Does away from motivation make you shutdown?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2021, 3:44 am

It does to me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 4:45 am

If I actually could get some motivation up...

I bet being suddenly taken out of that would bother me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 4:38 pm

What is "away from motivation" ? Do you mean lack of motivation?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 5:01 pm

Loss of motivation only made me more confused, directionless and without to focus with.

It only looked like a shutdown.
The main difference is that shutdowns cannot be overcome by sheer willpower.

Loss of motivation only made me seem distracted or 'untrained' unless prompted.
Shutdowns, no matter the prompt or motivation, is still a shutdown.

Even if I'd still do it, just largely suck at it. Demotivation just happen fast because of it.

Because of the limitations due to shutting down, and the fact doing it while at it would be very draining without anything new but further frustration and loss of control.

Like burnouts, willpower can't go around it -- it'll still be frustrating and limiting, like burnouts will be still painful and exhausting.

Regardless, patience is usually the solution for either.

Lack of motivation meant a form of endurance and tolerance.
Shutdowns meant around self-awareness and self-care.

In both?? Shutdown precedes.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 5:10 pm

I think the question is about having a period without any major responsibilities. With nothing to focus on, many of us may become withdrawn and depressed thinking about our lot in life. "Too much time on our hands."

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 5:43 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
I think the question is about having a period without any major responsibilities. With nothing to focus on, many of us may become withdrawn and depressed thinking about our lot in life. "Too much time on our hands."

Ah, right.

Doesn't happen to me a lot these days. I've usually been able to find something to do. My life seems to be a continuing cycle of noticing things that make me uncomfortable, figuring out strategies for reducing them, trying the strategies out, and refining them based on how efffective they turn out to be. That and just taking in what people are saying (mostly reading, on the Web), getting curious about something in there, and finding out more about it. Rarely, I might not notice any discomforts that I can see any feasible way of fixing and I might not happen to read anything that interests me enough to look further into. Times like that don't make me shut down, they just make me restless frustrated and annoyed.

In theory I should always be able to find something to do, because I must have a backlog of hundreds of things I mean to do one day, but sometimes they just don't seem very attractive and I can't be bothered to start - sometimes there's a sticking point because the thought of the task bores me or there's some fear that I'll make a mess of it, and I'm not always in the mood to think very energetically about what that fear is or how to proceed - I get kind of apathetic. But those times are rare and they usually pass by on their own without any need for me to do much but wait for the "weather" to improve. I don't really brood or get depressed. I can feel rather flat sometimes, but my ability to jump back into some semblance of activity is never far away. My goals aren't very far-reaching and I suppose I feel rather powerless to do anything stunningly great (though I still feel there's hope for my music in that respect), but have a lot of confidence in my ability to solve small problems. So I guess I set myself mediocre targets and achieve them, and I'm not unhappy that way, I don't worry myself about not being a world leader or winning the Olympic games.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 5:50 pm

What actually is ''shutdown''?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 8:42 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Imagine meltdowns...
Except not violent, not behaviorally rowdy and mostly internal.

Same loss of communication, same loss of skills, same dysregulation and overwhelm...

Only that it looked like more of becoming withdrawn, confused, quiet sobbing or being limp and tired.
Sometimes still having the ability to blend with it because it doesn't draw much attention.

Instead of reactively defensive, screaming, being aggressive, running, overly stimming or just unable to blend under stress in general that is seen in meltdowns.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 5:07 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Imagine meltdowns...
Except not violent, not behaviorally rowdy and mostly internal.

Same loss of communication, same loss of skills, same dysregulation and overwhelm...

Only that it looked like more of becoming withdrawn, confused, quiet sobbing or being limp and tired.
Sometimes still having the ability to blend with it because it doesn't draw much attention.

Instead of reactively defensive, screaming, being aggressive, running, overly stimming or just unable to blend under stress in general that is seen in meltdowns.

It sounds like an attack of depression.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2021, 11:38 am

Actual I was talking about away from and toward being motivated?

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2021, 5:39 am

Does away from motivation make you shutdown?

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2021, 8:54 am

It depends.

QuietThoughts
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2021, 10:05 am

What spurs on motivation?

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2021, 11:30 am

…and shutdowns.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 5:49 am

I’m not very motivated. I shut down sometimes.

Sometimes, a certain amount of motivation prevents me from shutting down.