Are you fully vaccinated for COVID-19?

Page 12 of 13 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 2:29 am

does this covid thing blow the standard flu bug out of the water? or will i also have to innoculate against the flu also? i feel like a blinkin' pin cushion!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 2:32 am

auntblabby wrote:
does this covid thing blow the standard flu bug out of the water? or will i also have to innoculate against the flu also? i feel like a blinkin' pin cushion!

Better to be a pin cushion than dead I suppose.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 2:52 am

next time i want EMLA.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 4:08 am

auntblabby wrote:

Last year they were recommending to get the flu vaccine, so that if you get sick, you won't have to worry about whether it's Covid, or just the regular flu.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Aug 2021, 4:11 am

Flu and covid are completely different viruses and require completely different vaccines.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 9:53 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Last year they were recommending to get the flu vaccine, so that if you get sick, you won't have to worry about whether it's Covid, or just the regular flu.

Except that the flu jab isn't very effective - during one recent year it was only about 37% in the UK - so you could still catch flu quite easily. I think the main reason they urged people to get it was that they wanted to reduce the strain on the hospitals so they'd be less likely to be overwhelmed. They're unlikely to consider the individual in much detail. They'll just work on the simplistic basis that anybody over a certain age is vulnerable to flu.

When they feared a shortage of face masks for the health workers, they told us masks didn't work, which we now know isn't quite correct. I don't judge them too harshly for that, but knowing how they're likely to disguise a request to behave in the public interest as something else undermines my trust in them.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 12:36 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I think the main reason they urged people to get it was that they wanted to reduce the strain on the hospitals so they'd be less likely to be overwhelmed.

Yeah, I thought I remembered them saying that as well, but I wasn't sure, so I didn't mention it.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 7:16 am

Well huh, had second dose of Pfizer and broke out in itchy spots all over arms and neck and trunk.
Hives, maybe?
Think I reacted to something in the vaccine.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 3:18 pm

uh oh, i'm due for my 2nd on the 27th. the first one was unpleasant enough.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 6:16 am

Well, nobody else I know has had that reaction, so it's probably just me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 12:14 pm

^^^well at least it is your 2nd dose so you have no more worries, unless they approve booster shots.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 2:45 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
Well huh, had second dose of Pfizer and broke out in itchy spots all over arms and neck and trunk.
Hives, maybe?
Think I reacted to something in the vaccine.
Might you be allergic to one of the ingredients in the vaccine?

It might be worth mentioning this when you next see you Primary Care Physician. Your first choice would seem to be vaccines that don't have whatever that mystery ingredient is.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

23 Aug 2021, 4:14 pm

"There were a small number of people in Moderna's trial — about 7% — that didn't get their second dose for unknown reasons. In this group, the shot was 50.8% effective at preventing COVID-19 with symptoms for up to 14 days after the first dose and 92.1% effective after 14 days."

"Pfizer's shot was 52.4% effective at protecting against COVID-19 with symptoms between the first and second dose, according to the FDA documents. But the 52.4% figure includes the 11 days before protection kicks in after the first dose, so the real percentage could well be higher."

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-vaccine-one-shot-effectiveness-pfizer-moderna-astrazeneca-vaccines-dose-2021-3

So I guess, even right after the shot there is a fair amount of protection against symptoms.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2021, 2:59 pm

Everyone in my family is fully vaccinated, and with good reason.
My older daughter (age 24) was someone with extremely good health--a highly trained athlete who did workouts that astonished the guys at the gym (she is only 5' high and weighs 110--but could leg press more than 500 lbs).
And then last October she got Covid. She had a high fever for TEN weeks, heart arrhythmia, pneumonia, etc. Now she has what they call Long Covid. Even though she is no longer obviously sick and tests negative for the virus, she still has horrible headaches, muscles aches, brain fog and fatigue. She doesn't have the energy to go to the gym, has lost interest in most of her hobbies, and has trouble concentrating enough to do her job.
Covid ruined her life.
I understand that some of you only suffered something like a mild flu. But please bear in mind that other people have become severely ill, lost important abilities, or even died. The infection and mortality rate for people with autism is much higher than it is for most of the population. Please, please get the vaccine. Or--if you won't--be very, very careful.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 2:35 am

there are people in my little town who were not old, and they were afflicted with/succumbed to covid. some were vaccinated. that is what scared my sister from getting the injections earlier, the fact that people she knew who were vaccinated still got seriously sick. i realize the vaccine is far from perfect, but it is the best we can do, and it is all i have to grab onto for safety.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 9:15 am

Fully vaccinated since May of this year. I will likely get a booster when available (as I have chronic health issues).

I likely had a "mild" case of the alpha variant in March 2020 which led to long COVID and an exacerbation of my underlying health issues. I had such severe GI issues (dysmotility/gastroparesis), that I could not eat without severe stomach pain, nausea, and dizziness. I couldn't eat anything fibrous (fruits and veggies) or crunchy, and my meals had to be small so I could stomach them. It was very difficult for me to get my needed calories. I developed even more allergies/sensitivities than I already had. I pretty much survived on broth, mushy foods, white rice, and chicken for 18 months, and lost so much weight that I could barely function. My pre-existing dysautonomia and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and chronic pain worsened. Doctors did not realize at the time that I had long COVID, and most of them blamed my symptoms on stress (which made no sense as my symptoms didn't subside with regular therapy or anxiety medication).

We realized that my eating issues were likely COVID-related when my symptoms suddenly and dramatically improved 2.5 weeks after the second Moderna dose. It was totally unexpected, and I was one of the lucky ones that saw this sort of improvement. I'm still not at 100 percent, but I'm gaining weight and eating some of my favorite things again! I'm absolutely terrified of this delta variant. I do not want to go through that ever again.