Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 9:22 am

Someone recently changed the link in my sig line to one for a sarcastic video.  Only myself, a moderator, or a hacker could have done this, and it was NOT ME!  I have corrected my sig line and changed my password.

Check your signature lines regularly, correct them if needed, and save a copy of your sig lines off-site.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 11:02 am

Fnord wrote:
Someone recently changed the link in my sig line to one for a sarcastic video.  Only myself, a moderator, or a hacker could have done this, and it was NOT ME!  I have corrected my sig line and changed my password.

Check your signature lines regularly, correct them if needed, and save a copy of your sig lines off-site.

Thanks for the warning.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 5:31 pm

Maybe Cornflake can check your login IPs/user-agent for anything obvious? It seems an odd thing for a someone to do with a compromised account though. Are you certain you don't have some sort of redirecting malware or prank software on your machine?

Edit: also what was the video? Has it been posted here before? It might give us an idea of the perpetrator, assuming there is one.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Jul 2021, 11:21 am

At the time of this post - 49,346 posts over 526 unique IPs, of which 71 are used only once, and none of which can be referenced back to login times unfortunately makes investigation practically impossible.
Also, the user-agent isn't recorded - at least, not by anything I have access to.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 12:17 pm

Cornflake wrote:
At the time of this post - 49,346 posts over 526 unique IPs, of which 71 are used only once, and none of which can be referenced back to login times unfortunately makes investigation practically impossible.
Also, the user-agent isn't recorded - at least, not by anything I have access to.

Ah. Not a lot that can be done then.

Though you might run the IPs through a geolocation script, if there's a login from Tibet or a state Fnord has never visited, that would shore up the signature-vandalising hacker theory.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Jul 2021, 12:23 pm

Or the use of a VPN... :wink:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 12:26 pm

Or an "accidental" discovery of my password...

In any case, I trust Cornflake's explanation that moderators have not the capability to "hack" an account.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Jul 2021, 12:33 pm

Yep - forum moderators are, as the name implies, limited to activities on post/thread content only (although each also owns a shiny banhammer).

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 11:19 pm

I think Pepe's might've been hacked, too ;)

Let me check mine... *clicks "Submit"*

traven
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 2:12 am

** something weird occurred not so long ago, mr F created a sticky???? which wasn't deleted but locked,
so who's the victim now?? ** skeptically** :jester:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Jul 2021, 6:48 am

He created the thread but I made it a sticky - members can't create stickies.
It was locked because it's intended as a single informational post, not a discussion thread; instead, readers are invited in the post to PM suggestions for possible inclusion.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 8:13 am

Cornflake wrote:
He created the thread but I made it a sticky -- members can't create stickies.  It was locked because it's intended as a single informational post, not a discussion thread; instead, readers are invited in the post to PM suggestions for possible inclusion.
To elaborate:

• It was locked at MY request.

• As time goes on, and more resources are found, I ask Cornflake to add them to the list.

• The second post (from me, as well) is also in informational post.

• Hence, the purpose of that thread is to provide tools by which WP members can decide for themselves what is Truth, and what is merely fake news and conspiracy theory.

If anyone has any suggestions for additional resources, then please PM me with the link.

Thank you.

-"Mr. F"-

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 10:15 am

Cornflake wrote:
He created the thread but I made it a sticky - members can't create stickies.
It was locked because it's intended as a single informational post, not a discussion thread; instead, readers are invited in the post to PM suggestions for possible inclusion.

Speaking of sticky threads, the number of stickies in the GAD forum have diminished and I just wondered why, not that I ever did find any purpose in reading or posting in those threads and I've seen more useful and exciting threads that could have been stickies.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Jul 2021, 4:10 pm

Ooh, so they have. "It wasn't me guv, honest" *looks shifty anyway*

Apparently Alex has had a tidy-up - I think there were quite a few in there, maybe taking up 1/2 the front page?
He's generally against creating stickies because they can take up valuable "real estate" on the front page, with new posts appearing further down the page and getting pushed onto the second page sooner.