Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Have you struggled in a college English class before?
Yes 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Not In College/Non Applicable 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

babybluejay46
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2021, 3:25 pm

Hey there you all. I'm a college student who is currently struggling in English class. It's English 101, and my teacher requires us to present an argumentative response to an essay that we wrote in class. The problem I'm having is that she isn't allowing us to use any outside sources that would actually help us with the assignment. Only the one that we read in class.

I am struggling to piece this essay together, but I am managing to get it done and completed.

Have any of you ever struggled in a college English class? If yes, how about we talk about them, and offer solutions here.

Thanks for allowing me to share. :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 3:36 pm

What's the topic of that essay?

When you say "we wrote in class", was it a collaborative paper?

Or do you mean that everyone wrote their own and you are now responding to your own paper / someone's else's?

How long does the response need to be?

malayabennette
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2021, 4:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
What's the topic of that essay?

When you say "we wrote in class", was it a collaborative paper?

Or do you mean that everyone wrote their own and you are now responding to your own paper / someone's else's?

How long does the response need to be?

Hi Isabella, I meant that everyone has to write their own paper. Yes, I am responding to someone else's paper. Thank you for helping me clear this up.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 5:01 pm

I almost failed my first college English assignment. I went on to average almost an "A" in my English major.

I understand how overwhelming it can be at first. I sense you will do fine, though.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2021, 7:53 pm

I dropped freshman English comp a number of times because I kept getting instructors using materials that I couldn't relate to well enough to write about. I also didn't do well with having peer reviews of my papers that... weren't helpful. I'm really not sure how these kids tested into regular freshman comp.

It took taking it online via community college to get thru it. They didn't require us to read a course assigned book (not the textbook) and have all our papers refer to it. The uni was trying to get us to relate somehow. The community college just wanted us to get thru it.

I also see people suggest using the college/uni's writing center/tutors, but that was always a bust too. I was told they were there to help with organizing thoughts, not to help with grammar issues or such. I'd come in with a complete paper & they'd just look at me, read it, & say they can't help because it's already organized well & cited correctly. *shrug*

If money & time aren't issues, I'd say drop & take it with another instructor. It might even be worth emailing various instructors ahead of time to ask about how they conduct the course (or ask for their syllabus & calendar). Sometimes the attempts at "engagement" with students just don't work for some of us.

Eta: Yes, some of this is/was a me problem. Some of this is how they've redone the course to appeal to more first gen students and those who come from less rigorous high schools.

It might be worth popping to office hours or shooting off a (properly written) email to the instructor to discuss the issues you're running into. There could be advice or a direction you could go in that you're unaware of or have dismissed.

babybluejay46
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2021, 4:13 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
I dropped freshman English comp a number of times because I kept getting instructors using materials that I couldn't relate to well enough to write about. I also didn't do well with having peer reviews of my papers that... weren't helpful. I'm really not sure how these kids tested into regular freshman comp.

It took taking it online via community college to get thru it. They didn't require us to read a course assigned book (not the textbook) and have all our papers refer to it. The uni was trying to get us to relate somehow. The community college just wanted us to get thru it.

I also see people suggest using the college/uni's writing center/tutors, but that was always a bust too. I was told they were there to help with organizing thoughts, not to help with grammar issues or such. I'd come in with a complete paper & they'd just look at me, read it, & say they can't help because it's already organized well & cited correctly. *shrug*

If money & time aren't issues, I'd say drop & take it with another instructor. It might even be worth emailing various instructors ahead of time to ask about how they conduct the course (or ask for their syllabus & calendar). Sometimes the attempts at "engagement" with students just don't work for some of us.

Eta: Yes, some of this is/was a me problem. Some of this is how they've redone the course to appeal to more first gen students and those who come from less rigorous high schools.

It might be worth popping to office hours or shooting off a (properly written) email to the instructor to discuss the issues you're running into. There could be advice or a direction you could go in that you're unaware of or have dismissed.

Thank you for your comments. I realized what the issue is—- we are at community college level and she is teaching us as if it is a Masters’ level class. I got things figured out. She is also starting to give us more than just two days to do our assignments.

Again, thank you all for your comments