Would anyone like to give feedback on this NHS web resource?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 5:00 am

Greetings.

Here in the UK NHS in Cornwall there is an online resource aimed at providing information to families on who to talk to regarding seeking diagnostic and other support for their children.

When I was invited to the committee that oversees this I was shocked to find that I was the first autistic person who had been involved. I got them to agree to me seeking the views of other autistic people, locally on the accessibility and language used on the site. I am due to present feedback tomorrow.

If any of you have a few minutes to look at it and PM me some brief feedback I would be grateful. Here is the link:
https://www.supportincornwall.org.uk/kb ... wheel.page

Also - one thing I noted is that the site is all about dysfunction, disorder and disability and I couldn't see any positive statements from autistic people. They agreed to include some. So if anyone would like to provide a brief paragraph on what their autism means to them that would be great. Please PM me. Here are some questions that might help frame this:

> What is your role in life / job
> When was your autism identified
> What impact did this have on you then and now
> What would you tell your younger self
> What are the positives about being autistic
> Do you face any barriers and if so how do you support yourself or have others support you
> Do you have any comments or advice that might be helpful to young people and their families

Just to be clear the above is not linked to any commercial enterprise or academic study - it related solely to a service provided by the UK national health service.

Thanking you in advance! :)

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 2:12 am

not sure you still want feedback, but I find the site poorly organized

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 2:21 am

Yes, feedback most welcome. If you have the time to be more specific then do please PM me.

Feedback so far has focused on the language used (as its very medical model) and the layout (which is what you are referring to).

Many thanks
Ian

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 4:23 am

Just another small thing. A "Popup" keeps coming up asking me for feedback even before I have spent time looking at the site. It says "Yes" or "No thanks" to see if you want to provide feedback. Now one can't say "Yes" until one has first explored the site and each page one goes to, the annoying notice comes up tempting one to put "No thanks" just to get rid of it.
If the popup was made with a "Later" option where by when one clicked "Later" the popup will go small at the bottom of the screen so that later one can bring the feedback box back, so one can fill it in, one would get more honest feedback. As it is most people like me would click "No thanks" just to be aboe to see the site... And I have only just started to look at the site and it came up! (I will always explore the site before answering questions).
Also in the contact details, not everyone has an email address so let them be aware of this so that one can borrow someones computer and fill in the form without the need to provide an email address. (Many times in the past before I came on the internet, I was not entitled to many things simply because I was not able to fill out the forms due to the systems not being able to proceed to the next page unless I had every bit of relevent information OR if my reply would not fit a "Yes" or a "No" answer (This was the main reason. As my circumstances were not able to say "Yes" or "No" and yet there was no provision to explain so I could not proceed with their forms. I had to get help from a family friend who works for a charity (Mind) just so I could claim benefits as no way could I fill their forms out by myself and I am normally ok with forms. A paper form has the ability to write extra notes to explain if one can't answer a yes or no question, hence why I hate doing online forms).

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 5:17 am

Many thanks MG - I will add this to the feedback!