Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2021, 3:55 am

Autism even high functioning is ,different from what most people think autism is, they belong in different categories?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 4:25 am

Well how exactly would you separate Aspergers from autism?

I mean for me I feel they are kind of interchangable...Is it autism or aspergers, but well its autism which aspergers is a form of that so at the end of the day...I have autism either get over it or deal with it and also I will do my best to deal with non autistic people.

I mean for every autist annoying to regular people, there are probably 5 normal people which we hate the way they talk and find them annoying. I mean I am never going to go outside and meet those people I have thoughts like that about and someties it feels good to think like 'oh look at that loser s**thead' I guess just saying autism does not mean you are just soley nice at heart..maybe a ton of us just don't actually say what we think in our outside voice.

Plasma Mouse
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jul 2021, 6:09 am

Its my opinion based on people I've meat and what I know about it that they are two completely different things, just with similar manifestations.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2021, 6:40 am

Under DSM5 I have HFA; under ICD10, Asperger's. Go figure.

These diagnostic codebooks are formulated by a bunch of folks sitting around a conference table; and they need to feel useful. So they do random things and give themselves trophies.
They're like someone playing with a block of cheese, cutting it up and rearranging the pieces, thinking they've created gold.
Hey Einstein, news flash: it's still just cheese.
So yeah, they'll put all the pieces together; next time they'll separate the pieces; next time cut it up into even more pieces; next time merge it with yet another block of cheese. And give themselves trophies.

Who cares what they think.
I know what I think.

Last edited by Harry Haller on 11 Jul 2021, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 6:53 am

Harry,

I am not sure the people sitting around the table have as their primary motive wanting to be useful. There may be elements of ego and a desire to control others that factor in. However, one cannot rule out the financial aspect. A broader category that sounds more threatening would certainly be useful in selling their "services".

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2021, 7:03 am

timf wrote:
Harry,

I am not sure the people sitting around the table have as their primary motive wanting to be useful. There may be elements of ego and a desire to control others that factor in. However, one cannot rule out the financial aspect. A broader category that sounds more threatening would certainly be useful in selling their "services".

Good point.

Demonique
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2021, 9:51 am

Aspergers is a type of autism though

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 10:18 am

I have Asperger's but I identify as non-autistic. I don't like being lumped in with autism. Autism means selfism, and I'm far from selfish.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2021, 10:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well how exactly would you separate Aspergers from autism?

I mean for me I feel they are kind of interchangable...Is it autism or aspergers, but well its autism which aspergers is a form of that so at the end of the day...I have autism either get over it or deal with it and also I will do my best to deal with non autistic people.

I mean for every autist annoying to regular people, there are probably 5 normal people which we hate the way they talk and find them annoying. I mean I am never going to go outside and meet those people I have thoughts like that about and someties it feels good to think like 'oh look at that loser s**thead' I guess just saying autism does not mean you are just soley nice at heart..maybe a ton of us just don't actually say what we think in our outside voice.

They managed to separate it before.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2021, 10:46 am

Demonique wrote:
Aspergers is a type of autism though

White is a type of black you and just call them colours?

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 11:06 am

Analogy: A 5% burn and a 80% are very different experiences, but both are burns. Where's the line between mild and severe? Depends on degree of burn on which body parts, etc. There's no easily defined line, especially when one considers external support systems. By outward appearances I have Aspergers, "mild" on the Autism Spectrum. That said I relate very strongly to folks who are a higher degree of Autistic outwardly (e.g. non verbal, physical tics). My evaluator agreed that in part I am moderately Autistic; however, b/c I have physical control (I can talk and generally control my movements), I am not the "standard" Autist. I firmly believe that what's going on in my head is similar to those with the physical impairments.

Joe, I was told an Autistic 5-year old was in "his own world". When I spent time with him, I found him to be social and interactive: he was very attentive, constantly checking back to interact, and playful. I conclude that his caretakers didn't know how to relate to him. I don't find that Autism is selfism or selfish more so than NT (in fact, in many ways Autistic people seem less selfish to me) --- it's a different type of self. So this outwardly "selfish" child (to others) was very much willing (wanting?) to relate... he simply did so in spurts and with sideways glances, which suited me just fine. I wish I'd had more time to see what he could share. We had so much fun. This "selfish" Autistic child was far less selfish than most kids IMHO.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 11:40 am

I'm me

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 1:31 pm

I was diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder, at the time I was diagnosed no differentiation between 'strains' of autism was being formally recognized despite the fact that earlier attempts were made to split autism into multiple, more narrowly defined conditions.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2021, 11:49 am

domineekee wrote:
I'm me

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 1:42 pm

Technic1 wrote:
They managed to separate it before.

With great difficulty, at least when diagnosing adults.

The former distinction between autism and Aspergers made sense for young children only. The main difference was the age at which one learns to talk (if one is able to talk at all). This meant that if you were getting diagnosed as an adult, or even as an older child, the evaluator had to know exactly how old you were when you learned to talk -- and it was often difficult to determine this in a reliable way.

So it was eventually decided that it made more sense to classify autism severity levels based on current functioning only, rather than on one's past history, and to treat any language/speech difficulties as a separate dimension from autism severity per se.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 2:49 pm

On the ADOS part of my assessment I was at classical autism level for social communication ,and at Asperger's level for social interaction. That resulted in an Asperger's dx. I wonder how much that differentiates me from someone who is regarded as being at Asperger's for both social communication and social interaction.