Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 5:46 am

I've figured out that the reason why I don't like phoning places like doctors offices is because I dread having to say my name. 9 times out of 10 people mishear my name no matter how clearly I say it, and I find myself having to spell it out for them and it's annoying.
My name isn't really common but it isn't rare either, it's well heard of and is rather simple.

It is why I avoid phoning people who aren't family or friends and would prefer to email instead. But sometimes that option isn't always available and I have no choice but to phone up. But having a stupid name like mine deters me from making phonecalls.

For privacy reasons I won't say what my name is here.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 9:23 am

Same, though clearly for a different reason. I haven't liked my name or saying it since I was a kid, but I was an adult by the time I realized what might have caused it. You see, when I was small, my sister and half sister picked on me by singing this song that was about a woman who was my namesake. Looking back, it's not that embarrassing, but it was a song about marriage and such, so for a little girl in the "yuck, boys are gross!" -phase it was really embarrassing. I think that song just ruined it for me.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 8:03 am

I've always just disliked saying my name because my mouth feels weird saying it.

I was teased for it as a kid - they rhymed it with something nasty.

Then at work it was shortened to a form I didn't like and I couldn't get anyone to call me by my full name no matter how hard I tried.

Years later I went to uni and I went by a shortened form of my name that I did like. It rhymes with Sam and some people call me Sam when they meet me for the first time. It helps that at the store I volunteer at I have a name badge.

I was also teased as a teenager for my last name. It was uncommon but not unheard of. When I got married I acquired what I think is an awesome name that I'm proud to have. It's Swiss-French and it's rare.

And Joe, I now have to spell out my name every time I make an appointment at the doctor! :wink:

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 1:14 am

People get my name wrong, I hate saying it to other people, they misheard my name too, I even spell ít, they still get it wrong.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2021, 2:33 am

My last name has unobvious spelling so I always say it as "magz spelled with z" (not literally ;) ) if someone has to write it down from hearing.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 12:06 am

Joe90 wrote:
I've figured out that the reason why I don't like phoning places like doctors offices is because I dread having to say my name. 9 times out of 10 people mishear my name no matter how clearly I say it, and I find myself having to spell it out for them and it's annoying.
My name isn't really common but it isn't rare either, it's well heard of and is rather simple.

It is why I avoid phoning people who aren't family or friends and would prefer to email instead. But sometimes that option isn't always available and I have no choice but to phone up. But having a stupid name like mine deters me from making phonecalls.

For privacy reasons I won't say what my name is here.

I feel exactly the same!! !! I can’t imagine myself with a different name because I’ve had it all of my life, but I think often about how I wish my name was easier to say. Everyone always mishears me, and I hate saying it. I don’t say my own name correctly, I hate it.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 12:10 am

I chose a really common, easy to pronounce and spell name when I changed mine because my birthname used to get misspelled and confused for another name all the time. It also had ties to religion which I hated. If I wasn't trans I still would have probably changed my first name.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 12:13 am

I've never liked my name. When I called places as a young boy I was triggered when parcels arrived with my name misgendered as Ms. because my name works either way (although the spelling I use is exclusively a male name, there's a homophonic name that works for both).

Ignoring that aspect I don't like that it's a Jewish Biblical name because I'm not Christian or Jewish and would prefer a name of either Abenaki or English (or at least more broadly Algonquian or Germanic) origins.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 12:23 am

As a child I purposely spelt my first name and surname incorrectly. I liked them better my way, because they were more distinct. Or maybe actually they were less distinct? Either way, I was always uncomfortable having a name of any sort, and hearing and saying it out loud. Life would be so much easier if I could just be invisible or undefined.

I really liked my surname and my initials when I was married but then I went back to my maiden name. Years later I changed my name legally, for protection after my trauma experience. I still don't quite identify with my name, or with any name. I think Isabella feels more real than any of them, because I don't have to hear or say it out loud.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 12:34 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
As a child I purposely spelt my first name and surname incorrectly. I liked them better my way, because they were more distinct. Or maybe actually they were less distinct? Either way, I was always uncomfortable having a name of any sort, and hearing and saying it out loud. Life would be so much easier if I could just be invisible or undefined.

I really liked my surname and my initials when I was married but then I went back to my maiden name. Years later I changed my name legally, for protection after my trauma experience. I still don't quite identify with my name, or with any name. I think Isabella feels more real than any of them, because I don't have to hear or say it out loud.

I actually enjoy people calling me Hero/Hylian more than people referring to me by my IRL name. Something about online pseudonyms just hits different. lmao