Are you fully vaccinated for COVID-19?

Page 7 of 13 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jul 2021, 3:36 pm

I didn't read the whole thread so I am not sure if this has been posted yet or not but in case it has not :arrow:

CDC, FDA contradict Pfizer on COVID-19 vaccine booster

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... ne-booster

Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) late yesterday contradicted vaccine makers Pfizer-BioNTech on their assertion that people who received the two-dose mRNA vaccine will likely need a third booster dose of vaccine within 6 to 12 months of initial administration.

Pfizer said it was working on developing a new mRNA vaccine that targets rising variants of concern, including Delta (B1617.2). They also said initial small trial results show a third booster dose of the current vaccine raised antibodies to variants, including Delta and Beta.

"While Pfizer and BioNTech believe a third dose of BNT162b2 has the potential to preserve the highest levels of protective efficacy against all currently known variants including Delta, the companies are remaining vigilant and are developing an updated version of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine that targets the full spike protein of the Delta variant," Pfizer-BioNTech said in a press release yesterday.

In an interview with Reuters, Pfizer's chief scientific officer, Mikael Dolsten, MD, PhD, said recent evidence from Israel shows waning protection 6 months after vaccine recipients had completed their second dose of the vaccine.

"It's a small data set, but I think the trend is accurate: Six months out, given that Delta is the most contagious variant we have seen, it can cause infections and mild disease," Dolsten said of the evidence from Israel. He said his company would be submitting data to the FDA by the end of the month to request authorization of a booster dose.

But late yesterday afternoon CDC and FDA issued their own statement.

"Americans who have been fully vaccinated do not need a booster shot at this time," the federal agencies said. "We continue to review any new data as it becomes available and will keep the public informed. We are prepared for booster doses if and when the science demonstrates that they are needed."

Michael T. Osterholm, PhD, MPH, director of the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, publisher of CIDRAP News, said he personally and professionally supports the message from the CDC and FDA, but he wishes companies and government agencies could better coordinate messages in the future.

"The events of the past day only add to the public's confusion about whether we in the public health community and vaccine communities have our act together, and that's terribly unfortunate, because it only undercuts our ability to promote these vaccines," he said.

"This is not a matter of inconvenience; this is a matter of public credibility."
States tackle Delta rise

The United States reported 20,061 new COVID-19 cases yesterday, and 257 deaths, according to the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 tracker.

In Missouri, which is one of the country's biggest Delta hot spots, Gov. Mike Parson said he doesn't want government employees going door-to-door to encourage people to get vaccinated, the Associated Press reports. Earlier this week President Biden said the federal government would be focused on smaller, community efforts to vaccinate hesitant Americans, including knocking on doors.

"I have directed our health department to let the federal government know that sending government employees or agents door-to-door to compel vaccination would NOT be an effective OR a welcome strategy in Missouri!" he tweeted. Missouri is averaging more than 1,000 new cases per day, up from 650 in June.

Local health officials say Los Angeles County is seeing exponential growth of COVID-19 cases as the Delta variant takes over as the dominant strain, according to CNN. The case rate in the county jumped from 1.74 to 3.5 cases per 100,000 people in one week.
Other US developments

Pressure is growing for the FDA to grant full approval to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines to help convince more Americans to get their shots, Politico reported.

Today in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report are two reports on adolescents and COVID-19. The first details an outbreak caused by the Delta variant at an Oklahoma gymnastics facility in April and May. The outbreak included 21 laboratory-confirmed Delta cases and 26 epidemiologically linked cases, with overall facility and household attack rates of 20% and 53%, respectively.

The second study was on vaccine uptake in adolescents. In April, 52% of unvaccinated adolescents aged 13 to 17 years and 56% of parents of unvaccinated adolescents aged 12 to 17 years reported intent for adolescent COVID-19 vaccination. Concerns about safety and side effects were the biggest barriers to vaccination.

When the virus got bad the medical experts were all stressing the importance of social distancing but now the government is wanting to send people door to door to get vaccinated which is completely contradictory with the whole social distancing thing they had been pushing. It's NO F#CKING WONDER LOTS of people do NOT know who or what to trust. I am not the only person who notices the hypocrisy here

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 3:45 pm

OK I'm going to keep away from this thread because I have just booked my first COVID vaccine after months of hesitation and anxiety, and I'm bound to come across something in this thread that might put me off again. I'm trying to avoid anything that involves people arguing over it because somebody's bound to drop a bombshell and share all these links and studies that 'prove' the vaccines aren't working/are a hoax, etc.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 3:55 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Nades wrote:
Multiple fully vaccinated people are dying every day in the UK.
Death rates are skewed because older people die more often than younger people, and they're more likely to be adversely effected by Covid.
From a link I posted earlier:
Quote:
Here’s a simple thought experiment: imagine everyone is now fully vaccinated with COVID vaccines – which are excellent but can’t save all lives. Some people who get infected with COVID will still die. All of these people will be fully vaccinated – 100%. That doesn’t mean vaccines aren’t effective at reducing death.

The risk of dying from COVID doubles roughly every seven years older a patient is. The 35-year difference between a 35-year-old and a 70-year-old means the risk of death between the two patients has doubled five times – equivalently it has increased by a factor of 32. An unvaccinated 70-year-old might be 32 times more likely to die of COVID than an unvaccinated 35-year-old. This dramatic variation of the risk profile with age means that even excellent vaccines don’t reduce the risk of death for older people to below the risk for some younger demographics.

Also, this:
Quote:
PHE data suggests that being double vaccinated reduces the risk of being hospitalised with the now-dominant delta variant by around 96%. Even conservatively assuming the vaccines are no more effective at preventing death than hospitalisation (actually they are likely to be more effective at preventing death) this means the risk of death for double vaccinated people has been cut to less than one-twentieth of the value for unvaccinated people with the same underlying risk profile.

However, the 20-fold decrease in risk afforded by the vaccine isn’t enough to offset the 32-fold increase in underlying risk of death of an 70-year-old over a 35-year-old. Given the same risk of infection, we would still expect to see more double-vaccinated 70-year-olds die from COVID than unvaccinated 35-year-olds. There are caveats to that simple calculation. The risk of infection is not the same for all age groups. Currently, infections are highest in the youngest and lower in older age groups.
Source: Most COVID deaths in England now are in the vaccinated – here’s why that shouldn’t alarm you

This is largely why I'm not overly concerned about infection rates. I think any attempt to control them is futile but sadly that's what governments are trying to do.

When the delta variant hit the UK. The government and scientists were very keen on "breaking the link" between infections and deaths. Emphasis on "breaking the link" and not "breaking infections". They knew full well that vaccines did very little to stop infections.

Now that has largely been forgotten and they're trying to hammer down on infections when the vaccine just isn't up for it and getting cold feet at the time they said they would ease up on restrictions completely.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 4:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:
OK I'm going to keep away from this thread because I have just booked my first COVID vaccine after months of hesitation and anxiety, and I'm bound to come across something in this thread that might put me off again. I'm trying to avoid anything that involves people arguing over it because somebody's bound to drop a bombshell and share all these links and studies that 'prove' the vaccines aren't working/are a hoax, etc.

CONGRATULATIONS!

That is the responsible thing to do and your boyfriend will be very glad!

As will your well-wishers on WP.

And, afterwards, you can tell us which side-effects you had from the shot. I got nothing!, I couldn't even feel the needle, I was kind of disappointed. I was going to complain! My bride got an excuse to lounge around the house for a week--which is mostly what we both did before we got the shots, though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 4:06 pm

^^^i think you're prolly a lot tougher than me. :oops:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 4:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Um...have you had a Shingles shot? That one made my arm hurt! (But I had Shingles some years before and I preferred the shot.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 4:17 pm

Double Retired wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Um...have you had a Shingles shot? That one made my arm hurt! (But I had Shingles some years before and I preferred the shot.)

most yelping shots i've had were lidocaine via 21 ga. [fat] needle in plantar surface of foot and little toes, tied with toradol shots in the keister. both those made me howl. last flu shot i got was nearly as bad, felt like fire injected into my arm, they prolly got too close to a nerve.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 4:47 pm

Off Topic
I've been lucky. So far (fingers crossed) anesthesia has been used effectively to limit any physical pain from the medical procedures I've had.

But right before the Pandemic I spent a week in the hospital. I wasn't in much physical pain but I still hated it. I do not recommend it as a good vacation choice. Everything was noisy and uncomfortable, everything was inconvenient and restrictive. Even the bed was uncomfortable (and noisy!) and I wasn't allowed to use my arms to reposition myself. The hospital has good food which I could not eat because 32 hours of intubation had messed up my ability to swallow. I wish I could've self-medicated with bourbon.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 9:31 pm

Joe90 wrote:
How can they have been working on the vaccines for 10 years if the COVID is a new virus that only started last year? :?

-This- coronavirus strain(s) is new, but coronaviruses themselves are ancient. IIRC, they started work on these vaccines during the last SARS outbreak, which is a very similar virus.

BTW, sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you, that wasn't my intent. I know your phobia isn't something you can just "get over".

Joe90 wrote:
OK I'm going to keep away from this thread because I have just booked my first COVID vaccine after months of hesitation and anxiety...

Good luck!
I still need to reschedule mine. I scheduled one a couple weeks ago, forgetting that we had plans that day >_<
Knowing my luck, as soon as I schedule another one, I'll start feeling sick again...

nick007 wrote:
Two of the jobs I had involved custodial stuff & I never wore gloves even 1ce cuz I hate the feel of them & I may be allergic to latex & I did not pay much attention to washing my hands or other hygiene stuff.

Do they even make latex gloves anymore? The ones at my work, and the ones at the doctors' are always made out of nitrile, because so many people are allergic.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 9:45 pm

I had my second shot the day after my birthday in May.

It just made me sleepy so I took a nap. Which was pretty nice because I hadn't been sleeping much lol

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm

i know when i got my flu shot i had trouble sleeping on that side. a PITA.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 11:08 pm

I've been vaccinated a few months now. I experienced a rare but harmless reaction to it: COVID arm. So far as I know I haven't gotten COVID since though, so WORTH IT.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 11:49 pm

Guillain-Barré syndrome [#1 side effect of the J & J vaccine for those over 50] scares the hell outta me. 8O :o

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jul 2021, 7:16 am

Nades wrote:
When the delta variant hit the UK. The government and scientists were very keen on "breaking the link" between infections and deaths. Emphasis on "breaking the link" and not "breaking infections". They knew full well that vaccines did very little to stop infections.
But clearly, that's not what the data shows - it's actually very effective at stopping infections and the link between infections and deaths has been broken, as shown by the much reduced death rate.
The UK's current infection surge is occurring in the unvaccinated, and it's much the same scenario in the USA. Unfortunately this will probably lead to an increase in hospitalisations and deaths - basically because people have chosen to ignore the vaccinations freely available.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 7:27 am

Move this thread to the health section please!! I came here to change my mind............................

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jul 2021, 7:41 am

Fair comment - moved to Health, Fitness, and Sports.

BTW, these requests are best posted here viewtopic.php?t=391105 - or PM a moderator directly.