Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 7:11 pm

One way to show your partner just how much you regret the action and are upset by the fact that it happened is to talk to a therapist about it.

It is easy to say you won't do something again. It is a lot more difficult to dig into all the "whys" of how it might have happened and do the work it might take to make sure it never happens again.

What was your first reaction after you hit her leg? If it wasn't "OMG, I'm so sorry, I thought I was just hitting the bed" it may be your follow up that messed things up more than the accident. Why you instinctively went into the inappropriate follow up instead of instant regretful shock will be worth exploring.

You have baggage from your situation growing up that will need to be dealt with. The best of intentions won't matter if there is damage from that history that you do not yet understand and have not dealt with. So dig into the roots.

I have some experience with this issue and can tell you that the men who lose their partners are the ones who are either too afraid or willful to dig inside and do the work to make sure they don't repeat the patterns. Unfortunately, not wanting to repeat the patterns is not always enough to keep you from inadvertently repeating the patterns. You can, however, improve your odds greatly and defeat that scars left by the history by working with a professional on it. When you do that, she will know exactly how serious you are about making sure you deal with future conflict in a healthier and more appropriate way.