood.

Charlottesville Removes Statue Of Lewis, Clark And Sacagawea After Taking Down Contentious Confederate Monuments
Quote:
Workers removed a statue depicting the 19th century explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark towering over their Native American interpreter Sacagawea from a public park in Charlottesville, Va., on Saturday afternoon, hours after the city dismantled two Confederate statues that fueled a violent white nationalist rally in 2017.

Charlottesville’s City Council voted unanimously to remove the statue of Lewis, Clark and Sacagawea in a special meeting Saturday, city spokesperson Brian Wheeler confirmed to Forbes.

City councilors in Charlottesville expressed their intention to take down the century-old Lewis, Clark and Sacagawea statue in 2019. The sculpture shows Sacagawea — who was key to Lewis and Clark’s expedition through the American West — crouching timidly at the two Virginia explorers’ feet, an image many Native American groups found offensive.

Of note, these statues were removed not in the middle of the night but on a Saturday. There were no confederate protesters, none.

The City council voted unanimously to remove the explorers' statues without any apparent fear of electoral consequences.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 8:38 am

I’m glad.People were cheering, not a protester in sight.
Place them in a museum and tell the whole unsavory history so people never forget.