Do men dismiss feminism as bad too much?

Page 1 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 9:54 am

I feel like they do, in conversations I have with guy friends, and maybe there are some bad things about it, but I think that feminism has gotten a bad name lately. 10 years ago, it was a much more positive word with guys compared to today it seems.

But feminism has made women sexy and attractive, in the way they dress and carry themselves, and women are willing to do be really good in bed, which they were probably not willing to do before the rise of feminism. Women before the rise, just seem demure, reserved, kind of prudish, and much more boring and dull as a result.

Feminism just seems to have made women hotter and sexier, at least to an extent, that I think should be acknowledged before dismissing it as bad so often in conversation. What do you think out of curiosity?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 10:03 am

It depends on how people in general define "Feminism", and how men specifically define "Manhood".

As far as I am concerned, defining a woman's worth by her relationship to a man is simply wrong.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 3:10 pm

I dismiss Feminism and other men might as well but, I dismiss it because the cause has swayed from what I personally think it was originally suppose to be.

When I think of Feminisim I think of women that acknowledge that they are women and that they are different from men. Despite that they are still recognized by society as people and can still wear feminine clothes, do "girly" things, and be stay-at-home moms and do other things that are classified as "feminine" while still be taken seriously by the general populace.

Modern Feminism seems to take on the idea that everybody is equal regardless of gender and that either gender can do whatever they want regardless of the innate biological differences. Thing is, biologically men and women ARE different and in general men and women have different values, goals in life, likes and dislikes, and many other innate biological things that just makes men and women different and while you have those select few who defy these innate biological differences, most people do not.

That's my reason for dismissing Feminism.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 3:52 pm

The root of feminism seems to be firmly grounded in a woman's inalienable right to say "No".

"No, I do not want to fetch your drinks, cook your meals, or keep your house clean."

"No, I do not have to settle for minimum wage."

"No, I do not want to have sex with you."

"No, I do not want to get pregnant.

This somehow threatens men who believe that women were created to be their personal servants and sex toys.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 2:40 am

Definition of "feminism" from dictionary.com:

Quote:
1. the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
2. (sometimes initial capital letter) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.

Note that feminism is about rights. It's not about dictating a particular role for women.

AquaineBay wrote:
Modern Feminism seems to take on the idea that everybody is equal regardless of gender and that either gender can do whatever they want regardless of the innate biological differences. Thing is, biologically men and women ARE different and in general men and women have different values, goals in life, likes and dislikes, and many other innate biological things that just makes men and women different and while you have those select few who defy these innate biological differences, most people do not.

People (and especially autistic people!) are unique individuals, with their own unique sets of strengths and weaknesses.

It should not be assumed that someone has a particular ability/goal/whatever, or not, merely because of one's gender. The differences between men and women are statistical average differences, not absolute differences. Most people probably "defy" at least one of these many statistically average differences, even if they fit their culture's notions of "femininity" or "masculinity" overall. Also, some apparent differences are cultural rather than biological in origin.

People should not be pressured to conform to a gender-based role. People should have the right to be their own unique individual selves, insofar as they can do so without stepping on the rights of others.

And, also, as Fnord pointed out: Women should not be regarded as personal servants to men. A marriage, or a romantic relationship, should be a partnership, in which both partners treat each other with respect.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 4:00 am

I have never been in a group of men where the word "feminism" ever was mentioned.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 4:17 am

Fnord wrote:
The root of feminism seems to be firmly grounded in a woman's inalienable right to say "No".

"No, I do not want to fetch your drinks, cook your meals, or keep your house clean."

This somehow threatens men who believe that women were created to be their personal servants and sex toys.

Old feminism yes. Now it's morphed into saying "Yes" at inappropriate moments "We need a new manager to overlook the fitting of 100 wind turbines on that mountain. Should we pick this lady with no experience in engineering whatsoever over these men with extensive experience in this exact field? Yes!! !! !!"

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 6:22 am

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Old feminism yes. Now it's morphed into saying "Yes" at inappropriate moments "We need a new manager to overlook the fitting of 100 wind turbines on that mountain. Should we pick this lady with no experience in engineering whatsoever over these men with extensive experience in this exact field? Yes!! ! ! ! !"

Exactly. They added positive discrimination against men to the concept. Because when a woman gets a job even if there are men that are more qualified, this is discrimination. Another thing is that the problems women create in relation to men are never viewed as problems, rather as things women are allowed to do. For instance, when men select women based on youth or looks they are horrible, but when women seek men with money and status, it's more like a right for them. The same with women requiring their potential partners to earn more. Actually, it creates real problems when women only want the top 20% or so of the men. However, feminism doesn't care and view it as a right.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 9:46 am

Oh okay but when you say women only want 20% or so of the men, do the men want more than 20% of the women or are men not as picky?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 9:50 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay but when you say women only want 20% or so of the men, do the men want more than 20% of the women or are men not as picky?
Without citation, "20%" is only an assumption.  Do not take it literally.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:01 am

ironpony wrote:

Yes, they are picky too, but they are questioned for it (why do you only like young, beautiful women, lower your standards man), while it is ok for women to be picky.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:03 am

Fnord wrote:
ironpony wrote:

It's not an exact figure, but both men & women prefer only a small minority of the opposite sex. It doesn't matter so much if it is 1%, 5%, or 20%.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:17 am

rdos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ironpony wrote:
It's not an exact figure, but both men & women prefer only a small minority of the opposite sex. It doesn't matter so much if it is 1%, 5%, or 20%.
Oh, I agree with the general assessment -- after all, I am attracted to only a small portion of the female population, and only 1 woman in particular -- it is just the enumeration of a percentage that "gets to me".  It is an Aspie thing; nothing personal.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 2:42 pm

Oh okay it's just in the post before, it was said that only 20% of men are attractive to women, and it was said like it was a bad thing, but since I thought it was probably the same percentage, the other way around, then I thought it would even out, and therefore not one-sided, unless I am wrong :).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 3:33 pm

It's bullcrap to say that women are only attracted to 20% of the men.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 4:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's bullcrap to say that women are only attracted to 20% of the men.

That doesn't bode well given the global sperm count is going down.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-18/ ... /100073450

Might need to start freezing the old boys...