Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2021, 1:40 pm

I have tried to have friendships in the past. However most of my friends have been toxic. They would get mad at me for stuff I couldn't help. Now I just do not know how to make friends. Im never sure if I should disclose that I am Autistic and Schizophrenic. It seems to scare people off.

I also am not allowed to be alone that much so friendships and dating have been hard. My parents worry about me a lot and some of my old friends didn't like that. I do not like it much to be honest. Now my parents won't let me be friends with anyone unless they meet them.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 7:39 pm

How old are you?

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2021, 10:32 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
How old are you?

Im 20

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 9:29 pm

Crystal1414 wrote:
Im 20

What is your general situation like, if you feel comfortable telling us about it?

For example, are you in school? Do you have a job? Do you have any hobbies, and, if so, what are they?

Also, what are your general personal strengths and weaknesses?

Have you ever attended a support group for adults on the autism spectrum, or a support group for people with schizophrenia? Would your parents be willing to allow you to attend such a support group?

Your answers to these questions may help us brainstorm ways that you can find friends. Feel free to answer only those questions you feel comfortable answering.

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2021, 7:39 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Crystal1414 wrote:
Im 20

What is your general situation like, if you feel comfortable telling us about it?

For example, are you in school? Do you have a job? Do you have any hobbies, and, if so, what are they?

Also, what are your general personal strengths and weaknesses?

Have you ever attended a support group for adults on the autism spectrum, or a support group for people with schizophrenia? Would your parents be willing to allow you to attend such a support group?

Your answers to these questions may help us brainstorm ways that you can find friends. Feel free to answer only those questions you feel comfortable answering.

Im not in school currently. I miss high school a bit though. I do not have a job currently. I like to write and read. I also like to go for walks. I am creative and I am good at writing sometimes. I struggle to communicate and socialize. I tend to not talk that often because I mix up my words.

I have attended a support group for adults on the autism spectrum twice. It was good but a bit overwhelming to be honest. I went to art therapy which was cool. I painted a picture of the sunset. Then I went to an independent game night. It was a bit overwhelming because there was a lot of talking. Honestly when I went there I needed more support than the other people there. I have never went to a support group for people with schizophrenia. There is a place where I live that helps adults with mental illness to be more independent though and it used to do social outings. For some reason my parents didn't really want me to go there. They prefer for me to go out with a support worker. I feel like that isolates me more though because people tend to not talk to me.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 12:35 pm

Crystal1414 wrote:
Im not in school currently. I miss high school a bit though. I do not have a job currently. I like to write and read. I also like to go for walks. I am creative and I am good at writing sometimes.

Are there any specific creative skills you think you could become very good at with sufficient practice?

Crystal1414 wrote:
I struggle to communicate and socialize. I tend to not talk that often because I mix up my words.

I have attended a support group for adults on the autism spectrum twice. It was good but a bit overwhelming to be honest. I went to art therapy which was cool. I painted a picture of the sunset. Then I went to an independent game night. It was a bit overwhelming because there was a lot of talking. Honestly when I went there I needed more support than the other people there. I have never went to a support group for people with schizophrenia. There is a place where I live that helps adults with mental illness to be more independent though and it used to do social outings. For some reason my parents didn't really want me to go there. They prefer for me to go out with a support worker. I feel like that isolates me more though because people tend to not talk to me.

It sounds like you need to attend highly structured activities rather than social events where there is a lot of talking. Is that correct?

Also, it sounds like you need to get to know people by some means other than just attending social events.

Perhaps your best bet might be to try to meet people who live in your local area and who also post on Wrong Planet or similar forums (listed yere)? To that end, I would suggest that you edit your profile, here on WP, to include your general location, so that people who live within reasonable traveling distance can get to know you via private message as well as public forum discussion, and then eventually meet in person. Do NOT be specific enough about your location to endanger your privacy, but I would suggest that you include your province and/or nearest major metropolitan area, as well as your country (Canada).