How could any American ever vote republican again?

Page 14 of 15 [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:23 pm

Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Canada's path toward reconciliation for crimes against Indigenous and First Nations people, should be taken as seriously as the BLM movement in America. Mary Simon will lead that journey.

I've only seen the topic of systemic Canadian genocide mentioned in passing, with no comprehensive or comparative discussion.

some of that lack of discussion might be like what i am thinking of, namely a desire not to discuss another country's problems as that is not my place.

We need to address what our nation did to its indigenous people. We are just as guilty. The sad thing is this is still happening around the globe. The Uyghur Muslims are being stripped of their culture and language right now in China while the world just stands by.

it is only gov'ts and nation-states that have the wherewithal to force the various international misbehaving gov'ts to do right by their native peoples. my fear is that there one day will be an international strongman who finally does bang together all the heads of the various nations who are abusing their aboriginal peoples, but he will come with much worse things along for the ride.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Canada's path toward reconciliation for crimes against Indigenous and First Nations people, should be taken as seriously as the BLM movement in America. Mary Simon will lead that journey.

I've only seen the topic of systemic Canadian genocide mentioned in passing, with no comprehensive or comparative discussion.

some of that lack of discussion might be like what i am thinking of, namely a desire not to discuss another country's problems as that is not my place.

We need to address what our nation did to its indigenous people. We are just as guilty. The sad thing is this is still happening around the globe. The Uyghur Muslims are being stripped of their culture and language right now in China while the world just stands by.

it is only gov'ts and nation-states that have the wherewithal to force the various international misbehaving gov'ts to do right by their native peoples. my fear is that there one day will be an international strongman who finally does bang together all the heads of the various nations who are abusing their aboriginal peoples, but he will come with much worse things along for the ride.

Yes, it’s why Galadriel turned down the ring.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:30 pm

And Tibet. :cry: The Lama I’ve studied with had to wear civilian clothes when he goes back to see family.
His brother was beaten so badly by the Chinese police he died later from his injuries.
And no one knows what became of the Panchen Lama.He was just a child.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchen_Lama

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:31 pm

but one day there will come a man that does not "turn down the ring."

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Woe to those alive when he or she ascends to power.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:35 pm

Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

chances are, that man is alive today. i wanna be elsewhere when he feels his oats.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

chances are, that man is alive today. i wanna be elsewhere when he feels his oats.

Me too ,but what if we are reborn back here? Ugh.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:42 pm

Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Me too ,but what if we are reborn back here? Ugh.

we can time when we are reborn to avoid that mess. :)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:43 pm

Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

We need to address what our nation did to its indigenous people.We are just as guilty.
The sad thing is this is still happening around the globe.The Uyghur Muslims are being stripped of their culture and language right now in China while the world just stands by.

Canada's residential schools have only been closed for 25 years. There are still missing and murdered people, and coverups from the federal government.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

We need to address what our nation did to its indigenous people.We are just as guilty.
The sad thing is this is still happening around the globe.The Uyghur Muslims are being stripped of their culture and language right now in China while the world just stands by.

Canada's residential schools have only been closed for 25 years. There are still missing and murdered people, and coverups from the federal government.

Yes, it’s awful.I’m sure it’s as bad here.
Our last one closed 1984

https://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/do ... chools.pdf

A good source.
https://boardingschoolhealing.org/

Sorry posted wrong link earlier

Last edited by Misslizard on 30 Jul 2021, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:51 pm

i hope sooner than the fullness of time, that there will be a mutually satisfactory resolution.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:55 pm

Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Our last one closed in 1996.
https://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc. ... ol_system/
A good source.

Thank you ML. My boyfriend is from Vancouver, and he's there now. This issue is really close to our hearts.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 10:05 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

A good source.

Thank you ML. My boyfriend is from Vancouver, and he's there now. This issue is really close to our hearts.

You’re most welcome.
Where I live was the first Cherokee reservation but they got pushed off.Some assimilated with the settlers.The Trail of Tears comes through this county.Very sad story.
Many people here have trace amounts of Native blood and are very proud of it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 10:10 pm

Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

A good source.

You’re most welcome.
Where I live was the first Cherokee reservation but they got pushed off.Some assimilated with the settlers.The Trail of Tears comes through this county.Very sad story.

That's very sad. Were some of them murdered?

Do you know the story of the lost colony at Roanoke?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 10:15 pm

Yep. From about 1587. One of the first attempts by England to establish a colony in the New World.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 10:17 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

A good source.

You’re most welcome.

That's very sad. Were some of them murdered?

Do you know the story of the lost colony at Roanoke?

Yes, they were murdered in their homes and then driven west.Many died of disease, starvation and exposure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.histor ... l-of-tears

It’s why we need to get Andrew Jackson off the twenty dollar bill and get Harriet Tubman on it.He was an insane mass murderer.
The Roanoke story is fascinating.A good mystery.