Seems like the classically autistic members stopped posting

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 9:32 am

Classic autism is, basically, autism as conceived by Leo Kanner.

Until 1994, it was the “only” autism.

I am, actually, classically autistic. I had a severe speech delay and other “autistic” behaviors.

I have either the 5th or 6th most posts in WP history. Classically autistic people aren’t going away!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 9:50 am

I've never heard of Leo Kanner (but I've never read about any of the big names in Autism).

I was diagnosed Moderate Autism, and the doctor said even on the old system I wouldn't be considered Asperger's.

I don't know if that makes me classic.

Is there a difference between Classic vs. Non-Asperger's / Non-HFA today?

Did the Autism criteria change from then to now, beyond the fact they include people with Asperger's diagnoses under the ASD umbrella now?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:06 am

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
I'm a foodie

and obsessed with nutrition and health

next week we are hunter gathering around lidl...I'm excited imexcited im excited

I'm into all things paleo.

god bless any man whom wants to be with me and god help them too...lol

so far no interest...hmmmm

I wonder why

*ahem*

cave nookie....

what I'm a primate ;D

I'd be down for fire-roasted squirrel with wish sauce.
Wish sauce?
It's a little dry, I wish I had some sauce. 8)

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Classic autism is, basically, autism as conceived by Leo Kanner.

Until 1994, it was the “only” autism.

Actually, "pervasive developmental disorder - not otherwise specified" (PDD-NOS) was added to the revised version of the DSM III in 1987, according to The evolution of ‘autism’ as a diagnosis, explained by Lina Zeldovich, Spectrum News, 9 May 2018.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:32 am

Thanks. That’s true.

For all intents and purposes, even in the 1980s, people like Rain Man, with or without savant abilities and with somewhat functional speech, yet with rather severe deficits in social functioning, were considered “high-functioning.”

The ability to speak and the ability to fully take care of ADL needs is what set the “high-functioning” apart from the “low-functioning.” There was little conception of a “spectrum.”

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 13 Jul 2021, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:36 am

Many people still believe autism is only severe classic autism.

Aspergers people tend to be considered nerdy, dorky, overly logical, lacking social emotions—but wouldn’t be considered “autistic” by even some psychologists.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:43 am

carlos55 wrote:
Twitter is a cesspit of bullying and extremist attention seeking views so avoid it.

This is built in and prob because comment Tweets have to fit into a severely limited size so those who make them often do without normal politeness referring to relevant grey areas to post something direct, attention seeking and provocative.

At WP there are Moderators that ban personal insults which are the last resort for those who loose the argument.

Because of this debates and views stand up on evidence and merit no one gets the get out clause of ****off you don’t know what your talking about, but has to give why their view is better.

There are a lot of 'I'm the most autistic person you're ever likely to meet' types on Twitter, who also are quick to mention how successful they are. The vast majority I can't identify with.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:53 am

I know “classic” autism well because a good friend from childhood’s brother had it; and I was in a class with classically autistic children in nursery school and Kindergarten.

My parents were in the Queens chapter of the New York Association for Brain-Injured Children. Autistic children were considered “brain-injured” until about the late 70s or so. I was diagnosed with autism and brain injury.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:53 am

Joe90 wrote:
starkid wrote:
The active WP membership seems to have shifted.
The forum has become inactive lately, period.

Except for PPR, as people seem to gain some sort of thrill and excitement out of arguing about Donald Trump.
↑ This, quoted for truth.  Right from the beginning of the "Trump! Trump! Trump!" era, I noticed a steady decline in the number of active members, and even the new members from that era seem to have faded away.

Except for the pro-Trump people who do not seem to realize that
 the Confederacy  Trump has lost.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 11:05 am

I've noticed the steady decline as I've made my intermittent trips to this site from as far back as 2005.

I do agree that the discourse has shifted to social networking sites, but seldom take part in them. I deactivated my Facebook a while ago, and primarily have a private Twitter account for networking in my line of work, and I keep in touch with close, personal friends via texts/WhatsApp. I'm aware Facebook owns WhatsApp, but found that site to be too overwhelming, trite and repetitive even by my standards!

I come here to rant, or share personal life experiences. If anybody responds, it's a bonus, if not, well, I consider it therapeutic. Self-servicing yes, but I rarely have anywhere else to talk about the issues that I have. I don't have many hobbies at the moment either, but that should hopefully change.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 11:37 am

I know at least 6 types of 'classic autistics', first 4 barely being differentiated from one another by onlookers:

They usually cannot pass and are in support level 2 or above in any point.

One is the official kind -- autism with actual intellectual disability, who actually needs 24/7 care, with little to no verbal abilities to speak of.
Probability posting; low.
Their parents or caretakers are likely the posters instead.
If they do post, I'd assume their posts will be very out of place.

The super rigid kind -- autism with a lot of learning disabilities and psychiatric comorbidities.
The super deep but narrow kind. Likely with severe echolalia and/or ADHD.
Still has more verbal ability than the average, may likely be argumentative or with a lot of inquiry related to their topic of interest.
Probability posting; mid.
Their posts would likely consists of same topics, their replies are likely short or super detailed.

Then the unpassable kinds -- autism with most likely severe dyspraxia or NVLD but otherwise stuck in their body, or cannot rely beyond written words.
Super articulate, journalistic writing, good at arguments, etc...
Probability posting; high.
Their posts are usually either too advanced to be understood or too attractive. Online, they can pass -- in real life, they're disabled.

And, the nonverbal kind -- autism with little to no communicative speech, but that's just all.
Doesn't matter if their intelligent, can write and read or actually more reliably functioning than an average aspie.
Possibly with aphasia as opposed to apraxia mentioned above.
All it matters is that they functionally mute and that's the sole trait that divides them.
Probability posting; mid, just not around here. :lol:
Their posts are likely short or uses words rather differently.

The 5th would be the formerly classic kind -- classic autism at youth, aspergian like in later life.
Defined more around developmental delays as opposed to developmental disabilities.
May or may not pass. May or may not be articulate. May or may not be argumentative. May or may not also have traits mentioned above.
Probability posting; mid.

Then the last type is practically the reverse of the previous mentioned type -- the fluctuated kind.
For any reason why, they're at any point went from support level 0-1 to level 2-3 in long terms.
Likely very experienced people and is functioning at any point of their past lives.
Only to be caught up with illness, chronic stress, constant trauma, injury... Some may recover, some may not.
They may or may not go through any of the other types above.
Probability posting; high.

I notice which is which. I read a lot other people's posts. I just don't reply or express what I know. ​:twisted: I just come here to kill time.
I don't pay attention whether or not the forum is active. Been out around a week or so.

But if you mean by 'classic autistic poster', you mean the expressively rigid type who asks specific yet similar questions numerous times a week -- yeah, I notice.

Lose more time here.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 11:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know “classic” autism well because a good friend from childhood’s brother had it; and I was in a class with classically autistic children in nursery school and Kindergarten.

My parents were in the Queens chapter of the New York Association for Brain-Injured Children. Autistic children were considered “brain-injured” until about the late 70s or so. I was diagnosed with autism and brain injury.

Well, I'm definitely brain injured - at least in my adult years. I've had two strokes which are acquired brain injuries.

I'm just a ball of fun and games neurologically.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 11:45 am

I’m Edna’s 5th type.

I’m slightly “disabled” in some aspects, though.

I’m able to function—but really only when I’m in my “comfort zone.”

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 5:23 pm

If somebody is "quite autistic," they probably wouldn't be able to mock people like this person mocked you.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 3:21 am

Joe90 wrote:
But most people on WP complain about Facebook and Instagram and other popular social media sites, so I'd have thought autism forums would still be more popular or useful among the autistic community.

I guess not =(
But don't forget that autistic people are not all the same. I have plenty of friends who I suspect (or know) are on the spectrum, and they have probably never even heard of this forum.

Mona Pereth wrote:
I just go to the main page, then go to whichever sub-forum I'm in the mood for, and then look at the most recently-updated threads in that sub-forum.

I used to do that, but these days, some of those sub-forums can go months without any activity.

Jonfon
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jul 2021, 3:51 am

I am probably Edna's 6th type of autistic and am really looking to join a community that works together to improve our lives. It's a shame if this site is in decline. I don't think the world is in any rush to help us, we need to work together to help ourselves.